Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys and girls,

I'm fairly new to snowboarding and was after some advice. I'm looking to get a high end board to suit my needs and dont live close enough to snow to try out boards. I live in Australia and only get to snow once per year if I'm lucky. I'm a fairly big guy at 6ft and 100kgs with size 10.5 boots. I'm not out there to do massive jumps or rails or go really fast down hill. I generally like to take my time and get across the whole mountain and enjoy each run. I aim for the occasional jump and do like to go off piste and enjoy turns in and out of trees but most of the time it's on groomed runs and never a lot of fresh powder as Australian snow is not the best. I'm still a beginner to intermediate. I link turns fairly easy but much more confident heading from toe side to heel side. Going from heel side to toe side is my weak point and I would love a board that would help with quicker turns. Some bindings to match would also be great.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Matt

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After a good board that is going to last for 5 - 10 years. I would rather make 1 good purchase and be happy with a decent board than having to constantly be upgrading. My first and current board was a cheap M3 package which has saved me on having to rent gear but not that much fun to ride. I am biting the bullet and want something good to really enjoy my time on the snow.

As for buying locally, Australia does not have that much and imports everything and then doubles the price... A Libtech board selling in USA would be maybe $300-400 retail and over here they would charge $800 retail... Then add boots and bindings at double the price it gets a bit ridiculous! I have a friend in Hawaii who is coming back here at end of year so that is why I am looking now.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
9,301 Posts
You prices aren't quite that inflated unless the Carbon Credit is $800. Most Libs are well above $500 retail.

Anyway, look at the K2 Turbo Dream, Flow Drifter, Bataleon Goliath, Nitro Team Gullwing, Yes PYL, Jones Flagship, or a Signal OG Flat.

·
Registered
545 Posts
After a good board that is going to last for 5 - 10 years. I would rather make 1 good purchase and be happy with a decent board than having to constantly be upgrading. My first and current board was a cheap M3 package which has saved me on having to rent gear but not that much fun to ride. I am biting the bullet and want something good to really enjoy my time on the snow.

As for buying locally, Australia does not have that much and imports everything and then doubles the price... A Libtech board selling in USA would be maybe $300-400 retail and over here they would charge $800 retail... Then add boots and bindings at double the price it gets a bit ridiculous! I have a friend in Hawaii who is coming back here at end of year so that is why I am looking now.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
trust me, prices are definately not that inflated in australia..

if u buy an advanced, aggressive board without the real skill or confidence, u will find it hard to maneuver and control. ur just gonna get thrown around and it will be take u for a ride rather than you riding the board. it doesnt sound like ur really going to get the use out of a high end board and will essentially be a waste of money unless ur riding enough through out the season.

·
Registered
600 Posts
The minimum wage in Australia for an adult from what I read is $16/hr, thats a hell of a lot more than in the US or Canada so those AUS prices seem fair.

I did the same thing and bought a good quality board as my first board. In the long run it'll be cheaper cause upgrading and buying a new board after a season or 2 isn't all that economical. If you're strong and athletic an intermediate/advanced board isn't going to be that difficult to ride. Buy a board you'll grow into, not grow out of. It'll also force you to use better technique.

·
Registered
545 Posts
So when I say high end board I mean a high quality board that will last a long time. And as for Australia being over inflated... well here is one basic example:
OZ: $799 + delivery LIB TECH 2013 Travis Rice Pro C2BTX | Buy Snowboards Online | Shop @ Torpedo7
USA: $384.95 (US) free delivery Lib Tech Travis Rice Pro C2BTX Snowboard - Snowboard Shop > Snowboards > Men's Snowboards
the shop i was working at when i was living in sydney sold 2013 t.rice pros for $579 retail and that was this time last year. hell, in september we had them 30% off as well so i cant understand why they r selling the same board for $800 now when its considered a year old

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
The minimum wage in Australia for an adult from what I read is $16/hr, thats a hell of a lot more than in the US or Canada so those AUS prices seem fair.

I did the same thing and bought a good quality board as my first board. In the long run it'll be cheaper cause upgrading and buying a new board after a season or 2 isn't all that economical. If you're strong and athletic an intermediate/advanced board isn't going to be that difficult to ride. Buy a board you'll grow into, not grow out of. It'll also force you to use better technique.
This is good advice, but think three years not 5-10, and your riding stlye may change and force you to do something sooner.

·
Registered
778 Posts
So when I say high end board I mean a high quality board that will last a long time. And as for Australia being over inflated... well here is one basic example:
OZ: $799 + delivery LIB TECH 2013 Travis Rice Pro C2BTX | Buy Snowboards Online | Shop @ Torpedo7
USA: $384.95 (US) free delivery Lib Tech Travis Rice Pro C2BTX Snowboard - Snowboard Shop > Snowboards > Men's Snowboards
Buy Mens Snowboards-Buy Snowboards-Buy Snowboard Equipment And Outerwear Online From Australias Biggest Snowboard Shop-Ballistyx Product Catalogue- - Ballistyx

You need to do more research mate, plus if you go into places you may walk out with a really good deck, bindings, boots for less than 1k, which is what youre looking at once you consider postage which for all that will cost you $160ish minimum.

Ive done it both ways and id rather spend $100 bucks more and be covered by a warranty.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts