Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys!

I just got into tuning the edges on my Snowboard.
I bought the TOKO Edge Tuner. I did check the factory side edge angle from Burton (89°), set the edge tuner to 89° and went for it.
After tuning i read that the Board comes with a base edge of 1°.
Thats where i got a bit confused now: should I set my edge tuner to 88° to maintain the factory side edge of 89°?
Or does the base edge not matter, because the side edge is relative to the base of the board and the tuner sits on the base of the board anyway?
I hope i could make myself clear. As i'm not a native speaker I hope it's not too confusing.
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
You can find the angle of the side bevel with that adjustable tool and a sharpie. You blacken a section of the edge so you can see what the tool is taking off. Start at 90, and adjust down until the tool removes the sharpie from the whole edge.

Base bevel is something different and needs a different tool. Usually for base edges I'll just run a file flat against the base. You can introduce angle by wrapping the end of the file with tape until it raises the file the amount you need. Bevels on the base are more for park riding. I generally leave my all mountain boards with a flat base angle.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Factory base bevel or side edge angle is different from company to company but a 1/1 or 1/89 would be very standard. Dont over think it unless your trying to change how your board rides. Just set the side edge to 89 if thats what your board is and sharpen away

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
You need to get diamond stones to do the edges more than the ToKo chrome file that comes with the side edge tool. The edge Tuner pro works a lot better as the 4x rollers make it slip across the base really effortlessly. You only file when you're cleaning up a really destroyed edge to remove sharp burrs/cuts in metal. You can buy a 5 set pack of diamond stones (100,200,400,600,1500). Make sure you buy decent files (Swix, Diaface) as the cheap ones are really junk. You could get away with just 100, 200, 400 as the lower grits really just polish the edge up. Make sure you use lightly soapy water keeping the stones well lubricated when doing the edges which will protect the stones and assist with removing debris out of the cutting surfaces. You can get 70mm or 100mm length stones.

I use the base bevel more so than the side edge. I have a variety of ToKo professional base bevel tools but the SKS adjustable bevel is is the one I love and use the most (all the time).

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Holy sheet. 200 bucks for diamond stones just to keep the edges sharp?! Holy wow.
This is $Au and these are 100mm. They don't sell these retail in Australia so you have to buy them from USA.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
You need to get diamond stones to do the edges more than the ToKo chrome file that comes with the side edge tool. The edge Tuner pro works a lot better as the 4x rollers make it slip across the base really effortlessly. You only file when you're cleaning up a really destroyed edge to remove sharp burrs/cuts in metal. You can buy a 5 set pack of diamond stones (100,200,400,600,1500). Make sure you buy decent files (Swix, Diaface) as the cheap ones are really junk. You could get away with just 100, 200, 400 as the lower grits really just polish the edge up. Make sure you use lightly soapy water keeping the stones well lubricated when doing the edges which will protect the stones and assist with removing debris out of the cutting surfaces. You can get 70mm or 100mm length stones.

I use the base bevel more so than the side edge. I have a variety of ToKo professional base bevel tools but the SKS adjustable bevel is is the one I love and use the most (all the time).

Assuming you can fit diamond stones in the SKS tool too?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,372 Posts

I try to keep my edges polished frequently. It’s part of my waxing routine. If one were to simplify the diamond stone edge tune, which would be the ONE stone to use?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Ugh. I need to order diamond and gummy stones now. I just use a file and give a couple of quick light passes and call it good enough... but I should do this more frequently and I don't want to take too much edge off too quickly.
That was me before this thread lmao, got a shop to tune my edges, realized that they added too much side edge angle, so now I'm gonna take it in and request a specific tune, and maintain it with some diamond files.

·
Registered
Burton Process & Malavita
1 Posts
Hey Guys!

I just got into tuning the edges on my Snowboard.
I bought the TOKO Edge Tuner. I did check the factory side edge angle from Burton (89°), set the edge tuner to 89° and went for it.
After tuning i read that the Board comes with a base edge of 1°.
Thats where i got a bit confused now: should I set my edge tuner to 88° to maintain the factory side edge of 89°?
Or does the base edge not matter, because the side edge is relative to the base of the board and the tuner sits on the base of the board anyway?
I hope i could make myself clear. As i'm not a native speaker I hope it's not too confusing.
Thanks in advance!

View attachment 156715
As far as I know, if the side edge is 89° and the base edge is 1° then your effective edge will be 90°. If you want to maintain this effective edge of 90° then set your tuner to 89°.
If you want to make your side edge a little bit more aggressive then start setting the tuner to 88° for an effective edge of 89° (you always have to add 1° because of the 1° on the base edge).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts