Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I am a beginner rider who is also abnormally large (6ft8, 330 lbs, size 16 shoe) and am interested in buying my own gear. I have rented for a little while now but am really struggling with the rental gear as they usually don't have appropriate sized boards for me. Last time I rented the largest board they had was a 160W, on which my feet hung off the edge about 2.5 inches...Hard to really do much with that much overhang. I am pretty committed to the sport now and want to actually buy a board that works for me. I am also working on my weight (ex college football player) so hopefully I will be down to sub-300 before next season. But I want to get something now that would still work. I will be doing mainly groomers and am located in Northeast US. After doing a lot of reserach here is the setup I am thinking:

Boots: Ride Bigfoot size 16 - pretty much the only boot I think that is going to fit me. I hear they run small so I might have to upgrade to a 17 (hopefully not). Already ordered a pair of these in 16, should come within the week

Bindings: Talking to a customer service rep at Ride, they said the Ride EX bindings in size XL will work with my boot size, so I am thinking about going with them. I also am looking at the Technine T9 XL bindings, which have been hard to find (save this Ebay post) but are designed for super large feet. Definitely open to other suggestions from riders on these

Snowboard: Elan El Grande - ultra wide board meant for big riders, I have only found the 167 available for sale but with a 28cm waist that should definitely handle my boot size. My only concern about the board is that a 167 isn't long enough for my weight. Thoughts on this?

Any advice, especially from other big and/or tall riders, would be great! I have found tons of useful info on this forum already and am glad to be a member of the community.

·
Registered
46 Posts
So I am a beginner rider who is also abnormally large (6ft8, 330 lbs, size 16 shoe) and am interested in buying my own gear. I have rented for a little while now but am really struggling with the rental gear as they usually don't have appropriate sized boards for me. Last time I rented the largest board they had was a 160W, on which my feet hung off the edge about 2.5 inches...Hard to really do much with that much overhang. I am pretty committed to the sport now and want to actually buy a board that works for me. I am also working on my weight (ex college football player) so hopefully I will be down to sub-300 before next season. But I want to get something now that would still work. I will be doing mainly groomers and am located in Northeast US. After doing a lot of reserach here is the setup I am thinking:

Boots: Ride Bigfoot size 16 - pretty much the only boot I think that is going to fit me. I hear they run small so I might have to upgrade to a 17 (hopefully not). Already ordered a pair of these in 16, should come within the week

Bindings: Talking to a customer service rep at Ride, they said the Ride EX bindings in size XL will work with my boot size, so I am thinking about going with them. I also am looking at the Technine T9 XL bindings, which have been hard to find (save this Ebay post) but are designed for super large feet. Definitely open to other suggestions from riders on these

Snowboard: Elan El Grande - ultra wide board meant for big riders, I have only found the 167 available for sale but with a 28cm waist that should definitely handle my boot size. My only concern about the board is that a 167 isn't long enough for my weight. Thoughts on this?

Any advice, especially from other big and/or tall riders, would be great! I have found tons of useful info on this forum already and am glad to be a member of the community.
Its possible you maybe returning your boots. Regular shoes and boots are sized much different than snowboard boots. For instance I wear a 12.5 regular boot or shoe however a size 11 snowboard boot is what my foot requires. All that matters is the exact measurement of your foot from back of the heel to the tip of your longest toe. Convert that from inches into centimeters to determine the size boot you need. Kick your heel to a wall and then place a mark on the floor at the end of your longest toe.

If you already know all of this and a size 16 snowboard boot is indeed what you require then disregard. I cant imagine a foot that big though. :eyetwitch2:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
If you already know all of this and a size 16 snowboard boot is indeed what you require then disregard. I cant imagine a foot that big though. :eyetwitch2:
Haha yeah they're pretty large, makes buying any sort of shoe a pain..

Anyways I did know that boot size isn't exactly the same as regular shoe size, but I haven't measured my feet in cm, I will have to do that later when I get home. When I rent boots they give me a size 16 (Burton progression imprint 1, which I can't find anywhere online), and those fit pretty snug. I can't imagine going smaller than 16 based off how those fit, but each boot is different I suppose. I heard the Bigfoot boots tend to run small as well. I guess I will see when they come in the mail. Thanks for the tip, I'll be sure to do the actual measurement, not sure why I didn't think of that

·
Registered
946 Posts
I think Echelon Snowboards did a limited run of extra wide boards for some guys here on the forum. Maybe email Echelon and ask them about it. Good luck finding something that works.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Depending on the stiffness of that elan, it might work for you. Most people here will tell you that weight matters, not height when it comes to board length and for the most part I agree but I wonder how your center of mass(being 6' 8") would affect that. You probably want a pretty big stick.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Depending on the stiffness of that elan, it might work for you. Most people here will tell you that weight matters, not height when it comes to board length and for the most part I agree but I wonder how your center of mass(being 6' 8") would affect that. You probably want a pretty big stick.
The manufacturer doesn't list anything about stiffness on the website but from reviews I have looked at it says it has a medium-high stiffness, like a 6-7 out of 10

·
Registered
102 Posts
What length would you recommend for me? Would a 167 be too short for my weight?
Looks like they make a 169W. 26.8cm waist width seems narrow for a size 15/16 shoe though.

I am thinking there might be a wide powder board out there that is wide enough for your feet instead.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks like they make a 169W. 26.8cm waist width seems narrow for a size 15/16 shoe though.

I am thinking there might be a wide powder board out there that is wide enough for your feet instead.
Yeah finding a super wide board for my shoe has been the hardest factor. That is why I was look at the Elan El Grande, the 167 has a 28cm waist width which I think might? work

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yeah finding a super wide board for my shoe has been the hardest factor. That is why I was look at the Elan El Grande, the 167 has a 28cm waist width which I think might? work
I personally don't know of anything wider. It's too bad the Smokin Pow Wow isn't available in wide. Smokin is supposed to be bullet proof and great warranty. At your size I'd be trying pretty hard to get something with a 3yr warranty.

Edit: AH, it seems there is a Lib Tech Skunk Ape HP Ultrawide 170 with a 28.5cm waist. Not cheap, but that is your board.

http://www.evo.com/snowboards/lib-tech-skunk-ape-hp-c2btx-snowboard-blem.aspx#image=87876/390458/clone.jpg&select=true&utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_source=googlebase&utm_campaign=EB-87876-1005

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Its possible you maybe returning your boots. Regular shoes and boots are sized much different than snowboard boots. For instance I wear a 12.5 regular boot or shoe however a size 11 snowboard boot is what my foot requires. All that matters is the exact measurement of your foot from back of the heel to the tip of your longest toe. Convert that from inches into centimeters to determine the size boot you need. Kick your heel to a wall and then place a mark on the floor at the end of your longest toe.

So I'm glad you posted this, I just measured my feet and they are about 33cm long which according to this chart puts me at a boot size of 15. And also conveniently, the place I ordered my size 16 Ride Bigfoot boot emailed me and said they are actually out of stock of that size. So now I can pick out a size 15 boot, any suggestions?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You should check with Sean at Custom Made Snowboards - Donek Snowboards for a board. He will build you exactly what you need for your boot size, weight, height and riding style after you talk to him and give him all the info he needs.
Initially viewing the site, the boards look like they can get pretty pricey (~$800+) which is more than I think I want to spend on my first board. I am going to shoot him an email though and see what he has to say. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
527 Posts
Initially viewing the site, the boards look like they can get pretty pricey (~$800+) which is more than I think I want to spend on my first board. I am going to shoot him an email though and see what he has to say. Thanks for the info!
Twin, Incline and Phoenix start at $650, depending on what type of board you are looking for (more freestyle or more freeride).

·
Registered
46 Posts
So I'm glad you posted this, I just measured my feet and they are about 33cm long which according to this chart puts me at a boot size of 15. And also conveniently, the place I ordered my size 16 Ride Bigfoot boot emailed me and said they are actually out of stock of that size. So now I can pick out a size 15 boot, any suggestions?

Wish I could help you out......unfortunately I just recently learned the info that I posted to you earlier. The person you need to speak with is WiredSport. He is a member of this forum and the most knowledgeable in this area. Himself or Burton Avenger are the 2 best candidates. If they don't chime in soon shoot either one a PM. Good Luck.

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
For the money, you may want to serious look at Donek or Prior custom boards.

Both will be able to make you something suited to you, instead of you trying to find something that'll work for your size. Priors are about $700 a board, and Doneks are $650+ I think.

Try on as many boots as you can, heel lift SUCKS. The boots should fit almost like hockey skates. Tight, without being painful.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am in similar situation myself. (6ft7, 230 lbs, size 15 shoe)
After few equipment rental mishaps, I did some research and here are results:

Bought Ride Bigfoot's size 16. It has smaller or same footprint than most size 15's I tried.
With bindings I chose Ride's EX 2014. In 2015 model they are using Microdisk and as I understood correctly, you cant turn disk 90decrees to move bindings even more towards your heel side reduce toe drag if needed. I have not tried them tough so it might be false information.

As a result of only online research I ordered EL GRANDE 171 four days ago. I did stand on 163cm board without bindings and it was bit too narrow for size16 boot.

Elan has still several 171cm boards in EU factory. Maybe some helpful re-seller can order it for you.

Choice over Lib Tech Skunk Ape was easy. Elan being wider (28,4mm vs 26,8mm waist width), having more mature graphics and designed from ground up to be all mountain board for big footed riders.

Since every inch (or mm) on the waist width is on stake, I chose 171cm board instead of 167cm. Difference is 4mm but I was only able to order one board.

I will get my board on Wednesday, then I can send you pictures. There was a topic in this helpful forum with pictures of same setup but Size 17 boots which required edge risers. Im trying to avoid risers at first.

If I were you I would try to get my hands on 171cm EL Grande first and second choice would be 167cm which still has same 26.38in max stance (I found it to be second most important measure. Keeping lowest possible center of gravity is probably crucial for tall guys.

all the best

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am in similar situation myself. (6ft7, 230 lbs, size 15 shoe)
After few equipment rental mishaps, I did some research and here are results:

Bought Ride Bigfoot's size 16. It has smaller or same footprint than most size 15's I tried.
With bindings I chose Ride's EX 2014. In 2015 model they are using Microdisk and as I understood correctly, you cant turn disk 90decrees to move bindings even more towards your heel side reduce toe drag if needed. I have not tried them tough so it might be false information.

As a result of only online research I ordered EL GRANDE 171 four days ago. I did stand on 163cm board without bindings and it was bit too narrow for size16 boot.

Elan has still several 171cm boards in EU factory. Maybe some helpful re-seller can order it for you.

Choice over Lib Tech Skunk Ape was easy. Elan being wider (28,4mm vs 26,8mm waist width), having more mature graphics and designed from ground up to be all mountain board for big footed riders.

Since every inch (or mm) on the waist width is on stake, I chose 171cm board instead of 167cm. Difference is 4mm but I was only able to order one board.

I will get my board on Wednesday, then I can send you pictures. There was a topic in this helpful forum with pictures of same setup but Size 17 boots which required edge risers. Im trying to avoid risers at first.

If I were you I would try to get my hands on 171cm EL Grande first and second choice would be 167cm which still has same 26.38in max stance (I found it to be second most important measure. Keeping lowest possible center of gravity is probably crucial for tall guys.

all the best
Thanks for the reply, definitely post some pictures of your setup when you get it all. Just curious, where are you located, in US or EU? I can't find anywhere online that sells the Bigfoots in size 16 nor the 171 El Grande - where did you order them?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts