Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What board should I get for 50% park 50% all mountain? In the park I'll be riding mostly rails so I'd definitely like something with a softer flex. Out of the park I'll be riding everything from trees and steep hardpack to powder.

Also what size should I be looking at if I'm 6'2 150? I was thinking around 156. I appreciate the help, I snowboarded for 4 or 5 years in the past but I've been skiing more lately so I'm kind of lost when it comes to buying a board.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Buy one board and make it work, or buy two boards. I'd get a cheap jib board cause they get thrashed. And spend a little money on the all mt deck

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
I'd would go with a footed cambered board. Most companies make those type of boards...Ive got a Forum deck that has footed camber and love it. But I've also got a Burton Custom X that's just flat out built for speed, but no so much park. To me, footed camber is an all mountain board. It's great to ride around in and perfect for the park. Plenty of flex and and has plenty of pop underneath your feet for jibs. You can't go wrong. Don't ask yourself what brand per say you need, more like what make up and deck type. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I would say the Arbor westie/blacklist is that you are looking for great all around board or look at the Echelon Orion this years Franken.

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
Salomon Vllain, Flow Verve, Signal Freedom Machine Flat, or the Rossi Rock'n'Rolla. 156 is too big. 152-154 is what you should b looking at.

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
You can't have a board that does both. Unless you like ending up on your face. If you run a dull edge all mountain then you're not really riding all mountain, your just sliding your way down the hill. If you run sharp edges on rails you're going to end up with broken wrists. Buy two boards on clearance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You can't have a board that does both. Unless you like ending up on your face. If you run a dull edge all mountain then you're not really riding all mountain, your just sliding your way down the hill. If you run sharp edges on rails you're going to end up with broken wrists. Buy two boards on clearance.
2 boards might happen somewhere down the line but for this summer/ next season I'm going to have to start with 1. I think I'll be able to get away with sharper edges since I've been skiing park for the last 2 years and will have to hit mellower features to begin with. Thanks for the suggestions. At this point I'm leaning towards the salomon villain, but more input would be great.

I will have to look into investing in a solid cheeseburger.

·
Registered
239 Posts
2 boards might happen somewhere down the line but for this summer/ next season I'm going to have to start with 1. I think I'll be able to get away with sharper edges since I've been skiing park for the last 2 years and will have to hit mellower features to begin with. Thanks for the suggestions. At this point I'm leaning towards the salomon villain, but more input would be great.

I will have to look into investing in a solid cheeseburger.

What's your budget? If you can swing $300 total you can grab something like a K2 Raygun for around $200 and you should have no problem finding a used older model jib specific board around $100 on Craigslist or eBay.

·
Registered
25 Posts
What's your budget? If you can swing $300 total you can grab something like a K2 Raygun for around $200 and you should have no problem finding a used older model jib specific board around $100 on Craigslist or eBay.
X2 on the raygun. Thats what i ride,I keep thinking I want a new board just for park....
But then I get off the lift and remember how much i like this thing.
great all mountain,I havent hit rails on it....but lots and lots of boxes,does great Boardsliding Boxes + Funny Fail - YouTube.
(boardslides,nose/tail slides/presses okay,nothing spectacular though)
i have talked to a lot of people on the mountain who agreee with me,this is a fun all mountain board,that isnt afraid of the park.

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
Footed camber has cambered sections underneath your feet with rocker on the tips and center of the board...Thats what I call it atleast. Check out the Travis Rice Pro. It has "footed camber"... <---camber - rocker - camber--->

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I picked up a salomon villain. What bindings would be good for probably 60% park and 40% all mountain? I've been looking at cartels, union forces, and union contact pros.

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
Salomon Holograms or Districts. That's what I rode them on, I ride Holograms. GREAT bindings.

From your list if '13 The Cartels or if you like soft bindings the Contact Pro's. I will reserve suggestions regarding the Force '14 till I ride them. I actually have high hopes. I just don't want to be let down and cry.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm leaning towards the holograms. Do you think they will be too soft for some faster all mountain/ freeride while still spending a lot of time in the park?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I love my 2013 cartels. I put a lot of days on them this past season and they've held up really well. They are a great(est?) All around binder. The straps seem to have stretched out though. Consider that if you buy some and are on the m / L bubble.
-endorsement :huh:

·
Registered
848 Posts
I love the holograms they are not really that soft when you go edge to edge only when you go tip to tail. I rode them on my blacklist all last season and never wanted to take them off.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts