Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I did a quick search of the forum and couldn't find anything that was too relevant to this...

Was curious what everyone uses to carry around their gear when they travel international - I was about to buy a Burton wheelie locker, but I read a couple reviews that their plastics break really easy (such as strap hooks, etc.) and you can fill it to less than half and already go over your baggage limit.

I was wondering what everyone else uses, since most of Dakine's bags place boots, etc. outside the case and that's just more things you need to padlock.

So, what bag/s do you take?

·
The Swiss Miss
7,449 Posts
Bought my Dakine in a shop where they also had burton but the shop guy adviced me to take a Dakine cause they are more durable.

I like to have externa boot pockets, so the (smelly or wet/dirty) boots are separated from the other clothes which stay fresh. Packed my womans Dakine low roller 157 with a 163 (!) board without bindings and a 158 board with bindings, helmet, goggles, shovel, probe, 2 pullovers, trousers, jacket, boots, backprotector and gloves -> pretty full, could stuff it with some underware. No idea about the weight yet, have no scale ;)

What is the baggage limit you mention?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was my thoughts! The Dakine bags look more heavily padded/structured than the Burton.

Depending who you fly, from el-cheapo you can get as low as 17kg checked baggage limit upto the more established airlines where you can take 23-25kg.

If you're over the weight or size limit they charge extra and extra.

Would like to try and avoid $150-$200 charges each way :D

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Hey,

I did a quick search of the forum and couldn't find anything that was too relevant to this...

Was curious what everyone uses to carry around their gear when they travel international - I was about to buy a Burton wheelie locker, but I read a couple reviews that their plastics break really easy (such as strap hooks, etc.) and you can fill it to less than half and already go over your baggage limit.

I was wondering what everyone else uses, since most of Dakine's bags place boots, etc. outside the case and that's just more things you need to padlock.

So, what bag/s do you take?
Depending on whether I am traveling on my own or with my family I use either the the burton wheelie gig bag or the Burton wheelie locker bag I find two of them to be basically bulletproof bags in terms of their strength and durability.

There might be a weak point in the attachment point for the shoulder strap, I don't use that very often. It's much easier to roll the bag.

As far as weight goes the burton bags themselves are not that heavy. From there it's a matter of what you pack in it.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I usually duct tape the edges/corners of my old Daking wheelie board bag because the genius's handling the bags like to drag the damn thing all over the place. Last time I flew into Reno even the duct tape was worn through.

·
The Swiss Miss
7,449 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts