Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
6,187 Posts
I'll have to have another look this weekend, i've got a set of vitas to cannibalize. Did you just file down the straps and ladders to fit in the pocket? Are those Genesis straps? I imagine they're a bit stiffer, looks like burton has some in stock...
Yeah Genesis ankle straps. I like them best because they have a soft plastic but are really wide; so they have really good response with a soft feel. The ankle straps and ladder fit straight with no need to modify anything.

Toe straps need some tweaking, but not much.

Sent from my Samsung using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,076 Posts
You sure you're mounting re-flex plates the right direction? They don't inherently have any less response fore/aft, that's all up to the straps/highback. Lateral play doesn't tend to make a board harder to turn, it just gives you more flexibility towards the nose and tail.
Proper turning on anything stiffer and camber dominant means you have to drive your contact points. So that lateral flex comes into play.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Yeah Genesis ankle straps. I like them best because they have a soft plastic but are really wide; so they have really good response with a soft feel. The ankle straps and ladder fit straight with no need to modify anything.

Toe straps need some tweaking, but not much.

the burton ladders on ankle and toe went right on the nows with no mods

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ah yes I remember now. Burton has 2 types of toe ladders: EST and Reflex. One of them fits straight but the other needs a little cutting.

May I present the Pile-O-Vita!

Toe ladders won't fit without cutting the baseplate, the helical ladder teeth have no chance of fitting, but the toe ratchets use a 95% identical mounting pattern. Only issue is a the toe ratchet mounting screw rubbing on the ladder, but I should be able to find a proper countersunk screw at work or Home Depot tomorrow.

Just hope the straps aren't too mushy for the Pilots! Not sure why I remembered them not fitting. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
You'll feel the difference with a metal binding almost immediately.

With most plastic bindings (I'll exclude Now bindings because they work a lot differently) the base deforms quite a bit as you pressure it. It's particularly apparent with Reflex bindings which have this flex designed into them. Some people really like that feel because it feels "smooth," as you have less response at first and then the more you pressure it, the more you hit the limit of where the plastic will bend and the board turns.

On stiff boards, however, you can bend that plastic quite a bit before you turn, and the response can feel really sluggish. When I owned Vitas, I loved them on my Space Case which was a very easy to turn, softer freestyle board. Put them on a TRice Pro though and it was tough to turn. If you put Union TRice Pro bindings on that board which had a very stiff baseplate and metal heel loop, the board came alive.

Metal hardly bends at all so it has an immediate response, and if you want to flex a board torsionally it's going to be much easier. If you want to bend a board to your will, metal feels way better. If you want to ride on top of the board, plastic is gonna be the call. And there are plenty of bindings that are loose and flexy (Most Burton, Salomon ShadowFit, the K2 with the pods on the bottom) designed for that.

Now bindings are the exception to this rule for me because they just don't bend a whole lot due to the design. Now Drives ride like metal bindings to me - you get that immediate response.

I like putting really responsive bindings even on park boards - it's twitchy but I like that precision. I'm not as much of a fan of putting softer bindings on stiff boards. After riding very responsive setups for years that just feels really sluggish to me.
I’m looking to get a Bataleon Wallie 151 for next season, but am having trouble figuring out what bindings to pair with it for the best feel and performance for primarily ground tricks and buttering.

I was particularly interested in the Malavitas (winged hi-back version), but after reading your post, I am not so sure anymore. The Wallie is a relatively soft board and Bataleon boards are known to feel less responsive due to the 3BT lifted edges. Pairing that with a soft-ish binding like the Malavita starts to seem questionable.

Do you have any suggestions on what bindings I should get? I really liked the idea of the winged hi-backs option on the Malavitas for buttering/presses.

For reference, I am 5’11 160lbs with a shoe size 10.

·
Premium Member
2,110 Posts
I’m looking to get a Bataleon Wallie 151 for next season, but am having trouble figuring out what bindings to pair with it for the best feel and performance for primarily ground tricks and buttering.

I was particularly interested in the Malavitas (winged hi-back version), but after reading your post, I am not so sure anymore. The Wallie is a relatively soft board and Bataleon boards are known to feel less responsive due to the 3BT lifted edges. Pairing that with a soft-ish binding like the Malavita starts to seem questionable.

Do you have any suggestions on what bindings I should get? I really liked the idea of the winged hi-backs option on the Malavitas for buttering/presses.

For reference, I am 5’11 160lbs with a shoe size 10.
Malavitas sound really good for that board, your size, and style of riding. Don't sweat it.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Not a chance. They even changed the frame design, and KEPT this ridiculous thing on there. They've been using that shape for decades, but the issues really started with reflex since you're putting way more pressure out there since the whole binding flexes underfoot.
I bought some Cartel X '21 reflex bindings, can the mounting disc be swapped out to a more solid one? would that fix the topsheet cracking issue due to binding flex and the heel wingpoint thing?

·
Registered
459 Posts
I highly doubt that. But you can send Burton an email and see if it is possible?
I could ask Burton, but I doubt they would help, if the pressure point on the baseplate is a known outcome of a design shape that has been around for years.
I think that I will order some 1mm plastic sheet to go under the baseplates and cut it to shape, or just sell the bindings. If I break a board via doing something dumb, or landing badly, that's one thing - and I will own that,
But, to have a board break because of a binding design that has allegedly been causing a problem for years, it appears lazy -at best- that the design has not been fixed by eliminating that pressure point.
The baseplate on the EST channel version of Cartel X and other Burton EST models appears not to have that pressure point heelside, at least from the product images at EVO.
I don't own any channel boards, and at this point, I'm not rushing out to buy any, let alone a channel-only binding.

·
Registered
10,076 Posts
I'd definitely ride Arbor, Bent Metal, Now, Flux... But at this point I've 90% converted to Rome. Only holdout's are some Flow Freeballers and one set of NX2 Teams for when I really want a stiff supportive feel. Vice's and D.O.D's. I grab something different every year, but just end up selling them.

Reactions: WigMar

·
Registered
459 Posts
I'd definitely ride Arbor, Bent Metal, Now, Flux... But at this point I've 90% converted to Rome. Only holdout's are some Flow Freeballers and one set of NX2 Teams for when I really want a stiff supportive feel. Vice's and D.O.D's. I grab something different every year, but just end up selling them.
Nivek, how do the Rome cleavers, and Ride A-8 /A-10 compare in your estimation in terms of stiffness, response and lateral play (or lack of it) in your opinion?
I read in another thread that there had been some issues with the cleavers

·
Registered
Yes Standard
81 Posts
Anybody ever put a cartel baseplate on a Malavita to get a stiffer binding for a mid-stiff board?:) I have a yes standard that’s mid wide and slightly stiffer and I wonder if the vitas are to soft to power this board like it should? Any thoughts appreciated:)

·
Registered
10,076 Posts
With ReFlex the frame stiffness differences are negligible. I doubt you’d feel a difference.

Reactions: Spaceship
61 - 79 of 79 Posts