Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like my feet are killing me every time I ride and causing me to stop for a break every hundred feet since the pain is unbearable. I always had pain but usually ignored it but this year it has gotten way worse

I have flat feet and I believe my benefits are giving me a free new set of orthodics this year so I am wondering what the best way to fix my feet problem would be?

My old orthodics did not really fit in my boots and the pairs I did manage to fit them in it made the pain even worse. It was the long full foot orthodics.

I also see people with the plastic arch ones that may fit better? Anybody have flat feet and find a solution?

I need to replace the garbage burton boots I bought last year so I am open to anything. I wondering if any orthodics place would know anything about this?

The old set of insoles was done by my chiropractor and he suggested I should just use them in my boots but that was a complete fail.

Not sure where to start.
I live in Ottawa so suggestions are welcome.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I don't believe there are any boots designed for flat feet. Most people go with insoles, or orthotics. Traditionally boot insole from the mfg are garbage. Contact a local boot fitter and they should be able to direct you to an podiatrist that specializes in orthotics for boots.

·
Registered
468 Posts
You could also just skip the orthotics and train the muscles in your foot.
You won't rebuild the arch but you'll have a lot more endurance in your feet/better balance/agility and all that good stuff

·
Registered
893 Posts
You need new boots and footbeds custom built for your snowboard boots. Chiropractors make them to correct daily walking issues not snowboarding issues.
Chiropractors don't do that

Podiatrists correct walking issues

Podiatrists have pedorthist make orthotics from them

Some of the best boot fitters are also pedorthists, as they can make a footbed in-house.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Seems like my feet are killing me every time I ride and causing me to stop for a break every hundred feet since the pain is unbearable. I always had pain but usually ignored it but this year it has gotten way worse

I have flat feet and I believe my benefits are giving me a free new set of orthodics this year so I am wondering what the best way to fix my feet problem would be?

My old orthodics did not really fit in my boots and the pairs I did manage to fit them in it made the pain even worse. It was the long full foot orthodics.

I also see people with the plastic arch ones that may fit better? Anybody have flat feet and find a solution?

I need to replace the garbage burton boots I bought last year so I am open to anything. I wondering if any orthodics place would know anything about this?

The old set of insoles was done by my chiropractor and he suggested I should just use them in my boots but that was a complete fail.

Not sure where to start.
I live in Ottawa so suggestions are welcome.
I think Dinardos Skis and Wheels in Bells Corners has a boot fitter, try Kunstadt Sports in the Glebe too as I think they work with one as well. Quite possibly the same guy.He mainly does ski boots but can likely help you. And if not at least point you to someone who could.

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
Be careful about taking advice for this that costs money. I've heard and tried everything. Most people post that they did some simple thing X and their problems went away. So far, that hasn't worked for me. I've seen several bootfitters at the top of their game and gone through 2 pairs of insoles (superfeet, sole, etc), 2 pairs of custom footbeds (the expensive ones, $150+). Two pairs of boots, two pairs of bindings...still pain for much of the day. Generally for me, the latter half of the day it becomes bearable and I don't have to take breaks so often. Sometimes I get a bad day and it's pain all day. Rarely, I'll get a good day that I can go most of the day without it being too bad.

FWIW, there are two types of flat feet. Rigid, and flexible. From what I understand, flexible flat feet is easier to solve. Mine are rigid, and yours probably are as well from the sounds of it.

The only thing I had not yet tried was the $400 orthotics from a podiatrist. I was about to do that this week or next, to prepare for next season. Last time I saw one, that was the only suggestion they had. If your experience is any indication, it sounds like that would have been wasted...

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
If your feet are that rigid, I'd look into some physical therapy to improve bone mobility. I had to do a crapload of that after I broke my leg in '03 and again after I snapped my Achilles in '10. You would be surprised at how little range of motion most people have in their feet compared to what they should have. Often times several sections are completely seized...

·
Registered
12,605 Posts

Podiatrists correct walking issues

Podiatrists have pedorthist make orthotics from them

Some of the best boot fitters are also pedorthists, as they can make a footbed in-house.
Pretty sure I went through years of custom built footbeds from my chiropractor.

I'm a boot fitter his issues aren't going to be addressed by a bunch of half assed answers from people on a forum. He needs to go try on some boots and find a fitter that is willing to work with him and the boots.

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
^Nope, that won't do shit other than waste money, I promise.

And yeah, chiropractors aren't qualified to treat feet issues...or anything else really.

Edit: Not implying bootfitters don't do shit, I have met many very good ones, just that there are certain problems that they can't solve. What works great for relatively normal feet can still be completely ineffective for certain types of problematic feet.

I don't have any solutions, just want to save you some money, having already spent a lot going down this road myself.

OP, see a previous thread for some background:

http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boots/54802-pleading-help-expert-boot-fitter-anyone.html

·
Registered
307 Posts
I have super flat feet and used to have TERRIBLE foot pain when riding. So bad that I would have to stop unstrap and chill for a bit until I was able to ride again.

My solution was to remove the footbeds that come with my boots. Totally fixed my foot pains and didn't cost me a penny. I do this every time I get a new pair of boots and it's been basically pain free riding ever since.

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
I have super flat feet and used to have TERRIBLE foot pain when riding. So bad that I would have to stop unstrap and chill for a bit until I was able to ride again.

My solution was to remove the footbeds that come with my boots. Totally fixed my foot pains and didn't cost me a penny. I do this every time I get a new pair of boots and it's been basically pain free riding ever since.
What the...you ride with NO footbeds at all? :blink:

·
Registered
468 Posts
Chiropractors are allowed to treat feet and certain people who specialize it are VERY good at it.
In washington state, chiropractors are not allowed to do a lot of things and have to be spine focused. Everywhere else they can do what they want for musculoskeletal problems.

Your problem is not that you have flat feet, as there are 100000000 people who have flat feet and absolutely no problems. It can be a contributing factor to your biomechanics but it's mainly that you need conditioning somewhere and improved biomechanics.
Ankle dorsiflexion is a great place to start as well as endurance. training/proprioceptive training for the feet. The problem is most people want to focus on static positions when training these things. There needs to be movement incorporated into rehabilitation.

Common problems i see with riders / feet problems.... they're pressuring there ankles and tippy toeing inside the boot wayyyyy too much. Let your ankles be heavy when you're pressuring your toe edge and get your butt low when you're pressuring your heal edge.
Tippy toeing will contract foot flexors and 99% of people they will not be in shape enough to do this for long periods of time. Maybe bare foot runners are the only people who can handle this over the course of a few hours.

Now how does ankle dorsiflexion play into this? When you cant dorsiflexion your ankles you can't squat properly and you have to cheat to get low to the ground. So when you're supposed to be using leverage you're trying to physically push the board back and forth with your feet, which ends up fatiguing muscles thus causing them to scream at you to stop.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Yes, they do.

Had my last pair of orthodics from one of my former chiros. My current DC does orthodics as well.

And yeah, chiropractors aren't qualified to treat feet issues...or anything else really.
False. See below.

Chiropractors are allowed to treat feet and certain people who specialize it are VERY good at it.
Very true.

Look for a CCEP (Certified Chiropractic Extremity Practitioner). Feet are an extremity. My DC is a CCEP. My feet have been happy.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Eatridesleep
Washington state has a very narrow scope for Chiro.... Pretty much spine only and historically relevant chiropractic. That's probably why he said what he said. In most states people people are VERY good at what they specialize in.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Ah, good point. I've heard some states are like that unfortunately.

Also unfortunate is that there are far more chiros who leave much to be desired than those who are solid. I've a solid one now (having had experience with six). My guy is good.

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
Well no, the reason I said that is because although chiropractors are allowed to do that, it doesn't mean they are qualified to. Chiropractic is unsubstantiated quack medicine and pseudoscience, and there is no basis for anything they do. It's like accupuncture and homeopathy. You should just go to real doctors, or at least a pedorthist.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiropractic_controversy_and_criticism

Anybody who has been seeing one is unlikely to admit to themselves that they're basically being scammed or experiencing placebo, but for the benefit of others seeking real treatment, it's worth making this clear.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts