Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some board help for my son, 15 years old, size 12 and 130 lbs. He's a solid intermediate, comfortable on any groomer the great state of NY can throw at him. We only ride NY, No pow. Just ice.
This past winter he used my 2012 Blacklist 154 and loved it, but it's got a lot of days on it and I'd like to get him on a cambered board. He doesn't jib, only hits small jumps, tears around groomers with his friends mostly. Some switch. I was looking at the Lib Box Knife, but the smallest wide is a 157...Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks,

·
Registered
16 Posts
At 15 and size 12s are we expecting him to fill out soon? You might wanna be searching for at least one size up from his current weight range. At 130lbs we normally recommend low 150s, but if he gains 20-40 pounds in the next 2 years he'll easily be comfortable on a 56-57 for his riding style and terrain.

Look into the Ride Superpig (Volume Shift so look at the Medium), Arbor Element Camber, Rome National, Niche Maelstrom, or a Lib Tech Dynamo

We also see fewer true 12s than you'd think. Don't base it on his street shoe size and if you havent had him professionally fit for boots yet, do that first. The number of "12s" we fit for 10s is impressive.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
I need some board help for my son, 15 years old, size 12 and 130 lbs. He's a solid intermediate, comfortable on any groomer the great state of NY can throw at him. We only ride NY, No pow. Just ice.
This past winter he used my 2012 Blacklist 154 and loved it, but it's got a lot of days on it and I'd like to get him on a cambered board. He doesn't jib, only hits small jumps, tears around groomers with his friends mostly. Some switch. I was looking at the Lib Box Knife, but the smallest wide is a 157...Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks,
Yeah I can pretty much guarantee he's not a size 12, especially being 130lbs.
He might still need a wide board, but at least get him in the right size boots.

TT

·
Registered
141 Posts
Look up the boot Sizing thread, measure his foot and post the pic/measurement. Even at a size 11 being so light at a 154 he’ll need a wide

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Last time I saw a kid on a board that was one size too big he took out a bus of nuns.
I think people stress a bit about board size. Especially on the east coast where you almost never have to worry about floating in powder.

My son is 15, weighs just over 105lb and I just got him a 154 Capita Indoor Survival. He could have gotten away with a 148 funslinger based on weight but he wanted the Capita and it's what they had in stock. So he's like 10-15lb under weight. He doesn't notice it. The differences are less than an inch on either side of his feet.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah big feet...130 lbs and 6'1"
I did use the boot size thread / Wired Sport method last fall, we rented 11's for the past season. He might grow, he might not, but either way...11 or 12, he needs a wide.

Arbor Element Camber, Rome National, Niche Maelstrom, or a Lib Tech Dynamo
Thanks!

·
Registered
8,130 Posts
He's 15, let him do some research on what he wants first.
Yeah big feet...130 lbs and 6'1"
I did use the boot size thread / Wired Sport method last fall, we rented 11's for the past season. He might grow, he might not, but either way...11 or 12, he needs a wide.
Thanks!
ehmm...he needs some poutine and beer

1 - 9 of 9 Posts