Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Just wondering what everyones thoughts are on a couple of pairs of bindings. Bought a Yes Typo at the end of last season and gonna start getting together a new set up for the 2019 season here in Aus. While there's sales on I thought it would be a good idea to have a look around.

I'm tossing up between the Burton Malavitas and the Now x Yes Collab bindings. Price isn't an issue as they both come in at the same price.

I've watched reviews of both and both seem pretty good, obviously different "selling points" for each. Burton are Burton, reliable etc but the reviews all were based on the EST set up which seems to have it's advantages over the RE set up. Now seem to have a pretty good reputation, they also have the "skate tech" technology which seems pretty nice and I guess kind of comparable to the EST setup with the way in which everything transfers through the bindings to the board.

If i had a Burton board with the channel system, hands down i'd be going for Burton Bindings. But as I won't be using the channel system on the YES. board I feel like the skate tech in the Now Binding kind of offers something more or is it just a sales gimmick?

Riding style is all Mountain, Like to do the fresh tracks and groomers in the morning, then hit the park once everything gets tracked out mid morning/arvo

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've become a die-hard Burton binding fan over the years esp the EST cartels ,,, they just do the job day in day out and just don't let you down on my 8th set (over 20yrs of boarding) also got a set of EST Genesis binding which I use when the conditions aren't too harsh aka blizzard-like conditions like up remarks today when I have found them in the past freezing up the rachets later in the day(might put some WD40 see if that helps the double rachets) ... so Cartels for me #1 binding

Also, the Canadian Endeavor snowboards run the burton channel ... well worth a look very well priced snowboards

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hey guys,

Just wondering what everyones thoughts are on a couple of pairs of bindings. Bought a Yes Typo at the end of last season and gonna start getting together a new set up for the 2019 season here in Aus. While there's sales on I thought it would be a good idea to have a look around.

I'm tossing up between the Burton Malavitas and the Now x Yes Collab bindings. Price isn't an issue as they both come in at the same price.

I've watched reviews of both and both seem pretty good, obviously different "selling points" for each. Burton are Burton, reliable etc but the reviews all were based on the EST set up which seems to have it's advantages over the RE set up. Now seem to have a pretty good reputation, they also have the "skate tech" technology which seems pretty nice and I guess kind of comparable to the EST setup with the way in which everything transfers through the bindings to the board.

If i had a Burton board with the channel system, hands down i'd be going for Burton Bindings. But as I won't be using the channel system on the YES. board I feel like the skate tech in the Now Binding kind of offers something more or is it just a sales gimmick?

Riding style is all Mountain, Like to do the fresh tracks and groomers in the morning, then hit the park once everything gets tracked out mid morning/arvo
I have a pair of Now IPO's that I haven't used for a while, as well as Burton 'Vita ReFlex and Cartel EST (And Salomon Hologram but haven't ridden them yet).

Firstly, Skate Tech is not a gimmick in my opinion - first day I rode my IPOs, I was hooking a deep right hand carve off Family Run towards Howqua chair (at the joke of a ski resort that is Mt Buller), and I was pretty blown away with the edge hold on my toe edge - my undersized Yes Greats was railing hard, WAY harder than I'd have been able to if I had put my Flux DS on it.

The bindings take no getting used to (they ride normal), yet there's a nice surfy feeling in there, good dampening when on edge, and yeah....

I bought all the bushes (soft-hard) as well as the low-backs, which make for good messing around on small hills / not-so-serious-riding on the groomed runs we have here.

The reason I don't use 'em anymore is because a toe ratchet broke, although I've since replaced the toe straps with Burton Gettagrips (Now toe straps never fit my boot right for some reason - we're talking 2x pairs of 32's and a pair of Salomons) - who knows, I might mount 'em up to something, this season.

The reason I got Burton is that I wanted bindings that I could keep for years, and walk into any store in the world and buy spare parts for, if I needed to.

My thoughts:
~ Now straps are good, but Burton are the best I've ever experienced (the moulded straps that is - you don't even notice that they're there, which means they're doing their job well IMO)
~ Now toe straps - the only way i could get em to work AVERAGELY was to flip em from left to right. If I were to get new Nows, I'd be budgeting for Gettagrip toe caps as well - that's just me
~ More surfy feeling with the Nows,
~ Burton spare parts falling out of the sky
~ I have 'Vitas AND Cartels - I personally feel that there's no need to justify the premium of the Malavita over the Cartel - the Cartel, to me, does everything that the Vita does, at a lower price. Also, if you break a ratchet, the ratchet on the Cartel is replaceable, whereas on the Vita it's integrated into the strap
~ If I could trade both my Malavitas and Cartels in for a new pair of Clutches, I would - EST is fantastic and I had to try it, but given my time again and my riding style, I'd go Clutches and just call it a day.

Hope that helps!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts