• Ride

Votes: 5 6.8%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have ridden in Flow, Vans, 32, Burton and Salomon boots over the course of the past 15 or so years.

I've had issues with most of the boots I've worn, especially with my most recent Salomon boots whose internal lacing guides gave me instant pressure points as soon as I tightened up my bindings.

The 32s I had were poorly built, the Burtons absorbed water like a sponge and the Flow boots, although comfortable, crumbled pretty quickly.

I'm still waiting to find the 'perfect' boot (if there is such a thing) but the closest I got was in a pair of Vans.

Now, please bear in mind I know tech has moved on, and that everyone has difference experiences, but that's why I'm interested in people's preference.

I'm looking to buy new boots, and I know the best boots are the ones that fit, but where I'm located, its quite a distance to get to a shop to try some on. Therefore, if I have a list of brands that I should try out, then I can aim for a shop that carries them.

FYI, I'm considering Nike, Nitro, Ride, Northwave and DC.

So, if you could recommend one brand to another person, what would it be? Feel free to expand on why you recommend this brand, and others that you wouldn't recommend for whatever reason.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I can only post 10 items in a poll, if anyone would like to recommend another manufacturer (such as Vans, Rome etc) please go ahead and post

·
Registered
689 Posts
I've tried a bunch and Northwaves seem to fit my hoof the best. I'm using Decade SLs and I love them. Comfy as hell, no pressure points, durable, great lacing setup and awesome support.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What I find interesting about Northwave is that they have been around for what seems like forever, but they don't seem particularly revered... more Euro-centric perhaps?

Anyway, yeah I was looking at the Decade SLs as an option, so long as they aren't crazy stiff.

·
Veteran Member
11,555 Posts
Just try on what your shop has to offer and get the best fitting ones that have the specs you want. I will warn that DC runs hot and cold year to year. A lot of times they are fine other years some models just blow about after minimal use. They are good about warranty stuff but it means you are without your boots for a few weeks. Fyi.

So try 'em all. If the retailer wants your money they'll be happy to help ya.

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
I've found Vans have amazing quality. They had been my go to for years. I actually still have a pair of Andreas Wiig's and BFB's that are over 3 season's old that still look next to new.

My Deeluxe are up there as well. Solid build quality. I don't see these breaking down any time soon.

Recent dissapointments have been my Celsius and DC's. Both didn't make it a full season. I still have my Celsius as a strict backyard/jib boot because they've gotten so mushy.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I've found Vans have amazing quality. They had been my go to for years. I actually still have a pair of Andreas Wiig's and BFB's that are over 3 season's old that still look next to new.

My Deeluxe are up there as well. Solid build quality. I don't see these breaking down any time soon.

Recent dissapointments have been my Celsius and DC's. Both didn't make it a full season. I still have my Celsius as a strict backyard/jib boot because they've gotten so mushy.
Shame about the Celcius, I was thinking of picking up the Cirrus Trads.

·
Scorching the Slopes
2,139 Posts
I found Salomon boots to be perfect for me. Great build quality and very comfortable, although they are a better fit for narrower feet, which I have.

However, I got fed up with their speed lacing system. Could never get the boots as tight as I like, and I found the laces would slip after some use.

Switched to 2012 DC Status last year.Very happy with the double boa system, and the boots have held up well so far (about 30 days riding). When these wear out, I'll probably get the same ones (now called Travis Rices) which look to be much improved over the ones I have currently.

I would go consider going back to Salomons if they used double boa though.

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
100 or so days on my current Burton Driver X. Still look and feel excellent. No issues with them at all... Can't speak for other brands as the last non-Burton boots I bought were in the late 90's.

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
Shame about the Celcius, I was thinking of picking up the Cirrus Trads.
They're pretty decent out of the box, but they break down fairly quickly. They hit their sweet spot around 15-30 days but as time wears on they turn to mush. I was really stoked on them for awhile too but long term they just didn't hold up.

I was told they are fabricated in the same factory as Nike boots, which have a similar reputation. I'm surprised Nike is getting so many votes in this poll because I've never really heard any good things about them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's quite interesting hearing peoples feedback... Obviously everyone's gonna have different experiences, I wish I could have expanded the poll to cover all manufacturers but there is a limit of 10 in a poll. There's no doubt that if a boot feels good then you should probably go with it, but if a particular boot / brand is prone to turning to mush, then that's something worth knowing about. It feels like this kind of data is hard to come by. General satisfaction and recommendation is what I was aiming for with the poll.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
I have K2 Maysis. I have a narrow heel and had to put in J bars.
First day I overtightened the boa inner liner and had numbness for about a week, won't do that again.

Previous boots were Airwalk Freeride, and they lasted forever. I was bummed when they finally started delaminating.

·
Registered
833 Posts
It's quite interesting hearing peoples feedback... Obviously everyone's gonna have different experiences, I wish I could have expanded the poll to cover all manufacturers but there is a limit of 10 in a poll. There's no doubt that if a boot feels good then you should probably go with it, but if a particular boot / brand is prone to turning to mush, then that's something worth knowing about. It feels like this kind of data is hard to come by. General satisfaction and recommendation is what I was aiming for with the poll.
Yeah I agree. Too many threads on boots are ended with "go with what fits best". Yeah, get that but would like more info on what brands have best quality, new features etc.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Money or cost is the other big factor in all of this. You kind of get what you pay for with boots. If you can afford $300+ for boots then you can get access to a Burton Ion or Nike Kaiju and that's going to influence your frame of reference.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Money or cost is the other big factor in all of this. You kind of get what you pay for with boots. If you can afford $300+ for boots then you can get access to a Burton Ion or Nike Kaiju and that's going to influence your frame of reference.
I think binding compatibility is a big factor too. Often sticking with the same company for binding and boots can save a lot of ball ache trying to get the right fit boot to binding. I like Burton bindings but sizing can be a pain in the ass so I find sticking to their boots too makes it easier. The fact their boots fit and work well for me, is of course the primary criteria in my decision but equally important is their seamless fit with burton's bindings.

This year I'm running a pair of Ride Capos on a second board and will likely look to checking out Ride's boots first before exploring other options...

·
Scorching the Slopes
2,139 Posts
I think binding compatibility is a big factor too. Often sticking with the same company for binding and boots can save a lot of ball ache trying to get the right fit boot to binding. I like Burton bindings but sizing can be a pain in the ass so I find sticking to their boots too makes it easier. The fact their boots fit and work well for me, is of course the primary criteria in my decision but equally important is their seamless fit with burton's bindings.

This year I'm running a pair of Ride Capos on a second board and will likely look to checking out Ride's boots first before exploring other options...
The folks at Union aren't gonna like your opinion!:giggle:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts