Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question regarding board construction and general thickness of layers. What i'm getting at is basically this. I'm wondering if anyone, specifically board builders, have ever considered putting inlays in the top sheet of a snowboard, similar to what people do to guitars. I'm just curious if cutting designs/patterns down into the board would affect the integrity. I'm not saying cutting very deep just about to the fiberglass, enough to set say a thin plate of various metals. It would be completely flush and cemented somehow in place. I think this could be a way to add a little extra uniquness to any board. So what are everyones thoughts on this? Is the top sheet generally thick enough to allow this? Has it been done before? I couldn't find any info as far as inlaying a snowboard anywhere and never seen anything like it. Hope I put this thread in the right place...thanks for any info, open to criticism...

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Unlike guitars snowboards flex. You'd have to use something with comparable flex properties, or you'll run into problems. My opinion, if it didn't come that way from the factory, it's not worth doing. You'll void your warranty and increase the chance for delam/core damage etc

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Its doable with a veneer top sheet but it has to be done pre lay up. dont try it on a board that is already build

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses. My board has been through a couple seasons and I doubt any warranty still exists so not worried about that. I'm not positive but if only milling down (using CNC) say .030" and not going into next layer down I don't foresee any separation happening. I'm talking relatively thin grooves, small designs, away from edges. Also the flexibility of the metal at that thickness, you could bend it with your fingers. When epoxied or whatever i'm thinking it would become part of the board and flex with it. Not doubting responses but thought a little more info about how I plan to do this was in order.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Have you watched "Every Third Thursday" on YouTube? If not check it out. I bet it's right up you're ally. I think you should give it a shot, but be careful and test it before you take it to a mountain. Don't wanna harm yourself or others on accident.

Good luck

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
there is only one answer:

do it, post up pics of the process, and let us know how it rides.
Will do should be interesting...

Have you watched "Every Third Thursday" on YouTube? If not check it out. I bet it's right up you're ally. I think you should give it a shot, but be careful and test it before you take it to a mountain. Don't wanna harm yourself or others on accident.

Good luck
Good stuff, never heard of it. I've seen the glass snowboard tho that was genius if only it were more durable. I liked the bullet proof board in case any fire fights were to happen. The solar powered one was great too. I'll be watchin more of them thanks.
Definitely will test it "Safety first then teamwork"

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Will do should be interesting...

Good stuff, never heard of it. I've seen the glass snowboard tho that was genius if only it were more durable. I liked the bullet proof board in case any fire fights were to happen. The solar powered one was great too. I'll be watchin more of them thanks.
Definitely will test it "Safety first then teamwork"
I think the one where they mount a paintball gun is awesome. I'd actually like to try jumping a decent sized jump and shoot a target. Lol cheesy maybe but could be pretty fun.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts