Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just fixing up an old Burton Progression snowboard and noticed they have 4 rubbery type pads fitted into the extruded base basically just either side of the contact points. Not sure what these actually do.? Maybe to slow the board down? They are manufactured into the board from the factory. Pretty sure this is a Burton LTR board.

20210602_141639.jpg

20210602_141731.jpg

20210602_141513.jpg

20210602_141550.jpg

·
Registered
191 Posts
Could just be that they expect beginners to stand their boards carelessly and they fall over and get damaged at the contact points. Just rubber and edge at those parts would be easy to repair?

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
Could just be that they expect beginners to stand their boards carelessly and they fall over and get damaged at the contact points. Just rubber and edge at those parts would be easy to repair?
Yep exactly that, built to take a beating.

The diecuts on the base are where they'd usually fail in our old fleet, to the point we'd never hot iron them anymore - belt wax only. Be careful not to let the base heat up too much when you're waxing it!

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep exactly that, built to take a beating.

The diecuts on the base are where they'd usually fail in our old fleet, to the point we'd never hot iron them anymore - belt wax only. Be careful not to let the base heat up too much when you're waxing it!
Phedder, I've also noticed over the years that LibTech boards always tend to bleed their graphics through the base when ironing. You clearly see it when you move across a dark to light area and the darker shades bleed lightly out of the base to lightly smear the lighter sections. Not many boards do this but it's definitely on Lib Tech. Is it just on the type of paint they use on the graphic underlay?

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
Phedder, I've also noticed over the years that LibTech boards always tend to bleed their graphics through the base when ironing. You clearly see it when you move across a dark to light area and the darker shades bleed lightly out of the base to lightly smear the lighter sections. Not many boards do this but it's definitely on Lib Tech. Is it just on the type of paint they use on the graphic underlay?
I have noticed this as well but only rarely and can't recall specific brands or boards that have done it. I really don't know enough about board construction processes or materials to say what causes it. Libs Eco Sublimated bases do tend to have some of the brighter and more detailed base graphics out there so I could imagine them being susceptible to it, I'll have to pay more attention when tuning next season!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts