Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my boyfriend surprised me with a new board for Christmas. The beautiful 2016 Rossignol Diva 152 with a big bow on it. I just have a few questions regarding it as this thing feels huge compared to my current board.

Here is a little history about me:
Been riding for almost 20 years (since I was 9). I rented gear all the way up until I was 16. Then my Mom surprised me with a new board/bindings. Was an old LTD, the "Moxie" I think, with some Ride Vixen bindings. Wasn't a terrible set up for a first board I guess. It got me by for about 9-10 years. It finally came to a point when I realized that the LTD board was holding me back from really being able to ride well, the thing was so unstable and was really exhausting. So then a few years ago I sold it off and got a Gnu BTX B-nice (2012/13). It was like night and day. I loved it, but I think at that point any modern board would of felt amazing. I love the magnetraction of the Gnu and the continuos rocker. The amount of control I had was absolutely amazing compared to my old board. I was able to do way more with more confidence. Was way less work to switch edges, etc. Though now that I've been riding it a few years and have felt more confident to go beyond the groomers and explore, I feel that this board can be a little bit of a drag in some deep powder or fresh snow. I feel I have to work so hard to keep the tip up even after I set back my stance a smidge. And then when I return back to the groomers, I feel a lot of wiggle and edge catching, and it may just be because my legs are so tired from all the work in the powder. The Gnu is a BTX B-Nice 148, with Roxy Rock-It Power bindings (Which I like, a lot a lot, since my boyfriend is a skier and I'm able to strap in quickly and take off).

About Me: I am 5'7" and weigh around 127Lbs, and wear women's US boot size 8.5/9. My weight fluctuates between 123 - 130. I enjoy All Mountain - Freeride. Love the bowls. I'll go through a park sometimes and do a few jumps here and there, but I really enjoy exploring in the trees and powder areas and maybe some groomers here and there. I enjoy Jackson Hole, WY & Steamboat, CO, but my favorite place to go is Big Sky, MT. It's pretty amazing there. Anyways...

Well before I mount some bindings on this new board (Rossignol Diva 2016 - 152) and it becomes nonreturnable or nonexchangeable. It just feels like a monster next to my Gnu, but then again maybe my Gnu is too short for me or maybe I've out grown it... Before I was given the Rossi, I was also eyeing the Jones Twin Sister and was't sure if maybe I should trade it in for that instead. Or will I be fine with the Rossi Diva with its RCR and size? Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
447 Posts
The Gnu was a 148 and the new Rossi is a 152? 4cm doesn't sound like a 'monstrous' difference to me. Obviously there are other factors but if your primary concern is length I'd say that difference is negligible.

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
With your experience you should be able to enjoy this board immensely. Difference is your old roxy was likely full rocker, or mostly rocker and your new board is mostly camber. Which will require a bit more focus on riding technique. Imo I think you'll be more than fine with the Diva. The twin sister shares many similarities in camber shape, sidecut radius, effective edge, magne traction and most likely feel. They're not identical as the twin sister is set back, but you wouldn't be changing much between the two. 152 could be slightly big, but if you want something to perform in powder, I'd say keep it. The early rise rocker in tip and tail will give you all the float you need.

·
Premium Member
7,650 Posts
With your experience you should be able to enjoy this board immensely. Difference is your old roxy was likely full rocker, our mostly rocker and your new board is mostly camber. Which will require a bit more focus on riding technique. Imo I think you'll be more than fine with the Diva. The twin sister shares many similarities in camber shape, sidecut radius, effective edge, magne traction and most likely feel. They're not identical as the twin sister is set back, but you wouldn't be changing much between the two. 152 could be slightly big, but if you want something to perform in powder, I'd say keep it. The early rise rocker in top and tail will give you all the float you need.
This is right on and also this new board will give you room to grow. I can't ride a full rocker board any more, too squirrelly going fast. I am OK with crc but on really hard pack it gets wild when going fast. The mostly cambered boards are where it's at.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
^ +3 What they said.

You have the experience. The extra length will be just the thing you are looking for when in the "white room". I'd say your boyfriend did his homework. Give him a big hug and get out there and take your game to a new level.

:snowboard1:

·
Registered
8,281 Posts
It just feels like a monster next to my Gnu, but then again maybe my Gnu is too short for me or maybe I've out grown it... Before I was given the Rossi, I was also eyeing the Jones Twin Sister and was't sure if maybe I should trade it in for that instead. Or will I be fine with the Rossi Diva with its RCR and size? Thanks!
Well I shall decent from the others and say return it and get a crc like a gnu lady's choice....imo the crc will do better in deeper pow and be more agile off piste in trees and such...and work great in pow bowls, if on icy groomed blasting it just takes a bit of adjustment to be abit more aggressive and overcome the wobbles compared to a cambered dominate...imo agility over locked on groomers. Perhaps another board is bpro with c3 ...but LC offers a lot of control and confidence vs bpro takes abit more aggressive attitude.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My wife is pretty much the same height and weight as you. She's a beginner, but she's riding a Rossi 150 pretty comfortably. I think a 152 for you sounds a bout right. I find for myself a new board with 4 cm can feel quite a bit different at first, but that sounds like a better size for you then the GNU. IMO.

·
The Swiss Miss
7,478 Posts
No matter if you go with RCR or CRC... keep the length if the width is fine!
With +4cm it's not so much the lenght which makes a difference, but the width change - which comes with the length change. If the bigger board is still narrow enough for your feet? Bigger is better. You'll have a blast getting a new float experience, not having to lean on your back foot :)

I like decent float and ride 154-156ish RCR freeride boards for pow, (@120ish lb, mostly in high alpine terrain).

·
Shred Monster
1,192 Posts
GNU's seem to have a more narrow waist width, just something I've noticed and I think even on paper it says so. That's part of what is so fun about them and easy to turn (plus they are asym?) I'm not super techy so don't shoot me if I'm wrong. Anyways, the BNice is super fun to ride and play around on, but you'll eventually grow out of it and it sounds like you are at that point.

Wrath is right about the Ladies Choice, that board is fun for literally everything except carving. You'll be fine going from 148 to 152, but I understand what you mean about it seeming like a big jump. It won't be like your BNICE at all and that's not a bad thing. How did he go about picking this board out for you? He obviously thinks you can handle it and whoever he must have talked to to pick it out?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I love it!

Sorry it took me so long to message back! I truly appreciate everyones comments and knowledge. I was able to test it out like the 3rd week of January out in Steamboat. It just kept dumping out there so the conditions were absolutely heavenly! It dumped like 3 feet in 5 days, was awesome. But about the board. I love it, I love ii so much that I don't see myself riding my GNU ever again. It is fast, easy to maneuver, and has great float. Before with my GNU I felt it was hard work to try to keep up with my boyfriend's speed, now he is having trouble keeping up with me. The stability of this thing at high speeds is night and day compared to the old board and I even have more control over icier conditions. I didn't feel like I was having to work as hard which allowed me to last a lot longer and take less breaks. So overall I'm more than happy with it and don't even know why I was worried about the length/width before. Can't wait to get back out there! T - 3 days until BIG SKY!!! Thanks again everyone! :grin:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,650 Posts
Sorry it took me so long to message back! I truly appreciate everyones comments and knowledge. I was able to test it out like the 3rd week of January out in Steamboat. It just kept dumping out there so the conditions were absolutely heavenly! It dumped like 3 feet in 5 days, was awesome. But about the board. I love it, I love ii so much that I don't see myself riding my GNU ever again. It is fast, easy to maneuver, and has great float. Before with my GNU I felt it was hard work to try to keep up with my boyfriend's speed, now he is having trouble keeping up with me. The stability of this thing at high speeds is night and day compared to the old board and I even have more control over icier conditions. I didn't feel like I was having to work as hard which allowed me to last a lot longer and take less breaks. So overall I'm more than happy with it and don't even know why I was worried about the length/width before. Can't wait to get back out there! T - 3 days until BIG SKY!!! Thanks again everyone! :grin:

sounds like a win on the new board. I love bigsky.

·
Premium Member
951 Posts
Buh-HAHAHAH! Skier boyfriend having trouble keeping up with his snowboarder girlfriend. That HAS to hurt. I foresee him buying new skis in the near future. :giggle:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts