Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need advice on what snowboard to buy my husband.

He's pretty advanced, all-mountain rider, 5"10, size 9.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
I applaud the effort but kinda like tools is it a good idea for you to pick out the board for him. Not as mucha surprise but maybe planning some special that ends up at his favorite board shop for him to pick it out and you guys buy it on the spot may work out better.

Reasons I mention this are:
  • Does he have a preferred brand
  • does he want camber or reg
  • Graphics matter to him
  • size of board, given his dimensions doesnt' mean he won't prefer a longer/shorter board
  • so many more questions hard to ask them all
Kinda see where I'm leading here. Also providing more details as to where he rides, the kinds of hills: manmade, powder, park, long runs, short Midwest hills, do you guys ride together or as a family with kids. How many times a year he gets out, price point you are looking to spend. Plus these extra details help as you only have one post and that very often tends to get a WWW beating at times

For me I would love my wife to plan some sort of outing that ended up at my favorite shop with me picking out my new board for my birthday present. So again kudos on doing this for your husband and good luck

·
Registered
34 Posts
NITRO T1.5 is sick board , but i would recomend you , say him that you are going to walmart or somwhere together and then take him just to board shop and let him pick hes favorite board , because it would suck if somone spent ton of money and bought me board that i dont like...

·
Registered
692 Posts
I say give him a gift certificate, drive him to a boardshop and let him pick it out, everyone has their own preferences, you see it on here all day every day.
My wife usually knows what board I'm looking at before I buy it or I just buy it myself. The last 4 boards I've bought, were all last years models, you save up to 50% and most of them only have graphic/color changes, the board she's picking up for me next week is reg $599 on sale for $341, surf the web

·
Registered
15 Posts
I agree with slyder. Buying a board is a very personal thing because you connect with it on deeper levels. And I personally appreciate the time an effort I put into on researching snowboards. Plus buying a good board is very satisfying thing knowing how much time you put into it. Especially if hes an advanced rider then he really knows his stuff and knows what board hell want. You should just ask him, " if you could have any board in the whole wide world what would it be?" he'll probably know whats up tho if his bday is coming up

·
The Swiss Miss
7,440 Posts
:welcome:

The guys assumed, you want to give the board as a present. If that's the case, I'd say the same: gift certificate.

But if you just want to collect some ideas for him (cause he's too lazy or doesn't want to hang around in a forum or struggles with the language), we need some more information to be of help.
What's the type of riding he does? Lot of pow? Mainly groomers? Carving? Aggressive rider rather into stiff boards or more of a playful rider? What boards did he have so far and what did he like with them or not? Does he look for something similar to replace his old board or does he look for one that's different? To add to a quiver? The more specific you are, the better the suggestions will be. And the weight would be an important stats.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Or you could get a radically different pow board with a crazy shape. A board he'll own for years and always be stoked-out when he's riding the deepest pow on it. He'll think "I can't believe my Mrs bought me this board. She's the best!" This only works if he gets to ride pow more than once a year.

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
I agree with neni or amplid. if you don't know that much about snowboarding, his riding preference, or what conditions he rides normally -you should just do a gift cert to his local board shop or you got to go with a quiver board (Jones Hovercraft & K2 Ultra Dream).

Or another way would be to go old school and get him Craig Kelly board, but this will probably be more wall art than anything.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts