Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading up on the different board profiles and I'm curious to know if anyone here has experience in this. How close would Mervin's C3BTX be to a Rocker-Camber-Rocker board in terms of feel, ride, etc? Is it pretty similar? and how catchy is a C3 board?

·
Premium Member
5,617 Posts
I've been reading up on the different board profiles and I'm curious to know if anyone here has experience in this. How close would Mervin's C3BTX be to a Rocker-Camber-Rocker board in terms of feel, ride, etc? Is it pretty similar? and how catchy is a C3 board?
Hi,

C3 is very similar to regular camber. It is essentially a cambered deck with a dip section between the bindings (the dip is very subtle and actually registers to the eye as more flat than rocker). How it compares to Rocker Camber Rocker will depend on the specific RCR model. Models that bring the center camber almost out to the contact points will be very similar in terms of profile to C3BTX (and to classic camber). The further inwards the camber section ends and transitions to rocker, the greater the difference. There is a lot of variation in that measurement and it has a huge impact on the board's behavior. RCR can be used on decks that vary from full freeride to pure freestyle.

As a note (for example) the Gnu Beasts that we have in shop (C3) all have the tiniest bit of break upwards (rocker) just before the wide points. This is not uncommon on "fully cambered" boards. This gives just a bit of looseness and keeps the wide points less sticky.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's awesome, thanks for the detailed reply WS.

I'm looking for something similar to Prior's Rocker-Camber-Rocker profile. Sounds like the GNU Beast is somewhat similar?
I'd like to ride it and see if I like it and then maybe pull trigger on a Prior possibly down the line. The reason I'm only talking Mervin is because I bought a board from them and had to return it cause of a defect. I won't get into details cause this forum has a tendency to blow things out of proportion however I will say that Mervin has been nothing but awesome and quick to respond. Now its up to the local distributor to finish off the claim.

·
Premium Member
5,617 Posts
That's awesome, thanks for the detailed reply WS.

I'm looking for something similar to Prior's Rocker-Camber-Rocker profile. Sounds like the GNU Beast is somewhat similar?
I'd like to ride it and see if I like it and then maybe pull trigger on a Prior possibly down the line. The reason I'm only talking Mervin is because I bought a board from them and had to return it cause of a defect. I won't get into details cause this forum has a tendency to blow things out of proportion however I will say that Mervin has been nothing but awesome and quick to respond. Now its up to the local distributor to finish off the claim.
The Prior RCR decks that I have seen appear to have more significant rocker before the contacts point, but not a lot more. Also they very likely vary this from model to model. Additionally, profile is only one factor. Core milling, laminates, outline, etc, also have a big impact on overall ride and feel. That was a long disclaimer :) before I say yeah, if you are looking for a fairly conventional feeling freeride board with a bit of extra looseness...and drive to spare then you are looking at some great designs for your needs.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm looking at the MFR from Prior. No way to try it, just order and hope and pray. If the GNU Beast is similar and does well just cruising also I might give it a shot and demo it or something if I can. Seriously though thanks a lot for the help, learned a lot.

·
Banned
1,966 Posts
Just to add to this, the Mervin C3 profiles seem to be all over the place. Not entirely clear whether this is all due to to manufacturing variances or deliberate for different models, but some boards look like full camber with a flat camber section (kind of like the K2 profile) and others actually have the center rocker touching even when unweighted. Interesting discussion and pix about this over on EL.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just to add to this, the Mervin C3 profiles seem to be all over the place. Not entirely clear whether this is all due to to manufacturing variances or deliberate for different models, but some boards look like full camber with a flat camber section (kind of like the K2 profile) and others actually have the center rocker touching even when unweighted. Interesting discussion and pix about this over on EL.
What is EL? Could you please post link.

·
Premium Member
5,617 Posts
Do you have a thread link? Not finding it by search over there.

·
Premium Member
5,617 Posts
Hard to tell from that photo but I believe the intention there is what is displayed in the video below. Models will vary in how much camber they get. This is also true with C2, EC2 etc. I have written this before but there are way more profile variations from Mervin than is represented by the General categories. Essentially each model has its own variation.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Hard to tell from that photo but I believe the intention there is what is displayed in the video below. Models will vary in how much camber they get. This is also true with C2, EC2 etc. I have written this before but there are way more profile variations from Mervin than is represented by the General categories. Essentially each model has its own variation.
That's the way I've always understood it from Mervin's description on their website and reading reviews such as from Good Ride etc.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I completely forgot about the Billy Goat, been looking at the 162, maybe 159 but with a 10.5 boot would the 25 or 25.3 waist be too narrow?

·
Premium Member
5,617 Posts
I completely forgot about the Billy Goat, been looking at the 162, maybe 159 but with a 10.5 boot would the 25 or 25.3 waist be too narrow?
Hi,

While the waists are 25 and 25.3 the boards are both over 26 at the center inserts - where it counts :). A size 10.5 foot is 28.5 cm. So depending on your stance width and angle you will be in the "perfect" zone of ~ 0-1 cm of barefoot overhang (for both toe and heel).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts