Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got on some Malavitas for the first time today and beyond impressed how nice they ride super smooth surf/skatey soft like butter yet enough power to drive carves…incredibly comfortable soft straps and the whole thing is just put together to work amazingly…Its hard for me to imagine why I would want to get on anything else for the rest of my snowboard life…who else feels the same?

·
Registered
19 Posts
They are very solid. I've had a pair for a while and not many complaints. I just wish I had the reflex version so I could try them on more of my boards.

My only small issue (that might just be in my head) - I don't love the dial FLADs on burtons. I think it does something weird with the highjack angle when you crank it up a bit.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
My boots don't fit in mine right. When I tail press/ollie/weight the tail the outside of my front foot lifts onto the edge of the baseplate and it's pretty uncomfortable. Nothing I've messed with to the point had solved it, might just be a bag boot and binding combo I guess. Otherwise I like them, though they're only part Malavita actually.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
86 Posts
OP do you have the Reflex or EST versions?

If they are the ESTs on a channel board, then I would 100% agree with you. The best board feel and so damn surfy with Malavita (more response with the Genesis, if that's what you're after). It really helps when paired with a lightly damped boot to get that feel (Burton EST sole, Adidas Samba). As soon as I rode it with something with a lot of cushion, like Adidas tactical, most of that board feel went away.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OP do you have the Reflex or EST versions?

If they are the ESTs on a channel board, then I would 100% agree with you. The best board feel and so damn surfy with Malavita (more response with the Genesis, if that's what you're after). It really helps when paired with a lightly damped boot to get that feel (Burton EST sole, Adidas Samba). As soon as I rode it with something with a lot of cushion, like Adidas tactical, most of that board feel went away.
I have reflex…est looks amazing but I like to have multiple boards…will definetly get est if I get a burton board at some point…I ride them with Lasso Pro which are 7/8 stiff and still get the smooth surf feel with nice carving.

·
Registered
6,187 Posts
Just got on some Malavitas for the first time today and beyond impressed how nice they ride super smooth surf/skatey soft like butter yet enough power to drive carves…incredibly comfortable soft straps and the whole thing is just put together to work amazingly…Its hard for me to imagine why I would want to get on anything else for the rest of my snowboard life…who else feels the same?
Cartel (X) are better.

More responsive. Feel equally smooth/"surfy" and equally comfy. Cheaper.

Only downside is they don't have double buckles...

Oh.. and Genesis are also better. Better response. Feel even smoother/"surfy". More comfortable and do have double buckles. But more expensive.

Sent from my Samsung using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,076 Posts
Had some, don't anymore
Had some Cartels, don't anymore
Had some Clutches, don't anymore
Had some Genesis, don't anymore

Have some DOD's, not getting rid of those
Have some Lien AT's, not getting rid of those
Have some Holograms, might keep those, really needs some toe straps/ladders/adjusters though. My gound down burton parts scare me.

I have legitimately seen the Reflex versions put holes in topsheets with that heel point. It is literally a board breaker. And has been for like 10 years. I DO NOT understand it. I basically refuse to sell Burton to anyone on an Arbor, DC, Jones, or anyone else using a wood topsheet. They will get damaged by that heel wingpoint.

·
Registered
10,076 Posts
I heard that was a known issue but that they had since resoved it on new models.
Not a chance. They even changed the frame design, and KEPT this ridiculous thing on there. They've been using that shape for decades, but the issues really started with reflex since you're putting way more pressure out there since the whole binding flexes underfoot.

Reactions: Triple8Sol

·
Premium Member
3,709 Posts
I have legitimately seen the Reflex versions put holes in topsheets with that heel point. It is literally a board breaker. And has been for like 10 years. I DO NOT understand it. I basically refuse to sell Burton to anyone on an Arbor, DC, Jones, or anyone else using a wood topsheet. They will get damaged by that heel wingpoint.
Yep. Cartel X put a big ol dent in the topsheet of my Dancehaul, and a buddy riding Malavitas broke his Dancehaul with a tail heavy landing. Crack was directly behind the rear binding.

Reactions: Triple8Sol

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
I have a set. Super comfy playful bindings. Not sure if it’s just my inept self or does anyone else have problems feeding the ratchet strap through the right tract?

I don't like the double takes for this reason. I think it's a PITA at times. Also harder to find replacement straps. I sold my last set of malas. Have 2 sets of cartel x's and a set of flux XF's to try out. Almost got a set of the FLUX CVs and might have if I still had my koruas. A different forum member picked them up and I'm super curious to see what he thinks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are the cartel x much different then older gen cartel before they Split it up…I have cartels and they are great but find the malavita just another level of refinment.
Cartel X's are miles better than the previous 2-3 gens of cartels. I've ridden them all. Also ridden mala reflex and EST. Won't be going back to malas.

Cartel (X) are better.

More responsive. Feel equally smooth/"surfy" and equally comfy. Cheaper.

Only downside is they don't have double buckles...

Oh.. and Genesis are also better. Better response. Feel even smoother/"surfy". More comfortable and do have double buckles. But more expensive.

I don't like the dub bucks!

Yep. Cartel X put a big ol dent in the topsheet of my Dancehaul, and a buddy riding Malavitas broke his Dancehaul with a tail heavy landing. Crack was directly behind the rear binding.
Wait... I though that this was only a mala problem!?

·
Registered
6,187 Posts
If it's a Malavita Reflex issue, it's an issue with ALL the Reflex bases as they are pretty much the same shape.

I have one pair of Reflex Genesis. Also had other Reflex before... plus a few ppl I know have other Reflex bindings.... no issues. Most of my bindings now are EST but Ive never had an issue w Reflex other than I couldn't center my boots on L Reflex Cartels. I can with L EST

Anyways... Malavitas are too soft.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts