1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Brand: Burton
Model: [ak] Hover
Year: 2018
Waterproofing: GORE-TEX® Pro Shell Fabric [3-Layer] with 70D Gore Micro Grid Backer. Fully Taped Seams with GORE-SEAM® 3L Tape,
Insulation: Shell,
Size: Mens L (Waist 35-37"),
Fit: Regular Articulated,
Venting: Crossflow Venting™ Thigh Vents,
Colour: "Kodiak Camo",
RRP: $Au579-699 ('18 to '20), ($US469.95),
Rider: 191cm (6'4") 93kg (205lbs),
Camera: GoPro Hero 7 Black/Smatree S2C carbon pole.

Hover .jpg

The [ak] Hover 3L GORE-TEX® Pro pants sit pretty much near the top of Burton's performance outerwear and consequently command some pretty serious coin $$$$ to ride in. So let's have a closer look at what you're getting when you jump into a pair of these premium level snowboard pants.

Hover 4.jpg

Let's start here......, unfortunately being an Australian snowboarder we are handed some, how do we say it nicely, pretty shit conditions at times down here. Generally our Alpine temperatures "Hover" either side of 0C and more so in the + side of this as well. Moisture and rain are our daily ever foe as generally it snows then immediately melts on your outerwear straight away. As a result GORE-TEX®/30K rated protection is definitely the go to choice down here. Personally I've always been a big GORE-TEX® fan for over a decade now with all my gear. I have a number of pairs of 2L Cyclic pants that fit unreal and perform brilliantly.

Hover 1.jpg

Always looking for a bargain I was able to grab a pair of [ak] Hover pants from EOS sales a few months ago at a pretty good discounted price of $Au270 ($US193). At first I looked at the colour "Kodiak Camo" online and felt it could be a bit of love or hate but in the flesh and kitted up with my TB Cyclic jacket, man these pants look pretty damn sweet.

So the main reason the Burton [ak] Hover pants have such a pricey RRP is that they are 70D GORE-TEX® pro 3L fabric. This fabric is lightweight but pretty robust to wear and tear with Burton giving it their Lifetime Warranty. I had a couple of tomahawked spills during the week and they had no problems being dished out the rough treatment.

20200815_141846.jpg

Anyway, most importantly, how do they fit. There is the slightest feeling of stretch in the Hovers fabric which makes them pretty comfortable on. They sit pretty standard for a size Large on my 191cm 6'4"/93kg frame with the only real criticism I could warrant was that the cuffs should be just slightly a bit more "flarier" to enable going over the highbacks easier without having to unzip.

20200815_141423.jpg

The [ak] Hover pants being 3L are pretty minimalistic in volume density. There is no protective 2nd layer for the GORE-TEX® membrane as found in 2L gear as the outer-layer, GORE-TEX® membrane and the micro grid backer (3x Layers) are all fused together to create one layer of fabric.

20200815_143559.jpg

So I ran the Burton [ak] Hover pants over a 5 day period in a variety of elements; sunny days, overcast/white out days, very light snow and sadly rain which was a pretty good test environment to put them through their paces. I felt pretty comfortable temperature wise all the time but felt that you may need further insulation when riding in colder sub zero conditions like Japan/Canada.

Hover 3.jpg

The [ak] Hover pants performed brilliantly and were bulletproof ultra dry in the rain. Water just beads off these pants with ease and there was zero wet out absorption of the outer layer fabric. Breathability was really superb and I had no problems with overheating even on the warmer days. It's great having the options of inner and outer venting choices to cool down those burning quads.

vlcsnap-2020-08-15-09h33m55s446 (2).png

The articulative performance of the [ak] Hover pants when pushed to the limits is pretty impressive. I had no restrictions to physical movements and was able to comfortably move around with simplistic ease whilst riding fast and hard all day.

vlcsnap-2020-08-15-12h22m12s751 (2).png

I've noticed from 2020 that Burton [ak] have gone to meshed thigh and pit zips on most of their outerwear. The 2020 Hover get this inclusion. These pants being 2018 season just have open zips. I rarely ever heat up that much anyway as I generally run pretty light with just a base layer and a shell/insulated jacket matched to the location I'm riding.

vlcsnap-2020-08-15-15h47m20s562 (2).png

So the Burton [ak] Hover 3L GORE-TEX® pro snowboard pants really put a big smile on your face whilst riding. They're a definite winner with fit, style and technical performance. I have a variety of Gore-Tex pants and from now on these will be my number 1 go to for riding.

Simply..., sensational.

5 stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Had another week in the [ak] Hover pants. Absolutely love these pants. Have them layered up with [ak] Powergrid pants which work okay for Australia. Just wondering what guys do in really cold climate with 3L pants for baselayer as I feel that these would be a bit colder than 2L pants as they have that extra inner layer in addition to the 2L shell.

Do you use heavier baselayer or double up baselayer pants?

·
Premium Member
2,988 Posts
Just wondering what guys do in really cold climate with 3L pants for baselayer as I feel that these would be a bit colder than 2L pants as they have that extra inner layer in addition to the 2L shell.

Do you use heavier baselayer or double up baselayer pants?
I use the Volcom Guide 3L pants and just vary my baselayers. 200 Merino, 260 Merino, and Arcteryx Rho AR which is a relatively thick/high pile fleece layer. If it's colder than -20 I combine the 200 Merino with the Rho AR.

Reactions: Craig64

·
Registered
728 Posts
I've got a merino baselayer that are basically all I ever wear under my pants, unless it's really cold under 10 or so Fahrenheit). In that case, honestly I just add a pair of sweatpants. I think we definitely overthink/overspend on things that are completely unnecessary at times.

When I'm splitting, I've never worn more than the baselayer. I do run on the hot side though.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've got a merino baselayer that are basically all I ever wear under my pants, unless it's really cold under 10 or so Fahrenheit). In that case, honestly I just add a pair of sweatpants. I think we definitely overthink/overspend on things that are completely unnecessary at times.

When I'm splitting, I've never worn more than the baselayer. I do run on the hot side though.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
I have 2 pairs of [ak] powergrid (200) pants so this is the route I'd go when I'm able to get back to Japan.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I use the Volcom Guide 3L pants and just vary my baselayers. 200 Merino, 260 Merino, and Arcteryx Rho AR which is a relatively thick/high pile fleece layer. If it's colder than -20 I combine the 200 Merino with the Rho AR.
I see they have some Burton expedition pants in my size on sale at present which are heavy weight 300 as opposed to Powergrid 200. Maybe these would be a better option for Japan rather than doubling up on midweights. Found a small amount of reviews but they are a bit hit and miss on them though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts