Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been going round in circles trying to choose a good all round board for trip to Japan and then to use on trips to NZ as well.

I'm pretty solid and weigh in at around 105kg (230lb) but am only 174cm high with size US 9.5 boot size. I have ridden a few seasons and probably had around 20 days riding. Been skating all my life so picked it up pretty quick and was doing black runs within the first week. Would class myself as and early intermediate rider,

Style would be all-mountain (freestyle), and a bit of everything in between. Cant see myself doing massive airs though as not as young as I once was.

Charts say I should be riding around 152-157cm board based on my height, but then because of my weight, it bumps me up to around 161-162cm but then because of my small shoe size, the widths of the 160cm+ boards are too wide so I am stuck with either (a) getting a board around the 158-159 mark which I am too heavy for, or (b) I get a bigger board and it will be too wide.

My gut feel is that the 158-159 boards will be a better length and easier to ride but as I am like 10-15kg than the max. weight ratings, I am not sure if i should go up and just deal with the wider waist and longer board

Hoping you experienced riders may be able to point me in the right direction....please ~!!!

I have narrowed down my board selection to the following options (but also open to suggestions)

1. Capita - Outer Space Living 158cm (Max. weight rating is 90kg - 160cm is only 95kg)
2. Yes - Standard 158cm (Max weight 95kg but waist is 26.3cm and I need around 25.4)
3. Capita - DOA 158cm (Max 90kg or 160cm max weight is 100kg with 25.7 waist) - Love the DOA but may be a bit advanced for me (Same as Capita Mercury)
4. Saloman Sight -158cm (Max 90kg) but afraid may be a bit soft and I will grow out of it too quick!)

DPA would be my first preference but worried it is a bit aggressive and I will keep catching edges so now eaning towards the 158 Capita Outer Space as a compromise. The Yes Standard also looks like an awesome board but just think it will be too wide.

Sorry for the long first-time post but running out of time before we fly over to Japan and not keen on hiring as will end up with different boards in different precincts!

Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Been going round in circles trying to choose a good all round board for trip to Japan and then to use on trips to NZ as well.

I'm pretty solid and weigh in at around 105kg (230lb) but am only 174cm high with size US 9.5 boot size. I have ridden a few seasons and probably had around 20 days riding. Been skating all my life so picked it up pretty quick and was doing black runs within the first week. Would class myself as and early intermediate rider,

Style would be all-mountain (freestyle), and a bit of everything in between. Cant see myself doing massive airs though as not as young as I once was.

Charts say I should be riding around 152-157cm board based on my height, but then because of my weight, it bumps me up to around 161-162cm but then because of my small shoe size, the widths of the 160cm+ boards are too wide so I am stuck with either (a) getting a board around the 158-159 mark which I am too heavy for, or (b) I get a bigger board and it will be too wide.

My gut feel is that the 158-159 boards will be a better length and easier to ride but as I am like 10-15kg than the max. weight ratings, I am not sure if i should go up and just deal with the wider waist and longer board

Hoping you experienced riders may be able to point me in the right direction....please ~!!!

I have narrowed down my board selection to the following options (but also open to suggestions)

1. Capita - Outer Space Living 158cm (Max. weight rating is 90kg - 160cm is only 95kg)
2. Yes - Standard 158cm (Max weight 95kg but waist is 26.3cm and I need around 25.4)
3. Capita - DOA 158cm (Max 90kg or 160cm max weight is 100kg with 25.7 waist) - Love the DOA but may be a bit advanced for me (Same as Capita Mercury)
4. Saloman Sight -158cm (Max 90kg) but afraid may be a bit soft and I will grow out of it too quick!)

DPA would be my first preference but worried it is a bit aggressive and I will keep catching edges so now eaning towards the 158 Capita Outer Space as a compromise. The Yes Standard also looks like an awesome board but just think it will be too wide.

Sorry for the long first-time post but running out of time before we fly over to Japan and not keen on hiring as will end up with different boards in different precincts!

Thanks
DOA ..not DPA!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Weight ranges on boards tell you about flex. Boards will feel softer to you if you're over the weight range, so choosing a stiffer, smaller board might be the way to go.

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
None of those boards are suitable at your weight for Japan, period. Also 9.5 isn't that small to worry about waist width too much, it is a personal preference but I wear a 9 and generally won't ride anything under a 26cm waist. Of that list, your best chance is the Yes Standard as it has the Slam Back inserts to really set your stance right back for the powder in Japan, and then ride on reference in NZ. I really think that is your best option of that list.

But really for what you're doing, you're either going to need 2 boards (powder and freestyle), or go in the direction of a short fat for powder float while keeping all mountain capabilities. Ride Warpig 154 or Niche Pyre 155 would be my top picks for that.

A Bataleon Magic Carpet could work for both pow and freestyle, but I really wouldn't want a Bataleon for Aus/NZ icy conditions.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Weight ranges on boards tell you about flex. Boards will feel softer to you if you're over the weight range, so choosing a stiffer, smaller board might be the way to go.
Thx WigMar. Yep- flex is one of my other main concerns but hard to find boards much stiffer than a 6/7 without getting into more aggressive style boards but I’m only intermediate level so there lies another challenge. As for smaller boards, understand that may give them less flex, but then there is also less surface area, which I kinda need for my weight.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
None of those boards are suitable at your weight for Japan, period. Also 9.5 isn't that small to worry about waist width too much, it is a personal preference but I wear a 9 and generally won't ride anything under a 26cm waist. Of that list, your best chance is the Yes Standard as it has the Slam Back inserts to really set your stance right back for the powder in Japan, and then ride on reference in NZ. I really think that is your best option of that list.

But really for what you're doing, you're either going to need 2 boards (powder and freestyle), or go in the direction of a short fat for powder float while keeping all mountain capabilities. Ride Warpig 154 or Niche Pyre 155 would be my top picks for that.

A Bataleon Magic Carpet could work for both pow and freestyle, but I really wouldn't want a Bataleon for Aus/NZ icy conditions.
Thx Pheddar. Sounds like I’m trying to get a quiver of one when there isn’t one for what I was hoping. To scale it back then, I guess I’ll just need to try pick an all mountain board that suits, or hire one.

Curious about tour suggestion of the Warpip though as other than being a directional board and a little shorter, the weight rating is still only max 90kg and the flex is still only medium and the waist is similar to the the boards mentioned above. Is it to do with rocker 2 camber setup or standing position being set back on board a bit more for powder.

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
Thx Pheddar. Sounds like I’m trying to get a quiver of one when there isn’t one for what I was hoping. To scale it back then, I guess I’ll just need to try pick an all mountain board that suits, or hire one.

Curious about tour suggestion of the Warpip though as other than being a directional board and a little shorter, the weight rating is still only max 90kg and the flex is still only medium and the waist is similar to the the boards mentioned above. Is it to do with rocker 2 camber setup or standing position being set back on board a bit more for powder.
The Warpig is significantly wider than those other boards on your list, not just at the waist but also at the nose, so you've got more surface area in general to help you float, and then the set back stance and rocker to flat definitely help your float as well. There is a stiffer version now with camber underfoot called the Superpig, that could be an even better fit but is also a more aggressive board to ride. If you think you'll progress and step up to that it's probably the better pick.

fwiw I own a 154 Warpig, most of my riding on it was done around 90-95kg, including a full season in NZ. It's a shockingly versatile board I think a lot of people can have fun on, and it feels stiffer than Ride rates it. I wrote a review here on the forum if you search the review sections for it.

·
Premium Member
799 Posts
Weight is what matters most for you. Gnu Mullair is a stiff but narrow board that at your weight would be decent at a bit of everything except deep powder. Same with most Jones boards like the Flagship or Mountain Twin, they tend to be narrower than similar boards of their length.

For powder I'd take a look at some of the K2 enjoyer series boards like the Overboard, Cool Bean, or Party Platter depending on how much freestyle you want to do.

Oh, or the Yes Y would probably be perfect for you for just about everything.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would say your gut is right. The charter on howtochooseasnowboard.info points you to 159 and notes that 1cm up or down hardly makes a difference, so 158 is ok. It would be small for a more advanced rider more on the freeride side, but not for you. Just make sure you don't get a veeeery soft board, if you do stick with the 160 rather than 158. Now, the sooner you progress, the sooner that new board will start to feel unstable, but then you can keep it to play around and get a bigger one to charge harder. The capita or the yes both look good, and the yes is not too wide.

·
Premium Member
5,366 Posts
I'm pretty solid and weigh in at around 105kg (230lb) but am only 174cm high with size US 9.5 boot size.
Hi Slayer,

before you go further I would strongly suggest that you measure your feet.

Please measure your feet using this method:

Kick your heel (barefoot please, no socks) back against a wall. Mark the floor exactly at the tip of your toe (the one that sticks out furthest - which toe this is will vary by rider). Measure from the mark on the floor to the wall. That is your foot length and is the only measurement that you will want to use. Measure in centimeters if possible, but if not, take inches and multiply by 2.54 (example: an 11.25 inch foot x 2.54 = 28.57 centimeters). For width please place the inside (medial side) of your foot against a wall. Please then measure from the wall out to the widest point on the lateral (outside) of your foot.

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
I have same size boot...curious why do you prefer boards that wide? What benefits have you found?
I'm a Ryan Knaptom wannabe 😂

Seriously though I just can't ride a regular width board how I want to ride, and I don't notice any drawbacks as far as edge to edge speed is concerned etc.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi Slayer,

before you go further I would strongly suggest that you measure your feet.

Please measure your feet using this method:

Kick your heel (barefoot please, no socks) back against a wall. Mark the floor exactly at the tip of your toe (the one that sticks out furthest - which toe this is will vary by rider). Measure from the mark on the floor to the wall. That is your foot length and is the only measurement that you will want to use. Measure in centimeters if possible, but if not, take inches and multiply by 2.54 (example: an 11.25 inch foot x 2.54 = 28.57 centimeters). For width please place the inside (medial side) of your foot against a wall. Please then measure from the wall out to the widest point on the lateral (outside) of your foot.
Thanks and have just done this in the main Wired Sport thread - Cheers

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
For what its worth, I ended up buying a 2020 Capita Outerspace Living - 160cm and hopefully it will be OK as a general all-rounder, even though I am aware it's probably not the best board choice.but better than getting stuck with limited rental board options and having to change boards on different mountains.
Didnt go for wide as my boot size is around 9.5US (I think)

Now I just need to drop 5+ Kg's and I will be within the weight range!!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts