Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Here is another guy who needs help with choosing a new board. Until now I have been riding this one: (rossignol imperial series 155 - Rossignol Imperial 155 cm Snowboard | Overstock.com). I am riding for 7 years now and with this board is difficult to handle stuff I like so I decided to switch to sth. better. I am looking for some good rocker/camber hybrid and I of course have a few expectations (if it matters i have Burton Cartel size L bindings and Flow Rift 10,5 size - my feet are actually 9 - 9.5 but Flows are smaller):
1, float in powder. I want sth that will float in pow, cause i am riding freeride a lot.
2, fast and accurate turns. We are also riding a lot in forest terrain and I need sth. that allows me easilly and with accuracy maneuvre between a lot of trees (frequently in deep snow)
3, carving. I want sth that can hold its edge in powder or at groomer (if there is no opportunity to go freeride, I love speed carving on red, black or sometimes double black diamond slopes and I want sth that will not lose its edge every second turn)
4, swich riding. I want sth. that is comfortable to ride switch, cause I love to throw 180 and so on, on natural features in free terrain(and on groomers too)

And also there are some thing that I can survive without, but will be welcomed… and that are pop (can be usefull in free to ollie over sth. I cant circumvent) and easy air spin (we dont have a park in our region, but if its somewhere possible I like to dial some rotations on kickers)

Btw. I am 185cm an 67-70kg…

I am wondering about FLow Solitude 2013 (Snowboard Products | Snowboards, Snowboarding Boots, Bindings, Bags, Accessories & Equipment) or maybe flow maverick but it seems to me too much focused on pow...

I am sorry about my English :)
Thanks for advices :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry, i forgot to mention... i am from Central Europe... never summer snowboards are impossible to get here :/

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Will the Drifter float well? Cause I thik I need sth less park and more freeride... The nearest park is 200km away and I usually get there once, maybe twice a year :)

·
Registered
600 Posts
Spirit, anything worth owning is difficult to get here in Eastern Europe. I live in Prague, but I'm Canadian and the selection here sucks for snowboards. Even finding good high end skis is a difficult task. With boards its either cheap Czech-made Gravity boards or Burton or some random boards here and there, with a lot of year or 2 year old stock and stupidly over priced.

I found this, you might be interested in and they ship to Slovakia as well.
Snowboard Shop | Snowboardy, snowboardy výprodej, snowboardy slevy | SPORTZ.CZ Online

·
Registered
600 Posts
Also, you can use zbozi.cz to search for the cheapest deals. I think that's how I found my Lib Tech TRS

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I just want to ask... You all are advicing me some quite freestyle boards (aka Drifter)... ad in my life I had just two or three opportunities to hit the big air kicker and I have NEVER hit a rail... the most familar to freestyle thing I can do is 360 and a variety of grabs... All we have been doing for whole time was groomer carving and doing stupidities around, zigzaggery between trees and going down quite steep (powder) slopes (no rarely with scrub or trees)... I think i should be more accurate before i posted this thread... What would be suitable? Max price I can afford is 400, maximum 450€ no more. is Solitude wrong choice for that?(I found Solitude for 310€, Drifter for 245€, but I am not sure if I would be sattisfied with Drifter)

OU812: thx for sugestion... In CZ is much more choice avalible and frequently cheaper :)

·
Registered
762 Posts
The Drifter is more a rip the whole mountain kind of board than a pure freestyle deck. You had mentioned wanting quick handling, float but still playful and able to ride it switch fairly easily. Once you move to more freeride oriented boards you are going to start losing those last two abilities. Is there any chance you could demo it first just to see how it feels to you?

·
Registered
141 Posts
If you can get Rossignol boards, check out the Rossi One Magtek. It has camber underfoot and rocker at the tip and tail for better float in powder as well as magnetraction (multiple contact points along the edge for grip in ice). I believe it is also a true twin so it rides the same switch. I can't comment on the pop but with rocker at the tip and tail, you gain float but lose pop. I also don't think Rossi has put in any tech to increase pop on rockered boards like some other companies (K2 for example).

You can read TheGoodRide's Review of the Rossi One Magtek here:Rossignol One Magtek Snowboard Review | The Good RideThe Good Ride

It's rated as one of their favorite boards and the review is quite convincing.

EDIT: I just re-read TheGoodRide's review and they didn't rate it quite so well in powder... Oh well. How many pow days do you get in Slovakia? Where I am most of my time is spent on groomers. Icy groomers at that. So depending on how much powder you get, you may want to look at a board that's better in powder and not as great on groomers, etc. You might have to sacrifice some things to get something else and it's all about choosing the board with benefits that are more important than others.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Burton Sherlock would be very good for all needs listed, float in pow, quickturns in trees, etc, except hard charging reds and blacks due to hybrid shape.

Burton custom X is great for hard charging riding groomers and carving due to cambered shape but not so powder oriented.

I think the needs listed will require some compromise as they lead to different boards. If you really free ride lots of pow then get a board for that but if pow is rare then focus on the aggressive board type.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I suppose Never Summer Raptor of 3 last seasons (season 13/14 is going to be too stiff according to new catalog).

It matches you 1-3 points very well.
It has very good float, it is good for carving enough and it is very maneuverable in deep snow and trees. It is also very damp and comfortable on hardpack and moguls.
It is not a really stiff board like oldshool NS Titan or Arbor Crossbow. And rather playful one.

Not sure it is comfortable in switch, especially on landings.

I have been riding it for 2 years and I relly love it.

I had managed to get it in russia at the end of the season. So I believe you can find one in your country.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts