Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys need some help here!

Looking for a powder board to use up here in the PNW. I'm 6'1" 175lbs. I'm considering the following 3 boards and can't really demo them:

Burton Barracuda 157
GNU Swallowtail 157
Lib Tech MC Nootka 159

Some more background info: Currently ride a Jamie Lynn 160, I love to go fast (prob due to the board) don't really hit jumps but hit double blacks and search for good snow in the trees. Open for new shapes (thats why 3 different boards). I know theses all have different camber profiles but I want something that I can handle a little easier in steep and deep powder.

Which one would you get any why?

Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
I just pulled the trigger today on a Gnu Swallow Tail Carver 157. It met all my criteria of pointy nose and notch/fish/swallow tail, sintered base, and tapered directional with plenty of setback. Also on the short list was the Arbor Shreddy Krueger, Gnu Zoid and Space Out and Never Summer Swift. Found a deal I couldn't refuse so I ended up with this one....hope I made the right choice! Like you, I needed it to excel at pow float but also be agile in the trees and be able to carve on hardpack, which I think it will do.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sure it will be awesome! How much did you get it for?

Anyone on here ever use the Lib Tech MC Nootka FM? Haven't seen much reviews on this board. Just one from thegoodride that seemed pretty incomplete/ biased dude to foot size.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I just pulled the trigger today on a Gnu Swallow Tail Carver 157. It met all my criteria of pointy nose and notch/fish/swallow tail, sintered base, and tapered directional with plenty of setback. Also on the short list was the Arbor Shreddy Krueger, Gnu Zoid and Space Out and Never Summer Swift. Found a deal I couldn't refuse so I ended up with this one....hope I made the right choice! Like you, I needed it to excel at pow float but also be agile in the trees and be able to carve on hardpack, which I think it will do.
Interested in that deck=== post some thoughts when you get out on it.

·
Registered
751 Posts
If you normally ride a 160, why do you want to go shorter with regular-sized boards? If you want shorter, for tree runs etc, then look at proper pow boards ie fish instead of the barracuda.

my suggestion is a 62 speedodeeps or 59 lib round nose fish. 62 La Nina would be good too. How about a K2 Cool Bean?

·
Registered
833 Posts
You can downsize on the 'Cuda and the new shape this year is much better than the original profile (which I also liked and owned). I've only had my new one out maybe 5 times so far but it is sweet in powder and great on tracked-out groomers and hardpack. I'm surprised how much I like it...surfy with good stability.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you normally ride a 160, why do you want to go shorter with regular-sized boards? If you want shorter, for tree runs etc, then look at proper pow boards ie fish instead of the barracuda.

my suggestion is a 62 speedodeeps or 59 lib round nose fish. 62 La Nina would be good too. How about a K2 Cool Bean?
The reason I am looking for a shorter board is because I want something easier to handle in soft snow and deep powder, I also wouldn't mind something different and a little more playful then then my Jamie Lynn. Are all of the boards I listed powder oriented?

The 59 round nose seems pretty close to the GNU swallowtail in shape and spec. The MC nootka on the other hand is tapered and has a mild set back (.5) i think.

Haven't done much research on the K2, but I will def look at it! I would like something not too drastically different from C3 profile, I tried a c2 Trice and didn't like the feel all that well. It didn't feel very secure at high speeds and carving (Grew up riding camber!).

·
Registered
751 Posts
Basically anything out there will handle easier in soft snow and powder. I don't enjoy riding JL's at all. I do love the art though.

Sticking with C3 for a powder board won't be as good as going with something with some rocker. I think that if you found the Trice sketchy at speed, you need to give it a few more days to get used it.
re: the cuda, if I were you I'd be looking at the 61 rather than the 57.

·
Registered
9,225 Posts
Flow Darwin. The shape floats like a boat and then you camber when you need the power and stability. Right now it's my favorite pow deck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts