Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased my first board and want a bag for it. Since I don't have a rack for my boards, I fold one of my rear seats down to fit my board in the car. I don't think I'll travel a lot with the board involving flights but there have been talks with my friends regarding a trip to Vermont or Colorado or somewhere with real snow instead of the ice crap we have in the tri-state area (NJ, PA, NY). I guess I want a bag that is padded since my friend bought one online and it has absolutely no padding haha so I want something that has padding. I also want to put my boots with it so if I do fly somewhere, I can just put them in as luggage and not have to worry about lugging my boots around. I only have one board so don't really need space for another board although having extra space wouldn't hurt for extra gear?

The bags I've been looking at and cheapest I've found it for:
Dakine Freestyle (157 or 165) for $24.93
Dakine Tour (157 or 166) for $39.93
Dakine Low Roller (157 or 165) for $59.93

I did read somewhere that I should get a bag that is bigger than my board so I can fit more stuff but I don't think I'll be taking that much stuff if I go say west to board. I Dakine Low Roller looks very tempting since it's fairly cheap and the only difference I can find between the Low Roller and the Tour is that the Low Roller has wheels and duel end carrying handles which I guess won't really matter to me.

I am open to options and would like to stay under....$70.00 on the bag since I spent enough on my board, boot, binding, pants, gloves, goggles etc.. haha

Also, what websites should I look at for bags??

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
The low roller is a sweet bag get it. My kids have them and they pack a ton in there. Plus the boot pockets on the outside is nice to keep the items in the bag cleaner.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The low roller is a sweet bag get it. My kids have them and they pack a ton in there. Plus the boot pockets on the outside is nice to keep the items in the bag cleaner.
what color does your kids have? I'm stuck between Black, Black patch, and alpine plaid. if its not too much trouble, could you post a pic? just trying to see what it actually looks like. thanks!

$

·
0 Posts
I actually kind of didn't like the low roller as much as I would have hoped... It had extra plastic protection on one end of the bag, but didn't have it on the other end. Aside from that gripe it definitely worked fine though.

Personally, I really like the Burton wheelie gig bag... has plastic protection on both sides of the bag.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I actually kind of didn't like the low roller as much as I would have hoped... It had extra plastic protection on one end of the bag, but didn't have it on the other end. Aside from that gripe it definitely worked fine though.

Personally, I really like the Burton wheelie gig bag... has plastic protection on both sides of the bag.
I guess having plastic protection on both ends of the bag would be nice but that bag is over my budget haha

What size should I get? 157 or something bigger like 165???

$

·
0 Posts
not sure if the bakoda bag will fit boots. With the burton bag I'm currently using, I was able to fit a weeks worth of clothes and all of my boarding gear in it. It is a 156 bag and I have a 155 board.

I'm guessing a 157 bag should be fine unless you really want to put a lot of extra stuff in your bag!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I only plan on putting my board + binding, boots, and maybe pants, gloves, jacket if I'm going somewhere far.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Im not positive because the size of your boots play a role, but you should be able to put your boots inside.... If they're much wider then your bindings you may have an issue.

The top of the board bag will work to store other things as well.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
what color does your kids have? I'm stuck between Black, Black patch, and alpine plaid. if its not too much trouble, could you post a pic? just trying to see what it actually looks like. thanks!
I have 3 lol. a red plaid a regular plaid and a black with some sort of design on it. My wife and i have burton wheelie bags. The dakine ones are just as nice if not nicer. You cant go wrong with black get it! The reason we like the dakine is where we board the parking lot is dirt. So at the end of the day when you put your boots in the burton bag the mud will get all over things. The boot pockets on the outside of the dakine prevents that. We have had zero problem with either brand and flown with them 3 times. No tears or anything.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have size 10 boots

Thanks bbissell, I guess I'll get the dakine low rider haha. ahhh more money out of the bank =[

·
Registered
188 Posts
i'm looking at the high roller for myself or the burton model,

whats the difference between the low and the high? other then looks?

·
Registered
190 Posts
hey mysterl33, i forgot to add in that other thread that part of my purchases last month was a board bag.

i know i went a little overboard, and you don't really need that nice of a bag to house your board in, but i just went excessive and got a North Face Base Camp Board Sleeve for my snowboard. let me tell you, it's the sickest thing ever. totally unnecessary, but looks and functions so well.

but yeah, size up, always.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
looks like the place where I found the 157cm for $59.93 is out of the black one. should've grabbed it last night haha

so. should I wait it out for the prices to drop more? I can't seem to find it for less than $80 now.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I just use an old LAMAR bag with very little padding and only 1 strap in the middle of the board. I just took the plane with it last week. I put one board in there with my boots interlocked between the bindings. I use 3 towels to add some padding in there to somewhat protect the edges a little more.

One thing I'd chime in on though is the design/colorway on it...personally I'd go for the loudest/ugliest pattern just because it'll be easier to spot from a distance in the airport if someone tries to walk away with your shit.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
One thing I'd chime in on though is the design/colorway on it...personally I'd go for the loudest/ugliest pattern just because it'll be easier to spot from a distance in the airport if someone tries to walk away with your shit.
yea I was thinking of getting the Alpine stripe thing colorway since it'll def. be easier to spot haha but I'd also tie some bright colored fabric on the handles to make it pop out even more haha

So I'm up for more suggestions. I guess I prefer a wheeled bag since it'll be easier to transport. Padding is a must since I value my board even though it might not the be the best or w/e haha it took a lot of hard work to pay for it so def. want to protect it.

Price range would be anything below $80. Thanks.

·
Registered
188 Posts
well then geta wheeled one, just wait for the sales, well then i'm lookin into a locker or the high roller, just not liking the pricing, but its what you gotta pay unless sales will be on soon for those things.....

1 - 20 of 39 Posts