Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! So I've been learning how to snowboard for a bit over a season now and am now starting to look around to owning my own board for the 2013 season and would like some help picking out boards. I'm not sure exactly what the difference between beginner and intermediate boards (besides the flex supposedly teaching you how to turn better).

I'm not exactly sure what type of board I want, but I'll try my best to describe! Also note, a lot of board companies don't offer boards for my size =\

About me!
Height 5'1"
Weight: 103 lbs
Shoe size: 6 US

Experience: Started going snowboarding almost every other weekend last season. I wouldn't say I'm necessarily just starting out beginner since I am able to do left and right turns alright. I'm okay with linking turns, but still working on making turns more solid, stable and less snappy. Perfectly comfortable on steeper beginner slopes, haven't made transition to bumpy intermediate slopes yet.

Terrain: Mostly doing snowboarding at resorts, so morning snow is quite soft but gets quite icy and packed on certain days and in the afternoons from the number of other skiers and snowboarders in the area.

Ideal Style: I'm looking for a board that I can grow into. I haven't figured out my style yet, but I don't think I am really interested in learning how to do jumps and tricks in the park any time soon.

What type of board am I looking for:
Price Range: I don't have a set budget, but would prefer a quality board. Though I do hear first boards should be on the lower priced ranges.

Board Profile: I've tried a few types of boards. I feel that maybe I would like something hybrid. Flat boards feel a little lifeless for me, pure rockers don't feel stable. Off all of these I tend to prefer camber, but feel I am catching too many edges so maybe camber with a bit of a twist.

Board Direction: Preferably directional twin or true twin considering I sometimes like to alternate going down hill left foot first or right foot first.

Stance: Centered.

Board Flex: Preferably under 5. My friend has the Roxy Banana board which has a rating of 5 and I felt like it was too bumpy and chatty of a ride down on occasion. Probably will have to find a mix between responsiveness and stability?

Board size and weight: I am not quite sure what to choose since I've been given a range of sizes to try. I prefer lighter boards since the heavier ones tend to tire me quite quickly (though I assume they serve a purpose of being more stable?). I've tried a 140. 142 and 139. I think maybe the 142 was a bit too big and heavy.

Bottom Line: I want a fun but stable board that won't catch edges as I'm learning. The parts I enjoy most is carving left and right as I go downhill and well... The smooth ride down. I don't quite like the harder boards that chatter a lot as they got down uneven terrain.

The boards I'm looking at are:
Burton Dejavu Flying V in 141
Burton Lux 139
Rossignol Tesla CTY Amptek in 139
Rome Lo-FI 140
Ride's OMG in 140

Was searching other brands like GNU, but a lot of lines don't offer boards under 142 size.

Thanks for reading all the way here and let me know which boards you think are best (even if they aren't on this list) =D

·
Registered
231 Posts
The boards I'm looking at are:
Burton Dejavu Flying V in 141
Burton Lux 139
Rossignol Tesla CTY Amptek in 139
Rome Lo-FI 140
Ride's OMG in 140

Was searching other brands like GNU, but a lot of lines don't offer boards under 142 size.

Thanks for reading all the way here and let me know which boards you think are best (even if they aren't on this list) =D
The Deja Vu would be a good shout, know a few girls who have learned and progressed up to intermediate on this, and they have loved it. Can get a bit of chatter with the flying v on the harder days though. If you want a good board for a beginner that you can progress with on the mountain but also have a play in the park with my sister rides a never summer pandora, as with all the never summer boards it is still very damp and stable despite the forgiving flex (they have a 140 and then a 136)

hope this helps

·
The Swiss Miss
7,447 Posts
Have you tried a Flying V? If you don't like rocker cause of the instability, the Flying V might also fall in this category... :dunno: Demoed a Sherlock Flying V some days and didn't like the wobbly feeling too much, as well as I didn't like the ride-on-gymball feeling of rocker boards.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Have you tried a Flying V? If you don't like rocker cause of the instability, the Flying V might also fall in this category... :dunno: Demoed a Sherlock Flying V some days and didn't like the wobbly feeling too much, as well as I didn't like the ride-on-gymball feeling of rocker boards.
yeah certainly takes some getting used to, fun for playing around but I will pull my camber deck out for charging some lines.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Consider burton feelgood Flying V. If you're leaving beginner level and moving on to intermediate it would caver your skill progression for a long time to come.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah. I haven't tried it yet, I've only tried the other Burton boards (I think it was a full camber but I couldn't tell you which board it was).
I assumed Flying V was a combination between rocker and camber but it seems more rocker than camber...

Any good camber boards with a bit of rocker elements?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Ah. I haven't tried it yet, I've only tried the other Burton boards (I think it was a full camber but I couldn't tell you which board it was).
I assumed Flying V was a combination between rocker and camber but it seems more rocker than camber...

I don't think the flying v is that pronounced anymore at all, Burton have really dialled it back since they first introduced it, my girlfriend moved from camber to flying v this year after 25 days of riding, season starts this weekend so will let you know what she thinks...

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Look at some of rossi boards for the camber profile you are looking for. Camber between the feet with rockered tips. Rome might have some as well but im not sure on that one. Signal makes guys decks with that profile but im not sure on womens.

·
Registered
451 Posts
you might look into demoing a bataleon? i think they make the "feel better" in as small as a 138 or 140. all bataleons are full camber boards, but the contact points are raised/angled slightly up outside of the bindings, and it's really hard to catch an edge. you still have the feeling of contact across the length of the board, unlike a rocker, but you can play around a bit more, and not worry about catching your edges so much.

the shape is called "tbt," and apparently it's something that you either absolutely love, or can't stand... but i absolutely love it - and will recommend for people to at least try it out when deciding on board shapes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. I did a bit more digging around and researching. I think I will probably drop Burton's Flying-V boards until I hear something that changes my mind since I hear there's a lot more complaints about it on icier terrains (even compared to other hybrid camber/rocker combo boards).

The verdict?
Neversummer Infinity 142
Roxy Ollie Pop 141
Lib Tech Burnter Box Scratcher Series 143
GNU Velvet Guru 143

Probably in that order. I hear great things about Lib Tech and GNU, but the reason they're further down on the list is mainly because the size (and I hear Velvet Guru is a more beginner-ish board that I can grow out of quite fast). Not sure how the NS boards do in icy conditions though.

·
The Swiss Miss
7,447 Posts
The verdict?
Neversummer Infinity 142
Roxy Ollie Pop 141
Lib Tech Burnter Box Scratcher Series 143
GNU Velvet Guru 143
Uhm... didn't you say you don't want a rocker...? but you list is full of them... At http://www.thegoodride.com you find the most brands/models listet.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Uhm... didn't you say you don't want a rocker...? but you list is full of them... At The Good Ride | A Snowboard Gear Buying GuideThe Good Ride you find the most brands/models listet.
I did say I didn't want rocker boards, so I'm looking at those combination boards with elements from both. Going to see if I can demo a few to see how I like them when the season rolls around, maybe see if I can test out the 2014 stuff too.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Look at the Capita Birds of a Feather. It's the women's version of the Defenders of Awesome. It's cambered between your feet until 5 cm past the inserts, then flat until a slight rocker kick at the contact points to make it a bit more playful. Definitely look into it, at our demos, that was the #1 women's boards that was taken out. Next year's graphics are the best in the entire line, IMO.

Where do you ride? Since you're so worried about it being icy..

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Where do you ride? I don't think Infinity is a good choice for a beginner East Coast rider. Roxy Ollie Pop is a better choice for icy conditions. Flying V is fine, it's a pretty stable hybrid board.

Consider also GNU B-Street, it is also a hybrid twin, nice and stable but in my opinion faster and more agile than Velvet Guru.

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
Consider burton feelgood Flying V. If you're leaving beginner level and moving on to intermediate it would caver your skill progression for a long time to come.
Agreed, you'll definitely want a board you will progress through and not get stuck or bored with.

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
I would steer away from rocker like you stated if you're riding groomers. Rocker boards are good for pow and don't have that surface contact with a groomer as per say, a regular camber. I'd go with the rocker/camber. I have a Forum rocker/camber and its the most versatile board I have. I'll take it on groomers and pow. Holds well for all mountain and IF you progress into park, it has the flex and pop. Although my size is more for park @ a 154, it still holds in pow. But I'm looking for a pow board currently.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi Surilena,

I read your post, which I copied below. We are nearly the same exact size in terms of height, weight, and shoe size. Like you, I ride mainly all-mountain and have felt that full rocker was too loose and unstable.

I currently ride a 134 K2 Kandi which is flat camber with small rocker in tip and tail but it's a kid's board and I feel like it's time to invest in a better board to help me progress. I've never tried a full camber nor a hybrid camber board. I would love to hear your likes and dislikes about any boards you've tried and find out which one you actually ended up buying. Also, what bindings do you use?

Thanks so much,
Pauline
flips712

·
It ain`t easy being steezy
286 Posts
Check out Bataleon boards, full camber with lifted edes at the tips. All the benefits of camber, plus harder to catch edges and faster turning edge to edge.

If you don't like them then you'll want a board with camber between the feet and rocker at the tips. Not sure what all is out there with that profile but from the board feel you describe, that seems to be the profile you want.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks Honeycomb! I was actually just on the Bataleon site checking out their boards before I read your post LOL. I think I'm leaning towards to profile you describe as it seems to fit the bill for what I'm looking for in a board.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts