Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
I am sure the binding setting makes a huge difference but I suspect the pain will already happen in the first two-three days.

I suspect you simply don't give enough rest for your muscle to recover, and you seem to like those hard-charging guys with no stop in between.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Rode today for the first time since the trip. Slushy conditions, tiny Wisconsin hill. Still got knee pain so I think it was simply due to overuse. I tried +12/-12 though and my jumps were feeling better and popping felt more in control so I may stick with it.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I don't have any of my boards set up right now so I'm measuring off of the imprint left by the bindings :p

Stance width - approx 21.5-22" - I used to have a narrower stance, but I've lately been increasing it.

You sure it's not going to the wider stance that caused it?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I don't have any of my boards set up right now so I'm measuring off of the imprint left by the bindings :p

Stance width - approx 21.5-22" - I used to have a narrower stance, but I've lately been increasing it.

You sure it's not going to the wider stance that caused it?
Yea, my older board was set up with a similar stance width and never had issues. Also I feel pretty unstable with narrower stance widths. My knee to ground measurement is approx 19-20" I think too.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Thread Resurrection Alert. Thought I'd ask the question here rather than start anew.

Same as OPs question really, ageing knees and a lot of boarding in a 2 month period. I'm fine with binding angles (carving 30/6, powder and soft bumpy pistes 18/-9) but I used my K2 Ultradream today which is quite stiff and was great for a few hours on shallow powder but once it gets chopped up I get bounced a lot (I'm 155lbs on the 161 so it's a bit big). It's also very fast and I could do with something slower. Knees get tired but no particular discomfort.

So I'm thinking about a board for fresh snow days which is going to give me an easier ride and probably low 150s in size; considering K2 eighty seven, Lib Lost Rocket and saw a NS Swift in a shop yesterday. I've never ridden crc as I hate scuffing turns but on the other hand I can't say I put in many nice carves today.
As well as soaking up the bumps I'd like it to be nimble and quick edge to edge rather than be a powder slayer.

So, s-camber or crc? Not too wide? Medium flex? What do you reckon?

Ps. I also have a Rossi Jibsaw 153 which would've been good today but am looking for something directional.

pps. carving board is a Rome Blur 156 and is perfect on clean pistes, my go-to board.

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
Thread Resurrection Alert. Thought I'd ask the question here rather than start anew.

Same as OPs question really, ageing knees and a lot of boarding in a 2 month period. I'm fine with binding angles (carving 30/6, powder and soft bumpy pistes 18/-9) but I used my K2 Ultradream today which is quite stiff and was great for a few hours on shallow powder but once it gets chopped up I get bounced a lot (I'm 155lbs on the 161 so it's a bit big). It's also very fast and I could do with something slower. Knees get tired but no particular discomfort.

So I'm thinking about a board for fresh snow days which is going to give me an easier ride and probably low 150s in size; considering K2 eighty seven, Lib Lost Rocket and saw a NS Swift in a shop yesterday. I've never ridden crc as I hate scuffing turns but on the other hand I can't say I put in many nice carves today.
As well as soaking up the bumps I'd like it to be nimble and quick edge to edge rather than be a powder slayer.

So, s-camber or crc? Not too wide? Medium flex? What do you reckon?

Ps. I also have a Rossi Jibsaw 153 which would've been good today but am looking for something directional.

pps. carving board is a Rome Blur 156 and is perfect on clean pistes, my go-to board.
Never Summer boards are damp as hell and really, really easy on the knees. I had a 25 and when I rode that board in uneven terrain I realized how much I expected every bump to hurt when...they didn't. You know when you think something is about to hit your face and you flinch but nothing happens? It was that feeling but for knees. And you can definitely carve hard on them, it's just a little different with the CRC. A Never Summer board with Now Pilots or Rome DoD's is a perfect bad knee setup.

The Lib Lost Rocket is marketed as CRC but it's pretty much full camber. It's also pretty stiff and not something I'd recommend for an "easy ride" on aging knees.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I've been reading reviews of the NS Maverix, including Neni's from 2 years ago. It's a bit softer than the Swift and looks like it could be just the job.

·
The Swiss Miss
7,229 Posts
I've been reading reviews of the NS Maverix, including Neni's from 2 years ago. It's a bit softer than the Swift and looks like it could be just the job.
It was quite funny to ride the full camber deck last weekend again after I spent the current season so far on the NS (Lady West). Both boards have the same size. But while the NS turns already when "thinking" of turning, with the slightest move of hip or knee, the camber lady was reacting zip (In my mind I heard her laughing at me and saying, common, try a little harder).

Agree with drblast, the absorption of uneven ground is a big plus of all NS decks I tried, especially compared to the rather stiff boards I did ride otherwise, it's very relaxing to cruise or charge over bumpy groomers with them. So I'd say it would be worth a try, knees could benefit. (My legs were VERY tired after the few runs with the custom camber, lol. But then... it was SUCH a joy to carve with it, I had to ride hard till legs were toast.) To have one aggressive carver for the great groomer days, and a nimble floaty CRC for pow, and afternoon groomers, which still carves good enough to have fun, but not with so much shocks from bumps, is my small quiver strategy meanwhile.

Can't say if Swift or Mav would suit you better. Don't know those men's boards. I liked the women's Mav for pow surfing, but ended up preferring the more freeridey LW as surfing isn't my main goal. Can't you demo different models somewhere?

·
Not quite reformed yet
8,262 Posts
I know I'm nowhere near the rider most of you are. Certainly not even in the same gravitational field as neni,.. but am I the only one that finds CRC to be tiring in the chop?

I just spent 8 days riding Boyne Highlands. Obviously it ridiculously less extreme terrain & vert to ride than what you folks are referring to, but I found I MUCH preferred my Jones Camrock or even my full camber Arbor once things got tracked out, chopped or bumpy. 🤷‍♂️

In those conditions, riding my Proto CT tired the shite out of my legs.

What am I missing here?

·
The Swiss Miss
7,229 Posts
I know I'm nowhere near the rider most of you are. Certainly not even in the same gravitational field as neni,.. but am I the only one that finds CRC to be tiring in the chop?

I just spent 8 days riding Boyne Highlands. Obviously it ridiculously less extreme terrain & vert to ride than what you folks are referring to, but I found I MUCH preferred my Jones Camrock or even my full camber Arbor once things got tracked out, chopped or bumpy. 🤷‍♂️

What am I missing here?

Hmmm... is that Proto much shorter? Maybe that's why? Or maybe it's old? Not one of the absorbing models? Can't say. I have a very different experience (had tried women's T2, Mav, Aura and Lady West; all were from '18 or '19).

·
Premium Member
969 Posts

What am I missing here?
That's hilarious, I just spent a day last week on a flat to rocker Rome Mod Rocker and it was ROUGH on my legs and I just posted on here wondering if I just suck on rocker boards.

I feel like flat/rocker/CRC boards have that saucer-sled feeling in chop and feel kinda loose and bouncy when I want locked in and stable. My toes got tired from curling them down in an unconscious and futile attempt to pressure the tips of the board. Maybe I'm just used to camber and don't trust the center of the board to hold an edge. I also found like I was back-seating it a bit probably in an attempt to not have that washy feeling in the tail.

I do think that aggressive CRC boards like Never Summer and Lib's C2x/C3 boards don't have this behavior as much.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I feel it too, but I think it has to do with me being more tired at the end of the day, riding slow, at shallow angle, not pointing my board aggressively towards the fall line. So when the board has more contact with the snow, now on CRC, you have to absorb 3 “bumps“ going over bumpy snow, especially when unloading the camber under feet with slow edge to edge. Does this make any sense?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Different opinions then. Since I asked about the Mavrix I've realised that for next season NS havd discontinued both it and the Instigator and blended them into a new model called the Harpoon - no prizes for guessing which Lib model they are "gunning" for! It's basically the Maverix made a bit shorter and wider.

Well it's 8am and there is 6" of fluffy white stuff outside the van so I'm heading for the first lift. Trying my soft flat to rocker board today..

·
Registered
319 Posts
That's hilarious, I just spent a day last week on a flat to rocker Rome Mod Rocker and it was ROUGH on my legs and I just posted on here wondering if I just suck on rocker boards.

I feel like flat/rocker/CRC boards have that saucer-sled feeling in chop and feel kinda loose and bouncy when I want locked in and stable. My toes got tired from curling them down in an unconscious and futile attempt to pressure the tips of the board. Maybe I'm just used to camber and don't trust the center of the board to hold an edge. I also found like I was back-seating it a bit probably in an attempt to not have that washy feeling in the tail.

I do think that aggressive CRC boards like Never Summer and Lib's C2x/C3 boards don't have this behavior as much.
I compare rocker and chunder to boating.

In choppy conditions a good captain has vision, micro-adjusting the speed and angle of attack so the boat glides up and over, but also cutting through when necessary. They hardly ever pound.

A bad captain just smashes into it. No vision. They often upgrade to bigger boats to compensate for bad driving. They pound the bigger boats too, they just can’t feel it.

An average captain has some vision. They get the boat gliding but then REALLY smash into chop. Bad spot to be in. They pound enough for it to be noticeable and frustrating, ruining their day.

If the seas are rough enough, nobody really looks like a good boat captain, but the good captain makes it home first with fresh legs, while the rest wallow and tire at sea.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I feel it too, but I think it has to do with me being more tired at the end of the day, riding slow, at shallow angle, not pointing my board aggressively towards the fall line. So when the board has more contact with the snow, now on CRC, you have to absorb 3 “bumps“ going over bumpy snow, especially when unloading the camber under feet with slow edge to edge. Does this make any sense?
Like a washboard?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Think it's more that the board has cambered tips. I guess they could make rocker-camber-rocker-camber-rocker boards, but might have to be longer, or less pronounced or something. The orca has rocker in the nose at least, and never summer has that hybrid thing going.

·
The Swiss Miss
7,229 Posts
I compare rocker and chunder to boating.

In choppy conditions a good captain has vision, micro-adjusting the speed and angle of attack so the boat glides up and over, but also cutting through when necessary. They hardly ever pound.

A bad captain just smashes into it. No vision. They often upgrade to bigger boats to compensate for bad driving. They pound the bigger boats too, they just can’t feel it.

An average captain has some vision. They get the boat gliding but then REALLY smash into chop. Bad spot to be in. They pound enough for it to be noticeable and frustrating, ruining their day.

If the seas are rough enough, nobody really looks like a good boat captain, but the good captain makes it home first with fresh legs, while the rest wallow and tire at sea.
A good anology, actually, with a lot of truth.

With fresh legs and conscious mind, I can ride bumps as if they don't exist, pointing the nose of the board always downhill through the bumps, dynamically navigating along smoothly, all the while - with the same board - if tired and unconcentrated, going just perpendicular to slope, I get bounced around over those bumps and thrown off-balance; with the very same board.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts