Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually ride indoors because we don't have mountains or snow here. The boxes I'm used to slide really well and don't really slow you down.

When I do get to go to the slopes, I notice that boxes often slow me down a lot. This completely throws me off balance and scares the shit out of me. Even 50/50's get scary when suddenly the board just wants to stop.

Has anybody experienced this? Does anybody know how to fix this?

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've never ridden indoors but certain boxes at the park I ride are a lot slower than others. The boxes that are slower are a gross brownish color, almost like ledges that had been waxed in skating. I usually just avoid going on those because sometimes you cannot get enough speed to get over them. No idea how to fix it though

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Just go faster. the faster the easier.
I had a moment today where I went on too slow had to jump off.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Going faster will get you all the way across the box, but you gotta be ready for it to still slow you down. Cuz if you hit a really sticky box with a lot of speed and you're not ready for it to slow you down, that's a recipe for a faceplant.

·
Registered
10,674 Posts
It's counter-intuitive to our natural survival instincts, but honestly, adding some speed to the equation generally makes everything on a snowboard easier.

This is assuming you're going slow. If you're riding around at 45mph, amping it up to 60mph isn't gonna do you any good. :hairy:

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
It's counter-intuitive to our natural survival instincts, but honestly, adding some speed to the equation generally makes everything on a snowboard easier.

This is assuming you're going slow. If you're riding around at 45mph, amping it up to 60mph isn't gonna do you any good. :hairy:
But unless you have an Infinite Improbability Drive you can't go fast without going slow first. So you really oughta get good at that first :)

On a more serious note. On my second lesson the instructor basically said if you can turn going slow you can do so fast, but it isn't necessarily true the other way out. I think it's a pretty true statement.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts