Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride with Burton Ion Boa boots which I believe are on the stiffer end of the soft boot spectrum but lately I've noticed that how tight I crank the Boa dials has a big impact on my riding....or am I fooling myself and going crazy?

Last weekend I was struggling on a black diamond mogul and tree run where I normally do just fine. Half way down the run I loosened the top Boa dial a lot (one that controls forward lean) and immediately it felt easier to ride in the steep and deep moguls. The next run was a blue bomber / carver run at fairly high speed and I didn't feel as controlled as normal, then I remembered my boots. I cranked both dials nice and tight and it felt far more stable, predictable and powerful.

Is this all head games or have I discovered what others have known for decades? Is it normal to adjust the tightness of your boot laces or dials based on the type of terrain?

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
You enjoyed being able to flex your ankles on the steeper run. It's called dorsiflexion and it is a useful tool for carving when you are leaning your body into the turn a lot such as on steep slopes or deep carves.

·
Registered
901 Posts
It’s real. On moguls and trees you need a lot more ankle flexion reacting and turning quickly. High speed carving it feels more stable to have them tightened up to battle the chatter of uneven terrain.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
It's kinda like counter-steering on two wheels. At low speeds you need to move the bike around a lot, but at higher speeds you move around the bike.

At low speeds on a snowboard, you need to use your leg strength to really move things around fast, but when you're at speed and carving, you have to put your entire body into it. For the latter, it really helps to be firmly rooted ya know?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts