Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rider: 5'11 185 lbs - Size 10 Nike Zoom Force 1 - Burton Missions

Well, I decided to demo this board to see what the hype was about. The conditions were nice. Powder the first day, blue bird days the rest of the way with temps in the upper 30s.

This board is stiff. A good stiff even flex throughout the board, with plenty of stiffness in the tail. Torsionally, there is a little bit of flex, but it's still pretty damn stiff.

Performance - This board hauls ass. I always wondered if S-rocker would cause too much chatter at speed, or effect the ride in any way on the groomers and it doesn't. The board is very damp as well, so throw any condition at it and the board will eat it up. It likes to go fast, you can lay a trench, and the float is real. If you hit powder, this board will perform. I was skeptical about how close this thing could be to a hybrid of a Custom X and a powder board, but it did the job.

Now for the negatives. Mueller designed this thing for Mueller. This board is work to flex, so understand that for even advanced rider like myself, getting this thing in and out of tight trees, making quick sharp cuts, etc, are not going to be easy unless you have sized this board down some. This rides true to board length, maybe a bit longer. Point being, without much torsional give, this thing is a long drawn out carver, that lives to turn at high speeds, but isn't an agile board by any means.

Overall thoughts. For my riding style, and what I wanted this board for, which includes bombing morning groomers, powder, hitting the trees, popping off anything natural, and getting some play, this wouldn't be my daily driver. I think this board is for the resort bomber that is looking to hit pow when it dumps, but doesn't care much about any playfulness. This board isn't a tree runner. Way too stiff torsionally. I liked it, but would find myself only taking the board out on specific days.

Now for the board I was looking for, check out my review I'm adding on the Capita BSOD.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Rider: 5'11 185 lbs - Size 10 Nike Zoom Force 1 - Burton Missions

Well, I decided to demo this board to see what the hype was about. The conditions were nice. Powder the first day, blue bird days the rest of the way with temps in the upper 30s.

This board is stiff. A good stiff even flex throughout the board, with plenty of stiffness in the tail. Torsionally, there is a little bit of flex, but it's still pretty damn stiff.

Performance - This board hauls ass. I always wondered if S-rocker would cause too much chatter at speed, or effect the ride in any way on the groomers and it doesn't. The board is very damp as well, so throw any condition at it and the board will eat it up. It likes to go fast, you can lay a trench, and the float is real. If you hit powder, this board will perform. I was skeptical about how close this thing could be to a hybrid of a Custom X and a powder board, but it did the job.

Now for the negatives. Mueller designed this thing for Mueller. This board is work to flex, so understand that for even advanced rider like myself, getting this thing in and out of tight trees, making quick sharp cuts, etc, are not going to be easy unless you have sized this board down some. This rides true to board length, maybe a bit longer. Point being, without much torsional give, this thing is a long drawn out carver, that lives to turn at high speeds, but isn't an agile board by any means.

Overall thoughts. For my riding style, and what I wanted this board for, which includes bombing morning groomers, powder, hitting the trees, popping off anything natural, and getting some play, this wouldn't be my daily driver. I think this board is for the resort bomber that is looking to hit pow when it dumps, but doesn't care much about any playfulness. This board isn't a tree runner. Way too stiff torsionally. I liked it, but would find myself only taking the board out on specific days.

Now for the board I was looking for, check out my review I'm adding on the Capita BSOD.
Good review, thanks.

·
Registered
441 Posts
This board is work to flex, so understand that for even advanced rider like myself, getting this thing in and out of tight trees, making quick sharp cuts, etc, are not going to be easy unless you have sized this board down some. This rides true to board length, maybe a bit longer. Point being, without much torsional give, this thing is a long drawn out carver, that lives to turn at high speeds, but isn't an agile board by any means.
This portion sounds like a Positive to me lol. But I don't do much trees. I just like to fly down the trails. Groomed, bumpy, whatever. Sort of like a Custom X but a bit more powder oriented so that I don't have to do the binding setback thing if I encounter some good powder

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a great board. I didn't have many complaints at all. It was just a little stiff to be an everyday driver for me.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Great review, thanks for sharing.

For me I'll be going from a 158 Flagship to 156 Flight Attendant, which I fully expect will be much more agile in the trees. Anyone with first hand experience please chime in.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great review, thanks for sharing.

For me I'll be going from a 158 Flagship to 156 Flight Attendant, which I fully expect will be much more agile in the trees. Anyone with first hand experience please chime in.

Are you selling the Flagship? If you are keeping it, get a much softer board for the trees. An Arbor Coda could be a great start. The '56 BSOD would be great as well. There are many other boards.

Sizing down won't change the agility of the FA. The board is built to turn at speed, which means it is built torsionally to be stiff. Sizing down 3 cms will still leave you lacking in tight spaces at slower speeds.

·
Registered
201 Posts
FS is gone, replaced by FA - still factory fresh.

Similar riding style to you but more weighted to groomers (80%) than tree runs (20%) and pow of course when its available. FA intended as a resort board (on piste) for my trips out west. Already have an east coast daily driver (Lib TRS).

FS is a great board for big lines but a beast to turn in the trees.

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
You could definitely add lots more torsional give with a stiffer binding.

I've ridden Missions a bunch and they're not very torsionally responsive. Excellent on deeper snow and floaty boards, but on a stiff-ish board with plenty camber....... i'd personally look for a stiffer baseplate unless it's only for pow.

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
I have not experienced it being "overly" stiff. It's rated at a 7 and to me it feels like a 7. It's solid and extremely responsive in the trees, which is where I primarily ride it. Even on a wet dense grabby day, I had to trouble with responsiveness in extremely tight areas. I ride with cartel est bindings and they're perfectly matched to give you a connected feeling to the board. It rides with no restrictions for me.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have not experienced it being "overly" stiff. It's rated at a 7 and to me it feels like a 7. It's solid and extremely responsive in the trees, which is where I primarily ride it. Even on a wet dense day grabby day, I had to trouble with responsiveness in extremely tight areas. I ride with cartel est bindings and they're perfectly matched to give you a connected feeling to the board. It rides with no restrictions for me.
Maybe part of it was coming off the Capita. That can always add to that feeling. Might also be because my previous daily driver was a T Rice, which had rocker between the bindings.

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
Maybe part of it was coming off the Capita. That can always add to that feeling. Might also be because my previous daily driver was a T Rice, which had rocker between the bindings.
I would suggest if it's in the budget, get some cartels on that baby.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I think, some people got an "overbuilt" board if that's even possible. My FA feels stiff too. First day on it, I would rate it a 9/10 for flex, almost ready to sell it. I have 5 days on it now and it's still stiff but managable and becoming enjoyable. I would still give it about 7.5-8/10 for flex. Mine is a 156. Torsionally it has a bit more give. Longitudinally it's plenty stiff, especially the tail (really stiff).

This is totally different than the 159 I demoed last year which felt more like a 6.5-7 on the flex which is weird considering it's longer.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I promise you, the FA is a beast in the trees as well. But if you're bringing your TRS, that will be fine.
I prefer a stiff, camber board but I expect the FA will be softer than the Flagship. Debated 159 vs 156 but decided to go short for more agility, even if only slightly more I need it in the glades.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I'm debating whether to get the 156 or 159. I'm 6'1, 165 lbs with size 11 but 10 boot imprint.
Had exactly the same issue as you do with almost the same measures.
My purpose is really free ride and pow stuff.

I bought the 156, got home, took a look at the board comparing it to my Custom 158 and realized that the width on the 156 is really narrow. With a boot size 10, that is my boot, it would be a mistake to keep it.
So I went to Burton and changed for a 159.

For freeride, the problem is really the boot size. With my and your size, the 156 leaves a lot of boot out. If you see on the specs, the 156 only supports M bindings, and although i use an M binding, my boot is a size 10.

Buy the 159.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts