Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking for an upgrade board for my wife. But mainly we want to leave her current board with her family in Japan & then have a board to travel with.

She's 5'4", 104lbs. I think her boots are size 6 or 7.

Intermediate rider. No jumping. She's an all-mountain sorta rider, groomers & powder stashes off to the side of the runs with some trees. We'll be riding Japan, Alaska, Tahoe, Whistler, Utah type of spots.

She's been riding a Bataleon feelbetter I think it's called, and ready for something else. I also wouldn't mind taking advantage of the end of season sales.

What caught our eyes so far is the Jones Dream Catcher 145, and the K2 Outline which is even cheaper online. Has anyone had any experiences with these boards? Anything else come to mind to look at?

Recommended rider weight for the K2 Outline 146 is 100-150lbs. She's very much at the light end of that. It's the smallest version of that board that they have. Is that telling me that she should ride something shorter than 146?

Thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That does look like a cool board. Just checked online and it’s sold out in her size. But I see the Gnu Velvet in stock. Any feedback on that one?

·
Registered
8,125 Posts
That does look like a cool board. Just checked online and it’s sold out in her size. But I see the Gnu Velvet in stock. Any feedback on that one?
No idea about the velvet...its seemingly for an intermediate vs the lady's choice would be an advanced to expert level board. However since Mrs is already intermediate and has the potential to ride expert level terrain at your above mentioned places, I'd think the lady's choice would be more appropriate and offer the capacity for progression of her skills. If you wanted to go to the next level in the Gnu line...it would be the Bpro. Both the rider's choice (men's) and lady's choice are solid boards that offer a lot of control all over the mountain and in all but extreme deep powder of say 24"+. Lady's choice might initially be a tad of a challenge to ride...but it will be an opportunity to encourage her to up her game. And it will do switch just fine.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Looks like a great board. How would it be for riding switch? My wife goes switch sometime, especially on cat track trails & stuff.
Personally, I feel like if you ride switch 20% of the time, your board should do switch 20% as well. You can take that with a grain of salt though, because I'm a fan of more directional boards in general. I don't ride park much, but when I do it's usually on a swallow tail- like a cool bean or slush slasher.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Personally, I feel like if you ride switch 20% of the time, your board should do switch 20% as well. You can take that with a grain of salt though, because I'm a fan of more directional boards in general. I don't ride park much, but when I do it's usually on a swallow tail- like a cool bean or slush slasher.
yeah I think she rides switch more out of necessity. like when we have to traverse something steep and she falling-leafs it, or if we have a narrow cattrack with cliff on 1 side and she would rather go switch than have her back face it, lol.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The Dreamcatcher is a really nice board. It will be totally different than the Bataleon and my guess is when she gets used to it, her riding will improve quite a bit.

The Ladies Choice is a nice board too, but I don't think a jump up to the B-Pro would be enjoyable. It's stiffer and mostly camber (without the TBT that Bataleon has), so it's just not as forgiving, and you have to work so you ride the board instead of the other way around. Coming from the Feelbetter, I doubt that would be a transition she enjoys.

The Velvet doesn't have as much camber as the Ladies Choice and is a more mellow ride. It won't feel as stable as the Dream Catcher or the Ladies Choice, but it will be a little more forgiving. The Ladies Choice is definitely not just for advanced or expert riders. The C2x is more aggressive than the Velvet's C2 just depends if she wants to get after it or just cruise around.

I have no experience with the K2, but these other three are all solid choices. I find the Gnu boards to be a bit more damp than the Jones board, but this is all just one opinion.

·
Premium Member
2,933 Posts
My girlfriend has the 148 Dream Catcher and absolutely loves it. She's an expert rider, but goes by "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" which means she was riding a very heavy and stiff Prior board for years. Jumping on the Dream Catcher has made everything so much easier and more fluid for her, and only really given up a little top end speed and stability in rough terrain. Could never understand why I have so many boards, but now she gets it hah.

Kinda opposite scenario to your wife going from the Bataleon Feelbetter, but I think she'd enjoy the jump and it's not going to be too steep of a learning curve given the Jones still has some 3D shaping tip and tail. First few days on the new board my gf kept saying "I can't catch an edge on this board!"

Definitely a good option for a do it all board.

·
Registered
141 Posts
If she learned on TBT, or has been on it for years maybe look into the Distortia 146. Just picked one up for my wife

The Jones haa 3d also

1 - 13 of 13 Posts