Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, it's that time of year and i'm looking for a new board. This will actually be for splitboarding in the Wasatch and some of the tetons. I want something really turny and playful, but can handle pow as well. Looking at the Dump Truck and Hovy. Any other recommendations?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Has anyone tried Dump Truck split yet?

I am interested to know as well. Eyeing on Dump Truck/Landlord/Rossignol XV/Hovercraft, would be nice if someone can share their thoughts.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Really? I always thought the hovy was supposed to be really maneuverable, since they advertise it for being great in tight trees...

I currently have a rossignol xv split at 163W. It's only 1 season old, but it feels way too aggressive to me. Whenever I get in tight more technical areas, it is very difficult to move around and turn. Maybe that's due to the crazy flex pattern of having 11-10-9 from nose to tail respectively.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One thing I should probably add is that my definition of playful might be different than others. I come from a skateboard racing background 60+mph on pavement. The boards are very stiff, but yet still very agile, can carve around and make quick movements. So i'm not really saying I want a park style playful where it's super flexy. I just want a board that can charge hard, but I can easily flow edge to edge and change direction on a dime.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Well I don't think anyone would really call the Hover turny and playful. So I guess Dump Truck.
Disagree. The guy is looking more for freeride-type splitboards. By those standards a Hovercraft is pretty turn happy.

Really? I always thought the hovy was supposed to be really maneuverable, since they advertise it for being great in tight trees...

I currently have a rossignol xv split at 163W. It's only 1 season old, but it feels way too aggressive to me. Whenever I get in tight more technical areas, it is very difficult to move around and turn. Maybe that's due to the crazy flex pattern of having 11-10-9 from nose to tail respectively.
One thing I should probably add is that my definition of playful might be different than others. I come from a skateboard racing background 60+mph on pavement. The boards are very stiff, but yet still very agile, can carve around and make quick movements. So i'm not really saying I want a park style playful where it's super flexy. I just want a board that can charge hard, but I can easily flow edge to edge and change direction on a dime.
Big difference between making quick, tight radius turns on the edge and skidded turns/swiveling the board/pushing the tail around. You can do the latter with the Hovercraft, somewhat less the first because of the waist width and sidecut.
And tree riding can mean anything from charging through some widely spaced big trees to picking your way through dense forrest and underbrush. From steep to mellow and powdery to firm.

Based on what you are describing probably the Hovercraft, especially if most of your riding is at speed with wider turns etc. Dump Truck if you spend a lot of time in the tight stuff.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Disagree. The guy is looking more for freeride-type splitboards. By those standards a Hovercraft is pretty turn happy.

Big difference between making quick, tight radius turns on the edge and skidded turns/swiveling the board/pushing the tail around. You can do the latter with the Hovercraft, somewhat less the first because of the waist width and sidecut.
And tree riding can mean anything from charging through some widely spaced big trees to picking your way through dense forrest and underbrush. From steep to mellow and powdery to firm.

Based on what you are describing probably the Hovercraft, especially if most of your riding is at speed with wider turns etc. Dump Truck if you spend a lot of time in the tight stuff.
Good point! I like speed, but being able to slash around with it. Basically my issue with my current split is that it would take a huge amount of energy to just kick the tail out. So I want something that will allow me to thrash the tail back and forth without feeling like im stuck and trying to break it lose. My resort board is a NS Snowtrooper 160 Wide, and I love the feeling of it. A little stiff, but still lets me whip it around how I like.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts