Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This forum is an excellent resource, thanks all and in particular @Wiredsport thanks for the guidance on sizing! I’m a long time lurker/reader, but first time poster. Just pulled the trigger on my first board purchase in about 15 years, and am now deciding on boots and bindings. Would love your insights on boot sizing and brands if you have any thoughts. I followed your measurement procedures exactly, and came up with the following:
Right foot - 30.5 cm length, 10.05cm width
Left foot - 30.6 cm length, 10.3cm width.

based on the above and Wiredsport’s online tool, looks like I’m between a 12.5 and 13 boot, which I guess means a 13... in my recent demo I was on a set of Burton size 13 softish boots which felt decent. Although I found myself REALLY cranking down the straps on the bindings and the boa on the boots for maximum response.

i’m 6’8” tall, weigh 208 lbs, and would consider myself an advanced intermediate. Love to carve as much as possible, and after demoing and loving one, just bought a Jones Flagship 169W. Rewind 20 yrs or so, and I used to own a Burton Asym carving board with plate bindings and hard boots (!) talk about blast from the past. For my new setup, have been looking at a set of Burton Photons, with either Now Drive bindings, OR a full Photon Step On boot/binding combo, given I’ve heard good things about the responsiveness and convenience of that combo.

Any thoughts/feedback would be much appreciated!
Pics:

Attachments

·
Registered
455 Posts
Step ons require you to use Burton boots, which unfortunately don't fit my particular feet very well so I can't give any real feedback there. If you can handle the process of strapping in, Now Drives put down the power with great response and would be an excellent fit on that flagship. My vote is for the Drives matched with literally whatever boot fits your feet best with the flex you're after. Also, you might be able to get away with the 12.5 and have a smaller footprint if you use heel wedges in there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, @WigMar - the feedback is much appreciated. On the boot front, I've only tried on Burtons, since I live in Austin TX where there's a distinct lack of winter gear retailers. The only shop in town that carries snowboard gear only had boots big enough for me from Burton, and not even the Photon at that. As far as 12.5's go, Burton doesn't make any (whole sizes only when you get to 12 or 13, I think), but I guess I should cast a wider net if I decide to go with strap bindings instead of the Step Ons.

This brings up another question: Are there any boot manufacturers/models that work better for narrow feet like mine?

FYI I may be heading up to Taos Ski Valley in a couple of weeks and will hopefully be able to hit a retailer there with options to try... although it makes me a little nervous to leave the final boot/binding decision till then. I guess worst case I could rent boots/bindings while I make the final call. Stoked to try the new Flagship though!!! :)

·
Registered
455 Posts
I've got an older flagship, and I think you're gonna love it! That board gave me so much more confidence it blew my mind.

I totally forgot about people not making half sizes after 12. That's pretty lame. I used to ride 13's but cram into 11.5 boots now. It didn't feel awesome for the first few days, and that could eat into your Taos trip. Aftermarket insoles can help take up some extra volume when you have long skinny feet like that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've got an older flagship, and I think you're gonna love it! That board gave me so much more confidence it blew my mind.
Awesome! I demoed a Flagship in Breck a few weeks back, and even though it was a bit small for me (it was a 162W and my ideal size is the 169W), I felt exactly what you're talking about. Huge confidence booster, rock solid & stable at speed, no tendency to catch edges on the flats, and seemed to help take my carving to the next level. I'm no Ryan Knapton but I was feeling pretty smug rocking down the mountain on the Flagship. Very excited about owning one and breaking it in.

BTW, on the boot/binding front, the decision regarding Step On's may get made for me by boot availability. It doesn't look like there are any Photon Step Ons ANYWHERE in the country in a size 13 any more. So it's either wait till next season's gear, or go with regular bindings like the Drives and hope I can find a pair of boots that work for me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts