Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Moving to the dark side...
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it is never nice, but i had a Never Summer EVO 157 with Flow Five bindings stolen from the slope today... I only had 5 days on the board from new...!

The plus side, is, this is Norway, and they only sold about 5 of these in this size...! So it is extremely rare, and with flow bindings even rarer, i may have a chance of finding it...!!!

God help the person if i do find them that is all i can say...!!! Haha

I know that you are very unlikely to find the board at the place it was stolen, and it was the 1st time i had ever ridden there, so it may well turn up where i regularly ride or even on the web for sale... There are some dumb people out there that deserve to get caught and the beating they most definitely have coming...!!!

·
Not quite reformed yet
8,165 Posts
That really sucks. I hope you catch the douche!

People,… this is exactly why I always have a cable & bike lock that I attach to the board racks before even getting on the lift for first my first ride! It's long enough that I can easily lock up 3-4 boards. (…I almost always take two with me, even to the local!)

Locked-IMG_0200.jpg

I'm guessing that some of these really big resorts out west, or anywhere for that matter. They must have multiple places strewn about the mountain where one might stop for a beer or food,.. toilet break etc? Places where one might find it necessary to leave their board unattended?

I'll have to remember that for whenever I finally get to ride any place like that. I'll probably want to bring something lighter than this rig I have now. It's a little bulky & would be a drag having to cart it everywhere in a pocket or something.

But folks,.. take it from someone who's been robbed of their possesions several times,…! A little inconvenience is way better than a lot of angry regret!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Most resorts out here have a rack for Ski Key locks. They're the size of a lighter and go pretty unnoticed in a pocket until you need them. Very solid method.

The bike lock does work well though. You could easily throw it in your pack or just plan your stops at a central lodge. Maybe other resorts are less organized, but riding at Whistler Blackcomb (the largest resort in North America, if it's worth anything) I never have a problem.

It never ceases to amaze me how many people make an endless stream of excuses about locks. No system is perfect, but makes a hell of a difference and will likely be the difference between a 2 minute inconvenience and a very expensive and angry heartbreak like the ones you're talking about.

·
Registered
602 Posts
That really sucks. I hope you catch the douche!

People,… this is exactly why I always have a cable & bike lock that I attach to the board racks before even getting on the lift for first my first ride! It's long enough that I can easily lock up 3-4 boards. (…I almost always take two with me, even to the local!)

View attachment 59009

I'm guessing that some of these really big resorts out west, or anywhere for that matter. They must have multiple places strewn about the mountain where one might stop for a beer or food,.. toilet break etc? Places where one might find it necessary to leave their board unattended?

I'll have to remember that for whenever I finally get to ride any place like that. I'll probably want to bring something lighter than this rig I have now. It's a little bulky & would be a drag having to cart it everywhere in a pocket or something.

But folks,.. take it from someone who's been robbed of their possesions several times,…! A little inconvenience is way better than a lot of angry regret!
Not that I steal boards but I have a leathermen that I carry with me whenever I snowboard that has wire cutters that would cut through your lock like butter. I think it's pointless locking your stuff up. I've ridden in plenty of places that have thousands of people coming through and never have I had a board stolen. That being said I rarely stop to allow my board to be stolen.

·
Not quite reformed yet
8,165 Posts
Not that I steal boards but I have a leathermen that I carry with me whenever I snowboard that has wire cutters that would cut through your lock like butter…..
Not looking to be a dick,.. Buuut! ;) I seriously doubt a simple leathermen could cut through that cable I use very easily at all!!! It's like 5/8" thick braided cable with another 1/8" of plastic coating it. Maybe with a small set of dedicated "cable" cutters,.. but not with a small one handed wire cutter. I'd have to see that before I'd ever believe it. :eyetwitch:

Either way tho,.. it's possible that it might be done with a little time & work,.. and a small set of leveraged cable cutters could likely get through it without too much difficulty,..? However,

...It would take time and might get them noticed. It's as much a deterrent to get a would be thief to just pass on by and look for easier prey! Like any of the hundreds of boards NOT locked up with anything. :shrug: :huh:

·
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a ski lock for the rack type of stand, but no racks at this particular resort, and to be fair, it is a very small local resort...! Apparently it was the 1st theft they have had this season...!

I am still gutted, and will definitely be on the lookout, it is such a rare board here it will stand out...!!!

·
Not quite reformed yet
8,165 Posts
….I am still gutted, and will definitely be on the lookout, it is such a rare board here it will stand out...!!!
I'm sure,..!! :( I would feel exactly the same! I presume you've got the serial number written down?

….cuz after you beat the offender to a bloody pulp, you'll need some proof it was your board he was riding! ;)

·
Registered
602 Posts
Not looking to be a dick,.. Buuut! ;) I seriously doubt a simple leathermen could cut through that cable I use very easily at all!!! It's like 5/8" thick braided cable with another 1/8" of plastic coating it. Maybe with a small set of dedicated "cable" cutters,.. but not with a small one handed wire cutter. I'd have to see that before I'd ever believe it. :eyetwitch:

Either way tho,.. it's possible that it might be done with a little time & work,.. and a small set of leveraged cable cutters could likely get through it without too much difficulty,..? However,

...It would take time and might get them noticed. It's as much a deterrent to get a would be thief to just pass on by and look for easier prey! Like any of the hundreds of boards NOT locked up with anything. :shrug: :huh:
I mean it really depends on the hand strength of the user but I know a guy who's cut through some pretty serious shit with his wire cutters on the same model leatherman as mine. I defiantly do agree that it probably works well as a deterrent.

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
That really sucks Kevin. I hope you find it.

I always lock my boards -- sure it isn't cool, but I'd rather come back out from lunch to find my board still on the rack. If someone really wants your gear they will find a way to get it (wire cutters, etc.), but a simple cable lock is enough of a deterrent that the person will likely grab from the dozens of other boards that aren't locked up. Same thing with home security systems -- they are meant to deter the opportunistic thief, while a professional thief will likely get what they came for in the end...

·
Registered
602 Posts
That really sucks Kevin. I hope you find it.

I always lock my boards -- sure it isn't cool, but I'd rather come back out from lunch to find my board still on the rack. If someone really wants your gear they will find a way to get it (wire cutters, etc.), but a simple cable lock is enough of a deterrent that the person will likely grab from the dozens of other boards that aren't locked up. Same thing with home security systems -- they are meant to deter the opportunistic thief, while a professional thief will likely get what they came for in the end...
:eyetwitch2:
Well fuck..... I really hope there's no professional thief trying to steal shit at ski resorts.

·
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Chomps - Yes i have the serial number, but it has a particular mark on it as well, so very easily recognisable from the outset...!

And being that only 5 of that size where imported into Norway it will stand out... ;)

I used to have home insurance when i was in the UK that covered outside of the house, but it would need to of been locked anyway, and i just never bothered taking contents cover when i moved... There is so little crime here, it is actually cheaper to take the chance... I mean i have a $1500 bike, + the g/f's bike and the kids bike right outside our front door, with no locks, and that has been the case for 4 years...!!!

I may consider it now though, but still not sure it is worth it in the grand scheme of things... Just will take more care in future, it is the 1st time in 5 years that i have left a board unlocked and it happened... Sods law...!!!

·
Not quite reformed yet
8,165 Posts
...There is so little crime here, it is actually cheaper to take the chance... I mean i have a $1500 bike, + the g/f's bike and the kids bike right outside our front door, with no locks, and that has been the case for 4 years...!!!
:eyetwitch:

Shoot,..! Over the years I've had 3-4 cars broken into and stereos and other contents stolen, including all my music & my checkbook once. Had my apartment robbed once. …I consider myself lucky that time. Only lost couple hundred in cash, they left or overlooked a couple grand in camera equipment. I've had a few things get stolen while at the beach, etc, etc,…! :facepalm1: :gaah:

Now,..? I lock EVERYTHING up! :dunno:

·
Registered
602 Posts
:eyetwitch:

Shoot,..! Over the years I've had 3-4 cars broken into and stereos and other contents stolen, including all my music & my checkbook once. Had my apartment robbed once. …I consider myself lucky that time. Only lost couple hundred in cash, they left or overlooked a couple grand in camera equipment. I've had a few things get stolen while at the beach, etc, etc,…! :facepalm1: :gaah:

Now,..? I lock EVERYTHING up! :dunno:
Sounds like you need to stop buying fancy stuff :happy:

·
Not quite reformed yet
8,165 Posts
:eyetwitch2:
Well fuck..... I really hope there's no professional thief trying to steal shit at ski resorts.
For the risk involved compared to the realistic potential monetary value of few stolen, second hand boards? I honestly wouldn't think there would be too many professionals involved with that type of theft.

Junkies n other low lifes looking for quick cash or equipment would be my guess for the vast majority of board thefts. In which case? Opportunity and a quick easy getaway is probably what they look for.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Best is a bicycle word locks - where you spin the dials and spell out a 4 letter word. The thing coils up into a nice little loop and fits easily in side pocket of jacket. I wouldn't think of going to the slope if I didn't have a lock.

Sorry to hear about this.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I'd rather come back out from lunch to find my board still on the rack.
+1

Having had one board stolen, I found it wasn't so much the loss that bothered me, it was the inconvenience: the useless lift ticket flapping on my jacket, the pain in the ass of having to get another board quickly (I didn't have multiple boards and bindings at the time), the loss of a good afternoon's riding, etc. My insurance covered it, but what a pain in the ass the whole experience was.

I don't think there are that many "professional" board thieves, the pros are more likely to be breaking into your car than grabbing your second hand board.

If locks were $100+, then I'd probably continue to take the chance, but they're only $20 and I'd would gladly have paid $20 that day.

·
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Again for me the board isn't the issue, its the fact that some cheeky little c*&t took it...!

It was a brand new but 2013 Never Summer Evo, that i paid 1300r or $170 and the bindings where 2years old Flow Fives, and again, my g/f bought them as part of an xmas present, for about $160, so money is not the issue...

The dude will be paying me full retail for both though...!!! And full retail here is about $1050 for them both...!!! So he really wants to take it back to the resort quickly or hope i never catch him...!!!

1 - 20 of 71 Posts