Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Diving in to directional boards after riding true twins almost exclusively for years. The current version of Custom/CustomX has 12.5mm of setback. Does this mean the reference stance is placed back from being centered with sidecut?

Honestly, not something that's ever really crossed my mind before. I tried searching for an answer and can't find a clear answer either way about reference vs centered stances in general. Some conflicting information actually so hopefully someone can offer a definitive answer on the subject.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Please don't dive into the world of directional boards with a Custom or Custom X 🤦🏻‍♂️

That's like experimenting with spice for the first time by adding some fresh ground black pepper to a meal.

Get a DC Supernatant, Niche Maelstrom, Nitro Fusion, Rome Blur, Burton Hometown Hero, Ride Berzerker.

Something with a bit of setback and taper. You will not feel the 12.5mm setback on a Custom or Custom X. Please, try something that is actually directional.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks snowdaddy

Phedder - I hear what you're saying since the only thing directional on the Custom is shape - longer nose than tail (flex is symmetrical, no taper). Hence, Burton calls it a directional twin. That said moving bindings forward 12.5mm from reference centers up with sidecut like a true twin.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Same thing we all want, the holy grail one board quiver
:cool:
Then I'd take any of those I listed over a Custom or Custom X. A bit of setback and taper is your friend, and like Snow Hound said, it's really not hard to ride those boards switch if you're competent at switch.

Now if you're an actual park rat and legitimately spend 50% or more of your day in there, then yeah Custom is a good option for sure. Just be honest with yourself about how often you actually need optimal switch performance, or if good enough will cover it. I know I'm not charging down double blacks switch, but I'll comfortably pick my way down a regular black switch on any of those, and then charge the double black riding regular. As earlier, a bit of set back and taper really helps there.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Same thing we all want, the holy grail one board quiver
:cool:
I'm not sure many of us on here have a one board quiver. I've got several boards, and they're all directional. There's performance gains to be found in taper and setback. If I did have a holy grail one board quiver, it would be very directional. I really like having a quiver though. No board is ideal in all conditions and demands. Ducks can fly, walk and swim but they kinda suck at all three.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts