Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
theyre good, probably a little soft for some, I had 3 sets once lol, saying all that, my Nows with burton straps is better:p
Tell me more...I'm a fully converted NOW bitch, but the straps on my pilots leave a bit to be desired.

My vita straps and ladders didn't fit, if I remember correctly.

About to send an email off to Now and see if I can cop some Select Pro straps, they seem a lot better.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I love the Malavita's. Super comfy and decent response. I'm a bigger, aggressive riding and the only board I'd ever cracked due to the the binding wings was a Burton ironically. And it was the older P1 bindings that had the huge wings. I have 5 sets of reflex bindings now. Cartel, Malavita x2, Genesis, and now Cartel X. Loving the Cartel X but the Malavita asymmetrical ankle strap is even more comfortable. The Cartel X is a stiffer more responsive binging. If you like Burton boots then they fit like a glove with Burton bindings. I just tried to buy a pair of Union Atlas bindings and couldn't get the heel to stay down. Really wanted to love them but had all sorts of lift that couldn't be sorted. They just didn't fit the boot. That's how I ended up with the Cartel X. I do like the new heel hammock situation in the Cartel X. Finally something that is low profile and still works. Running reflex you don't have much for and aft adjustment and with the size boot I have sometimes the heel hammock takes up room I can't afford. After multiple broken Burton boards I walked away. Tried a few other things but ended up with Never Summer. None of them have dents in the top. I have a couple with over 100 days on them and they still almost look like new. Things are almost indestructible and the top sheet materials are durable and scratch resistant. +1 for most all of the Reflex bindings. The Malavita's are probably my favorite from a comfort standpoint but the new Cartel X is right up there with them.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Just swapped the highbacks from one binding to the other on my vitas, b/c I have a pair of Acerras with dbl Boas that I want to start riding soon, and the side dial would be in the way. I'm riding them on an Endeavor BOD 154 and they're working like a charm. But I'm curious if the vitas will go well on a way stiffer, slightly wider One Hitter that I'm about to receive in the mail, or would I be better off with a stiffer Cartel reflex?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I had to do the same to my wingbacks, I mounted malas on my overboard last week, it's a good ride but could prob go with something stiffer since the board is so big, but it's fine for carving and cruising
Sports equipment Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood

·
Registered
6,187 Posts
Tell me more...I'm a fully converted NOW bitch, but the straps on my pilots leave a bit to be desired.

My vita straps and ladders didn't fit, if I remember correctly.

About to send an email off to Now and see if I can cop some Select Pro straps, they seem a lot better.
Oh you're missing out.
They're AWESOME with Burton ankle straps...

My Pilots are full-on converts:
Plant Houseplant Flowerpot Wood Bag

Sent from my Samsung using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,110 Posts
Mr. Davey Which Rome would you compare to a vita?
There's really not a direct comparison, metal heel loop has a different feel to it and they'll never have that squishy feel that Malavitas do.

Price-wise you're in the Katana ballpark and I'd say the Katana is just a much better binding overall, unless you don't like metal bindings. The Vice is a cheaper option than the Vita and a bit more freestyle focused than the Katana so that's probably the closest.

Don't get me wrong, I loved my Malavitas as a freestyle binding, but they couldn't handle wider or stiffer boards and they'd dent my softer/smaller freestyle boards. I think it's a 6'3" 200lb with US10 boots thing more than a binding defect - I was at the top end of the size range for a Medium Vita and consistently overpowered it. My biggest gripe was the very flexible re-flex disc. I could bend that and the plastic binding base like it was a noodle, even in my living room. I'm sure some people like that but it didn't work for me.

For the smaller 160lb freestyle rider? Vitas are great.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
i have mission and clutch bases on my reflex bindings, never put a dent in anything, but im generally not that hard on the equipment. i feel like the genesis could have, but that highback is so soft itd probably break before that happened. nothing quite matches vita straps. i did break two boards with a k2 formula binding though, but both were rossis, so who knows

·
Premium Member
2,110 Posts
You'll feel the difference with a metal binding almost immediately.

With most plastic bindings (I'll exclude Now bindings because they work a lot differently) the base deforms quite a bit as you pressure it. It's particularly apparent with Reflex bindings which have this flex designed into them. Some people really like that feel because it feels "smooth," as you have less response at first and then the more you pressure it, the more you hit the limit of where the plastic will bend and the board turns.

On stiff boards, however, you can bend that plastic quite a bit before you turn, and the response can feel really sluggish. When I owned Vitas, I loved them on my Space Case which was a very easy to turn, softer freestyle board. Put them on a TRice Pro though and it was tough to turn. If you put Union TRice Pro bindings on that board which had a very stiff baseplate and metal heel loop, the board came alive.

Metal hardly bends at all so it has an immediate response, and if you want to flex a board torsionally it's going to be much easier. If you want to bend a board to your will, metal feels way better. If you want to ride on top of the board, plastic is gonna be the call. And there are plenty of bindings that are loose and flexy (Most Burton, Salomon ShadowFit, the K2 with the pods on the bottom) designed for that.

Now bindings are the exception to this rule for me because they just don't bend a whole lot due to the design. Now Drives ride like metal bindings to me - you get that immediate response.

I like putting really responsive bindings even on park boards - it's twitchy but I like that precision. I'm not as much of a fan of putting softer bindings on stiff boards. After riding very responsive setups for years that just feels really sluggish to me.

·
Registered
31 Posts
You'll feel the difference with a metal binding almost immediately.

With most plastic bindings (I'll exclude Now bindings because they work a lot differently) the base deforms quite a bit as you pressure it. It's particularly apparent with Reflex bindings which have this flex designed into them. Some people really like that feel because it feels "smooth," as you have less response at first and then the more you pressure it, the more you hit the limit of where the plastic will bend and the board turns.

On stiff boards, however, you can bend that plastic quite a bit before you turn, and the response can feel really sluggish. When I owned Vitas, I loved them on my Space Case which was a very easy to turn, softer freestyle board. Put them on a TRice Pro though and it was tough to turn. If you put Union TRice Pro bindings on that board which had a very stiff baseplate and metal heel loop, the board came alive.

Metal hardly bends at all so it has an immediate response, and if you want to flex a board torsionally it's going to be much easier. If you want to bend a board to your will, metal feels way better. If you want to ride on top of the board, plastic is gonna be the call. And there are plenty of bindings that are loose and flexy (Most Buront, Salomon ShadowFit, the K2 with the pods on the bottom) designed for that.

Now bindings are the exception to this rule for me because they just don't bend a whole lot due to the design. Now Drives ride like metal bindings to me - you get that immediate response.

I like putting really responsive bindings even on park boards - it's twitchy but I like that precision. I'm not as much of a fan of putting softer bindings on stiff boards. After riding very responsive setups for years that just feels really sluggish to me.
You sure you're mounting re-flex plates the right direction? They don't inherently have any less response fore/aft, that's all up to the straps/highback. Lateral play doesn't tend to make a board harder to turn, it just gives you more flexibility towards the nose and tail.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Oh you're missing out.
They're AWESOME with Burton ankle straps...

My Pilots are full-on converts: View attachment 161412

I'll have to have another look this weekend, i've got a set of vitas to cannibalize. Did you just file down the straps and ladders to fit in the pocket? Are those Genesis straps? I imagine they're a bit stiffer, looks like burton has some in stock...

·
Registered
6,187 Posts
There's really not a direct comparison, metal heel loop has a different feel to it and they'll never have that squishy feel that Malavitas do.

Price-wise you're in the Katana ballpark and I'd say the Katana is just a much better binding overall, unless you don't like metal bindings. The Vice is a cheaper option than the Vita and a bit more freestyle focused than the Katana so that's probably the closest.

Don't get me wrong, I loved my Malavitas as a freestyle binding, but they couldn't handle wider or stiffer boards and they'd dent my softer/smaller freestyle boards. I think it's a 6'3" 200lb with US10 boots thing more than a binding defect - I was at the top end of the size range for a Medium Vita and consistently overpowered it. My biggest gripe was the very flexible re-flex disc. I could bend that and the plastic binding base like it was a noodle, even in my living room. I'm sure some people like that but it didn't work for me.

For the smaller 160lb freestyle rider? Vitas are great.
Yeah maybe. Lots of bigger guys on small boots and M bindings, plus small park boards or soft top sheets, etc.

But I'm only 160 lbs, at 6ft and US10.5 boots. Which lets me go with L bindings... also don't have any noodle-ish boards. I have had a few reflex bindings and have never dented a topsheet. My softest board is a B Process Flying V... 157W and maybe the 152 Panhandler which are kinda soft, but not noodles. I've used Genesis reflex on both of them, and there is NO WAY i would dent the top sheets. They have a sturdy top sheet. Maybe if I was sending L+ jumps and messing up the landing... but I've already said farewell to those sendful ideas.

Although my boards look far worse than what the Snowboard Trader guys call a 7/10 after only 2 days of riding lol but at least I don't break them.

And yes... Malavita definitely flex before the board gets moving. Metal bindings are far quicker. But it's definitely a preference thing. I prefer a smoother ride, but with some power... Malavitas are too soft.

·
Premium Member
2,110 Posts
You sure you're mounting re-flex plates the right direction? They don't inherently have any less response fore/aft, that's all up to the straps/highback. Lateral play doesn't tend to make a board harder to turn, it just gives you more flexibility towards the nose and tail.
I'm damn sure, because you could only mount them one way :)

41 - 60 of 79 Posts