Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I've an 2012 Burton Clash 151 and i would like to tune my edges but i have bought a Dakine edge tuner that has only 88 and 90º angle, burton said that my board as a 89º side and base...
What can i do?
Can i use the 88º angle on the side edge or is better to buy another tuner to keep the factory angle?

Thks

·
Premium Member
2,957 Posts
Edges don't have to stay at what the factory puts them out as. I'd just stick with the 90º unless you ride on a lot of ice and then I'd suggest 88º for the side edge for better grip. A sharp 90/90 is good enough for most conditions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Edges don't have to stay at what the factory puts them out as. I'd just stick with the 90º unless you ride on a lot of ice and then I'd suggest 88º for the side edge for better grip. A sharp 90/90 is good enough for most conditions.
The only problem with the 90º side edge is that my board as an 1º in the base edge, so it will not be 90º between edges, something like 91º ?!?

·
Premium Member
2,957 Posts
The only problem with the 90º side edge is that my board as an 1º in the base edge, so it will not be 90º between edges, something like 91º ?!?
Wrong direction. You'll have 89º total angle.

·
Premium Member
2,957 Posts
I think 92 total is correct as of right now, but just use the 88 on the sidewall, since you will still sharpen the same edge. Can just drag the ceramic over the bottom edge if you get any dings on it.
...No. You can't add material to the edge, you're never getting it over 90º

If the base has had 1º taken off it from factory, and he sharpens the side edge to a 90º angle, what's 90-1=?

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Nvm, OP had it right, will be 91 with a 90 side, but also your first post was spot on and its currently 90. I tend to file them the other way so its 92 and it still works.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Wrong direction. You'll have 89º total angle.
Erm, no if you have a 1 degree base edge bevel and you file the side to be 90 degrees to the base, the total angle is 90 plus 1=91 degrees.
You start with 90degrees and add the base bevel and subtract the side bevel for the total edge angle.

In the case of the standard Burton 1 degree base and 1 degree side: 90 + 1 (base) - 1 (side) = 90 degrees
If you file away the side bevel to get the side edge 90 degrees to the base: 90 +1 (base) -0 (side) = 91 degrees

...No. You can't add material to the edge, you're never getting it over 90º

If the base has had 1º taken off it from factory, and he sharpens the side edge to a 90º angle, what's 90-1=?
Sure you can get over 90 degrees - any combination of a 'square' side edge and some base edge bevel will give you >90 degrees. And you are removing material (from the side edge) to get there, not adding it (which is obviously impossible).

·
Premium Member
2,957 Posts
Erm, no if you have a 1 degree base edge bevel and you file the side to be 90 degrees to the base, the total angle is 90 plus 1=91 degrees.
You start with 90degrees and add the base bevel and subtract the side bevel for the total edge angle.

In the case of the standard Burton 1 degree base and 1 degree side: 90 + 1 (base) - 1 (side) = 90 degrees
If you file away the side bevel to get the side edge 90 degrees to the base: 90 +1 (base) -0 (side) = 91 degrees

Sure you can get over 90 degrees - any combination of a 'square' side edge and some base edge bevel will give you >90 degrees. And you are removing material (from the side edge) to get there, not adding it (which is obviously impossible).

Since when do you run any hand tool solely along the metal edge? You don't, you run the tool along the snowboards base for support, shaving off side edge material. The base should always be flat. So even if the base edge is beveled, that's not going to change the angle that you're tuning your side edge to. A 90 degree side edging tool is going to leave your side edge at 90 degrees from the snowboards base, always. Not from the base edge. If you have a 1 degree bevel on your base edge, then that's cutting 1 degree into the 90 degrees you have on the side edge, making 89 degrees total.

I swear I'm not talking crazy here, am I? This makes perfect sense to me.

·
Premium Member
2,957 Posts
:rofl4: Nevermind, played around in MS paint and I'm clearly sleep deprived. With a 1 degree base bevel you'd need an 89 degree side edge to keep it at 90 degrees total.

Boss fucked off to Maui and I'm at the end of a 70 hour work week. Finally riding tomorrow should re-set everything :grin:

Reactions: mauzao
1 - 9 of 9 Posts