Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright lads.

Looking at new boots, I like the idea of the ease of the burton speed zone lacing system. But looking at a few older threads they are not looked upon lovingly on here.
The threads were quite a bit older so I'm wondering if now in 2022 Burton have made this better or is it still not wise because of issues? And also the BOA system, that seems a little better judging by some older threads. Are they up to scratch nowadays or is it just best to stick with laces?

Cheers

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
the main problem with speedlaces are that they pop out when you are walking around in deep snow. other than that, they are easier to tighten than laces. boa is pretty much the same, but in my experience they fuck up the lacing pattern more often than with speed laces, so crank em tight when you try boas and see what happens.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
2021 SLX
2020 Tourists

I absolutely LOVE Burton Speedzone lacing! Coming three years of Ride Boas. Speedzones are super quick, easy to use, and solid.
The tourist looks a very good boot. Bit towards the steeper end of my budget really and more towards intermediate/advanced riders. Or so it says, Which says to me a bit more unforgiving?
Im on the beginner end of the spectrum at the minute so might go a bit cheaper and beginner oriented. The MOTO looks a good option.

·
Premium Member
2,776 Posts
So did you find they worked loose a lot, or just didn't feel tight enough everywhere?
I have my lower part super loose, like no tension at all. And the uppers hella tight. If I go tight on the top of my foot my arches kill. I also like how laces have some give to them. BOAs and the cords of speed laces have zero give.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Welp, just in case anyone was interested (doubtful) after a bit of shopping around and my first choice not being in stock in my size anywhere it seems, i went for the 2022 ThirtyTwo STW BOA. Decent beginner boot it would seem. Very light and a bit more forgiving hopefully. Been wearing em round the house to break em in a bit and I cant get over how light they are. Of course im comparing it to memories from the late 90's early naughties but still shocked me. Got the snowdome booked this weekend so give them a run out then

·
Registered
160 Posts
Welp, just in case anyone was interested (doubtful) after a bit of shopping around and my first choice not being in stock in my size anywhere it seems, i went for the 2022 ThirtyTwo STW BOA. Decent beginner boot it would seem. Very light and a bit more forgiving hopefully. Been wearing em round the house to break em in a bit and I cant get over how light they are. Of course im comparing it to memories from the late 90's early naughties but still shocked me. Got the snowdome booked this weekend so give them a run out then
Sounds like a winner. My preference is speed laces over BOA simply because I find I over tighten the BOA all the time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sounds like a winner. My preference is speed laces over BOA simply because I find I over tighten the BOA all the time.
Yeah ive noticed in the short time walking about the house with them on that i have tightened them a few times after the initial "tighten".
Don't think they're coming loose just not used to the BOA system and don't want to over tighten i guess. See how it goes when i actually ride with them tomorrow

·
Registered
47 Posts
i am looking for Burton ION.
Till now i thought that the best option is BOA. I like the boots really tight.
Is that really so that boa get loose and SL not? or did i something misunderstand....

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
i am looking for Burton ION.
Till now i thought that the best option is BOA. I like the boots really tight.
Is that really so that boa get loose and SL not? or did i something misunderstand....
If you tighten them too much, and apply alot of force, or didnt click it into place properly, they could come loose, but thats not slack, thats an open boot, like if your laces come undone. You will always feel a need to retighten boots after awhile, but that’s because of boots, feet, liners, lace stretch, moisture and so on, not that the lacing moved.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts