Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wanting to hear/read people's lace preferences for their boots. Tell me your experiences with different laces, good, bad and the in between.

Me:
I like traditional laces. I've own boa and double boa and my girl has had the burton mints pull string and 32 boa and my buddy has some 32 pull string.
My experience with these, boa is an awesome design, it's super fast and convenient but super stiff. It didn't have a snug natural flex that I like, even if I rode them loose they were loose till I reached the tension area and did not give. My girls boa had the same problem. But her pull string boots had a comfortable flex but was difficult to get correct tightness she wanted and seem to loosen as the day went by. My buddy loves his pull string 32 boots but I see him adjusting them thru out the day. He won't admit it. Lol.
I love traditional laces because of many reasons.
1. Durable and easy to fix on a trip and cheap.
2. The natural flex the give without having to ride them loose.
3. The adjustability is super easy. You can tighten the bottom tighter then tie a single knot before you go up the ankle and allow it to be looser.
4. Can change the color which gives your boot a new look.
5. I just think they feel better for an all day ride and I ride hard as hell.

That's just my take on it. Now prove me wrong. ;-)

·
Banned!
7,679 Posts
I had boas, cable broke, after they sent replacement parts, tried to fix, entire mechanism exploded into a bunch of tiny parts....back to laces...classic example of fixing something not broken.

BA swears he can only fit boas so I'm not one to argue with the resident bootfitter, but personal experience here, love my laces.

Will never go back to boa. No appreciable advantage.

Laces are hard?

·
Registered
249 Posts
I prefer dual boa for doing anything that isn't park riding. Laces for park riding because I have had bad experiences with breaking the boa knobs from falling on boxes/rails.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I have Ride RFLs with the speed lace and I love them. I have no issues riding all day and having them stay tight. I know some people say they slip and that may be the case, but I have had good luck. I like the idea of dual boa, but have not found a pair that I like yet.

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
all about speed laces. I like them more than boas and i don't dig traditional laces. i own burton driver x's, i have done some vans and 32s also, but burton seems to fit my foot the best. my problem is that i always want to tighten a little more once i'm on the mountain, so instead of having to retie i use speed laces.

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
i owned a pair of Boa boots and didnt like them. they were either really tight or really loose. I now have nike vapen boots with laces. They are the best fit boot i have ever worn for all the reasons you listed above

·
Registered
63 Posts
Traditional laces for me. I like lacing my boots very specifically and I don't think any of the other lacing systems out there can accomplish it. When I first started snowboarding my brother was all like yeaaa man get the BOA it's so easy just click it in and turn it until it's tight. Unfortunately I didn't like how everything was tightened at the same time so while trying to get the upper half really tight it also meant that the lower half would also be squeezed.

I basically leave the foot area nice and loose then tie a special knot that locks off the lower area from the upper area. Then I begin lacing my boots and gradually tightening it more and more the higher I go. So basically from the top of my boots all the way down to the toes, it goes like Death Grip-super tight-really tight-tight-lightly tight-loose. Feels really good to me.

·
Registered
126 Posts
ride insanos w/ focus boa for me. I keep the lowers loose and the uppers tight. feels good to me. I like how quickly they snug up and how easily I can adjust them. feels like the same fit every time.

each boa boot I've owned had a problem with the coiler getting stuck at least once. I keep an allen wrench with my gear for such occasion to unscrew the knob.

·
Registered
10,669 Posts
I've always been a big fan of the Salomon quick lace system. Laces quick, allows you to lock the boot down around the ankles while keeping it loose on the toes, and doesn't have to be re-tightened like boas tend to require.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I never realized people tighten the top tighter then the bottom. I've always enjoyed heel hold but ankle flex (within reason). But in powder I tighten the ankle DOWN!

·
Registered
10,669 Posts
I just cinch down around the ankle. Fairly loose around the toes and fairly loose on the calf. Basically as loose as I can get with no heel lift.

·
The Swiss Miss
7,436 Posts
Boa for me, since they allow to adjust tightness on the fly, of which I make use of constantly within one day. I like to ride with tight boots, but I'm prone to get cold feet due to lack of circulation. With the former lacing boots I never found the right tightness, had to re-bind them several times a day, always a compromise.
Had no cold feet with the double boa (inner/outer) last season. Curious, how the new upper/lower double boa boots will work, since the inner boot can't be re-adjusted on the fly anymore with them. Pretty sure I'll miss this feature, but there are only two models of women's double boa boots (the one with inner/outer, and the one with upper/lower) and the later fits my foot better than the former. Hope, tripple boa finds it's way to women's boots someday.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
My buddy loves his pull string 32 boots but I see him adjusting them thru out the day. He won't admit it. -)
Why not, adjustability is one of the big benefits of speed laces. Also you can pop them loose at lunch quickly.

For kids they're essential, gets you going much faster.

As for the two zone trick with laces, two zone speed laces do this much better, if your bottom half needs adjusting with regular laces it's a hassle.

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
all about speed laces. I like them more than boas and i don't dig traditional laces. i own burton driver x's, i have done some vans and 32s also, but burton seems to fit my foot the best. my problem is that i always want to tighten a little more once i'm on the mountain, so instead of having to retie i use speed laces.
Same here, had a few pairs of recent Burtons with speed laces, and love them. Quick, easy, no moving parts (unlike boa). I'll never go back to lacing up my boots again...

The SO has Nitro boots with the dual speed laces and likes them, although the tongue system isn't nearly as good as burtons.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I got a pair of the dual zone burtons... they do a well enough job and all but they dont compare to the tweaked out fit you can get with laces and I dont find myself using the speed lace as much as I thought I would when I bought them, more of a luxury IMO, Im going back to laces once these are through...

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
A good speed lace system all day long. The ones on my Deeluxe are ridiculously good. I'll never go back to traditional laces after running these.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I dig the speed lace over traditional. So easy to get in and out of and hold all day long. Never used BOA though...

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
I just got a set of 2014 Burton Ions and rode them a few weeks ago, they were my first use of the speed lace system and I loved it. Yea I may have to adjust once in a while, maybe depending on how my riding is changing throughout the day, but its that much quicker and easier. With traditional laces ive had them pop off the hooks or if I hadnt double knotted it them come undone in the midst of riding, if you double knot your stuck trying to undo the knot forever after riding.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts