Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've spent 20 days on a Burton Antler Flying V and I finally feel ready to write a review.

Me and the Setup:
5'10" and 165 lbs
Ability - Expert
Location - Western Washington
157.5 Antler Flying V with Cartels (23" 21,-12)

Powder:
OH MY GOD! After 25 years of riding cambered boards, this thing is a revelation in powder. Sure, it doesn't float like Fish or Hovercraft, we are talking about a twinish board with a centered stance that I also happily ride in the park. I can cut higher traverses in the powder and glide over pillows better than any other board I have owned. It's a blast ripping long carves of small surfy turns but it can be a challenge to sink the tail which is either good or bad depending on the conditions.

Groomers:
After riding cambered boards for so many years, there was a real learning curve on groomers. I found that I had to center my weight up more than on cambered board and keep my knees more outwards while carving. Since making these adjustments, I've been quite satisfied. You lose some grip on ice and some power coming out of carves compared to a cambered board, but it's pretty darn good and you can't have it all. The spooned tips and profile make flat basing a breeze.

Park:
I have taken this board off jumps small, medium and large and I've been very happy with it's performance. Any issues I encountered were the fault of the pilot rather than the craft :) I find the flex just right in terms having pop and stability but still being forgiving for the occasional "rolling down the windows" hit. I don't really jib much so I can't really comment much on that, but I would opt for something shorter with blunter tips if jibbing was a big part of my riding.

Trees and Bumps:
I really like how this board handles in the trees and bumps. It's got a lot of tail you have to make sure you don't bump into the trees while jump turning, but it's agile and easy to glide up and over almost anything in front of you. As long as I keep my weight centered, it's quite good in the bumps as well. The spooned tips really make it easier to switch edges in the uneven snow without catching. Once again, you have a pretty long tail so you have to be mindful when maneuvering and jump turning, but this is a pretty solid bump board at moderate speed.

Switch:
The board has a twin flex and the stance is centered on the edge but the nose is about 3/4 of an inch longer than the tail. When riding groomers or park, you'd never know that you aren't on a true twin. The deep sidecut really helps facilitate the switch carves. In the powder, you can actually ride pretty decently switch. Heck I landed a drop into bottomless powder switch after getting knocked and spun around on the lead in.

Final Verdict:
I live in the PacNW where the conditions are extremely variable and the terrain is quite technical. I wanted a board that could hit pow and park in the same day (or sometimes in the same run). I was looking for something forgiving enough handle sketchy traverses and very tight terrain but not wash out at speed or be too floppy for decent sized jumps. I think this board is a very good fit for me and my local terrain. The snow here is generally pretty good, so I am able to have a primary board that is so-so on ice and I kept a cambered board in my quiver to be safe.

Bottom line, I'm very happy with this board and it suits my style and terrain, but it's not for everybody. I would not choose this board if I still lived on the ice coast, and I might want something significantly more aggressive if I l rode somewhere with more open terrain like Colorado or Bachelor. If you like to ride the whole mountain and live somewhere with good snow and technical terrain, I give this board a hearty :thumbsup:

·
Registered
365 Posts
Hey poop,
Did you managed to test other hybrid camber boards like the FA or the Trick Pony to feel the difference between hybrid camber, camber and Flying-v boards?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts