Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Last year was my first year owning my own equipment...etc. By the end of the year I realized my boots had to much heel lift and I was cutting off the circulation trying to fix it. The boots were Burton Rulers and they were a size 11.5. I was literally miserable after one run in my boots. Snowboarding an entire day was literally impossible, and I had to take breaks / loosen my boots completely after/during each run. My right foot was definitely the worst. Had it not been for my extreme discomfort in right foot, I would have probably stuck it out with these boots because the left boot fit decently enough though I experienced some heel lift and discomfort. (Maybe I did not notice the pain in my left foot because my right foot hurt so bad 馃槀)

This year I went to Darkside and tried on multiple pairs of boots of all different brands. The Burton Ions fit me the best, but I decided to get the Burton Photons in a size 11 because of the 540 dollar price tag. (especially since I already own boots from last year!!!) The Photons I purchased fit snug and my feet are at the end, but I also considered getting the Photons in 10.5 wide. When I tried the 10.5 my feet were smashed at the end of the boot, and what I thought to be slightly curling. They said if the toes are curling at all do not get them. We also all logically agreed upon the thought that sizing down from an 11.5 to a 10.5 wide was to extreme especially since there was minimal heel lift in my left boot in the 11.5 when compared to my right foot. Two guys working also ride the Photons, and wear the boot true to size. They both suggested I go with the 11's since I measure to an 11. Therefore I logically I decided to get the Photons in a size 11. I also got them heat molded.

Once I got on the mountain I was stoked because I was expecting to have a heel lift and pain free ride, but that is not the case. I am still experiencing heel lift in both boots and discomfort at the end of the run. The heel lift is less than before but it still exists in both boots when going toeside with moderate force (still mainly my right foot). I personally feel the 11's were the right choice because the width of the boot is slightly hurting my feet, though I am expecting this to go away once the boots break in.

The new boots fit better, but by the end of the run I am still eager to loosen the boa and sit down. They are definitely not boots I can last all day with or even half of a day. I'm honestly really disappointed because I have spent so much money and time on my boots yet they still do not fit. Last year this really affected my snowboarding because I'd have to take breaks in the lodge for my feet while all my college friends were out there shredding.

All I know is I cant keep spending money on boots. Can you guys recommend me a boot fitter? Someone who can fit my boots perfectly who you also know will do the job right. I am wiling to drive anywhere in Vermont to find this boot Wizard馃槀.

(Also after reading a few other discussions on the forum I feel that I maybe should have got the 10.5 wide and maybe they would have packed out?? Is that true? I really dont feel that they would have especially since the width discomfort I'm experiencing in the 11's)

Thanks!

Registered
I鈥檓 thinking about making the 5 hr drive to see that guy after 3 seasons in a row of bad boot fit. Just can鈥檛 get it right this time lol. Anyone have any suggestions a little further south?

Registered
Become an rei member, buy the boots from them. Try them if they don鈥檛 fit well return, you have a year to try them. Aren鈥檛 you in Nj? They have boots at the East Hanover location.

Registered
Become an rei member, buy the boots from them. Try them if they don鈥檛 fit well return, you have a year to try them. Aren鈥檛 you in Nj? They have boots at the East Hanover location.
REI doesn't have a bootfitter to fine tune the boots you bought. Better off going to Ski Barn in Wayne on Rte 23N, and make an appointment to see Greg Pier for a nominal fee. But, in Midtown Manhattan, one of the best in the area is Jeff Rich, US Orthotic Center.

Registered
REI doesn't have a bootfitter to fine tune the boots you bought. Better off going to Ski Barn in Wayne on Rte 23N, and make an appointment to see Greg Pier for a nominal fee. But, in Midtown Manhattan, one of the best in the area is Jeff Rich, US Orthotic Center.
Yes but once heat molded or used ski barn will not take them back. Rei will fully refund you if you and not satisfied with the way they feel. So yes might get a better fit at ski barn but if for some reason it doesn't work out on the slopes you have some insurance from REI. Plus if you become a member and keep them you will get 10% cash or credit back next year( comes as credit but can save it and ask for cash come july).

Ski barn seems like they primarily want to move product, Rei seems like they genuinely want to help you find the right product. I have shopped at both and that is solely my opinion.

Registered
I know where your coming from, my fourth different boot in 4 seasons. I can't get it right either. Hopefully the ones I just got will be better. Went with wiredsports instructions this time

Registered
I'm also looking for a boot fitter. Is it worth the drive from NH to VT to see Dan at outdoor sports? Last season's boots are no longer an option. due to breaking my leg&ankle during the off season, I'm unable to get I to my boots anymore as i could barely get in them last season.

Registered
Ya'll, its veeery rare that a boot off the shelf and without mods will fit your feet, feel great and have a performance fit. However, you can become a fairly decent diy boot fitter yourself....BECAUSE its your feet and you are the one feeling what yer feet need...and no boot fitter can feel yer feet...but wiredsport has a sharp eye. Watch BA boot fitting series, read the boot faq sticky, buy some foam sheet and bits from tognar, get out some tape and sharpie and give it a try. When adding bits you really can't frick it up, if its too much whittle the foam bits down. Yea its going to take some tweak time but this time will be minimal compared to the benefits of having a great and comfortable fit. Why drive 3 hours. I have a great boot fitter that is a 15 minute walk from my house that I started to use last year and had him fit another pair AT boots last week. Last year, he looked at my feet took a couple of measurements and said to get this size and model of boot. I went out and found a pair at a steep discount and brought them back to be fitted. This summer I bought another pair and again had him heat fit them...yup they are close...about 90% dialed...but I know I will be spending at least a day on the mountain tweaking them with a pair of scissors, tape and a sharpie. Get off yer ignorant lazy arse and become a little cobbler elf...yer frick'n feet, stoke and ride will be delighted. Knowing what I know now, follow wiredsports instructions and advice should get you in a boot that you can work with, then start in with the diy.

But if ya gots fricked feet...then maybe go to a pro.

Registered
The fitting itself isn't the problem, I need a boot that will open up more (easier to slide foot in) now that I've got a few screws in my ankle.

Registered
The fitting itself isn't the problem, I need a boot that will open up more (easier to slide foot in) now that I've got a few screws in my ankle.
Well you can still do somethings...like loosen the laces, open the boas up more and pop the knob to keep them open, use a boot horn, use wicking liners instead of socks, spray the inside of the liner with silicone, perhaps cut the wrap/webbing where the tongue is attached to get the boots opened more. Get some AT atomic backland boots...they are the easiest to get on/off because you release the cuff lock and they open up quite abit.

Registered
You might need to get a boot horn to slide the foot in. Shoot Dan an email see what he says as he might have some remedies for you, but my guess is a 9 dollar boot horn which is essentially just a long ass giant shoe horn will get that foot in.

Registered
I looked up Jeff Rich, it looks like he does Orthopedic Molds. What am I missing here? Does he do boot fitting as well?

Registered
I looked up Jeff Rich, it looks like he does Orthopedic Molds. What am I missing here? Does he do boot fitting as well?
Yes he does. He did my bootfitting and custom orthotics on my old DC Judge boa focus boots.

He doesn't sell boots, even though he has boots on display in his waiting room. He is one of the brain childs behind America's Best Bootfitters training program.

His orthotics for fully custom and does not use any of the ABB products.

When I went to Greg Pier for new bootfitting, he told me to just stick with the Jeff Rich orthotics

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts