Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that breaking in the boots is a subject that has been discussed through and trough but my issue is slightly different than a wrong boot for my foot or the wrong size.

I have too much pressure on top of my left foot and it makes my foot numb. We can't say that the boots are the wrong ones, since my right one feels awesome : just snug all around, no heel lift whatsoever.

I think the issue comes from the fact that the right one was the "shelf" one in the store, and the left one was still in the box. Maybe the right one was just tried on many more times than the left one at the store. I can feel the difference in the top part of the boot being stiffer.

Is it just from the shelf and then wearing it for a while should solve the issue, or maybe i should re-heat mould it ? I think that when we did it in the store, I put the right one on first, then the left one. Is it possible that the few second in between both would have been enough of a temperature change to change the effect of the heat molding process of the left one ?

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
No, a few second difference will not affect how the boots mold.

Most people have slightly different sized feet and that is likely what you are feeling. Personally, my left foot is about 1/4 to 1/3 of a size larger than my right foot. If I size boots to my right foot, the left feels tight, and if I size to my larger left foot, my right get a bit of heel lift.

What I usually do (with burton boots) is size to my larger left foot, then get some J-bars to lock my right heel in. That's not your issue though...

I would NOT heat them up again. I rarely tell anyone to actually use heat to mold their boots, as the heat from a couple riding sessions will do it for you. If you try to re-heat mold them you could end up breaking in more than you want to in other areas, like the heel for instance.

I would just throw on some thick socks, or two pairs, and then tighten the lower section of the boot as much as possible. Don't even wear normal knee socks, as you are happy with the fit around the ankle and calf. Wear 2 or 3 pairs of ankle socks. Tighten the boot up and seriously go jog around for awhile. Just deal with the pain and numbness for as long as possible now while running around the house, and when you actually take them riding with a normal thickness sock it should be much better. I have numerous friends that will wear their new boots around their work for a day, just to break them in slow and proper.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts