Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Burton Step-on Hot Spot Issues?

28K views 41 replies 20 participants last post by  Rorgaard 
#1 ·
I just picked up a pair of photon steps-on's and the pinkie toe and the Tailor's bunion gets hot spots just laying around the house trying to heat mold these things. Usually wear a size 10 boot but went down to a 9 at first. After wearing them for 1 hour around the house my foot went numb and had severe hot spots in those areas. Then the same thing with the 10 just not as much numbness. No its not over tightened but it is tightish as it should be. When the outer cleat is under pressure from tightening the boa it really notches down into your foot causing pain and soreness within 10 min. I hate to say that since I've waited on a list all summer to pick mine up and now I'm probably going to either return them and scrap the whole step on system all together or try to see what other solutions are out there... My foot is not wide I tend to fit in a more euro shoe which typically is slimmer but this is a serious design flaw and will eliminate many people from enjoying this set up. AARRH!! Anyone here experience this similar issue find a fix? TIA!

#3 ·
Hi Nate,

This issue in the step on boots is common and is often related to poor initial fit. Please measure your foot using this method:

Kick your heel (barefoot please, no socks) back against a wall. Mark the floor exactly at the tip of your toe (the one that sticks out furthest - which toe this is will vary by rider). Measure from the mark on the floor to the wall. That is your foot length and is the only measurement that you will want to use. Measure in centimeters if possible, but if not, take inches and multiply by 2.54 (example: an 11.25 inch foot x 2.54 = 28.57 centimeters). For width please place the inside (medial side) of your foot against a wall. Please then measure from the wall out to the widest point on the lateral (outside) of your foot.

STOKED!

#5 ·
Hi Nolan,

Yours is one of the common scenarios that works poorly with the step on system. 30 cm is actually Mondo 300 or size 12 in snowboard boots. But...11 cm at size 12 is an E width. The Photon Step On's are D width. You have upsized boot length a full size to gain the width that you need but that gives really poor results with this system. In terms of fit is misaligns the foot with the boot structures. In terms of performance is is awful because there is no outer binding to make up for a sloppy fit. This will get worse after the break in period and will degrade further over time.

I would strongly suggest that you opt for a Salomon Wide boot (E width) in size 12 with a conventional binding.

Stoked!

#6 ·
Thanks for your reply! Well my toes actually touch the nose of the boot so I dont think the boot is to big in length. I cant return the boots and the pressure doesnt seem to be that terrible.. So I think i'll probably stick with these boots for a while and mod the boot as far as possible. I've heard about shops that can strech/widen boots a bit. What do you think about that? Will heat molding help further after several hours of wearing them indoors?

#7 ·
Thanks for your reply! Well my toes actually touch the nose of the boot so I dont think the boot is to big in length.
Toes touching the front of hte boot means nothing. Could mean that the the boots fit, might mean that the boots are too small or that the are too small.
In your case the boots are too long.

I cant return the boots and the pressure doesnt seem to be that terrible.. So I think i'll probably stick with these boots for a while and mod the boot as far as possible. I've heard about shops that can strech/widen boots a bit. What do you think about that?
Terrible idea. Your boots are already too big, so do not stretch them even further.

Will heat molding help further after several hours of wearing them indoors?
Of course it will. Heat molding always helps/improves the situation (unless a proper heat mold has already been done before). Wearing the boots (indoors or outdoors) does not heat mold them.

#9 ·
Just literally got mine a few hours ago. have to say that sadly agree - these are way tight. I usually ride Northwave Dominion which are a stiff boot but these are just way too narrow on my foot.

I had heat moulds done for Northwaves so will do the same for the Photons and see if that makes a difference. I certainly hope so given what I spent on these.....

#10 ·
I will be happy to help.

Please measure your foot using this method:

Kick your heel (barefoot please, no socks) back against a wall. Mark the floor exactly at the tip of your toe (the one that sticks out furthest - which toe this is will vary by rider). Measure from the mark on the floor to the wall. That is your foot length and is the only measurement that you will want to use. Measure in centimeters if possible, but if not, take inches and multiply by 2.54 (example: an 11.25 inch foot x 2.54 = 28.57 centimeters). For width please place the inside (medial side) of your foot against a wall. Please then measure from the wall out to the widest point on the lateral (outside) of your foot.

#12 ·
Hi Tony,

This is not going to be a good match for you. 10.4 cm is an E width which will be too wide for the "normal" D width Step on boots. Your Mondopoint size is 280 or size 10 in snowboard boots. Salomon makes some excellent Wide models in E width.

STOKED!

#13 ·
After wearing them around the house over the past 4 days(10 hours or so) I've noticed the pinky and bunion hot spot area got fairly packed out to a nice snug fit with no issues. After running my hands along the inside of the boot without the liner I never felt a notch so i realized it was the liner causing this issue. There is a stitching on the liner that when in the boot, backs up to the hard plastic and metal cleat on the boot right before it starts to curve where the padding is thicker which created the issue hot spots. Heat molding will probably alleviate most peoples issues with a borderline E width foot. I may suggest to make sure you get the snuggest fit you feel ok in as I could see this being hazard if this boot becomes to large connected the way it does to the binding.

#18 · (Edited)
UK 10. Liner much improved post moulding and footbed a great fit. Suspect latter helps place my foot much better than the cheap footbed that came with the boot. I temd to need orthotics in any sports footwear.

Now for aome snow to test out. ��
That is not going to end well. Your foot length is for a UK9, so those boots are 2 sizes (1 full size) too large/too long...

#20 ·
Interesting approach and well intended but given the advice you have handed out here then the same would apply for the Northwave Domains and the Northwave Legends which were in fact both US 11. Both were spot on and trust me facilitated many a great days riding. New ones are simply that I like to play with new tech and TBH I know what feels good and what doesn’t.

BTW my Legends had the footbeds done in Big White last year and are like a glove all round - the shop there are exceptional and had zero issue with fit despite being in a position to offer me new boots had it been needed.

So net net science is great but feel is a very very individual things. As such ease your conscience - your “bad news” is an opinion not a fact so I will appreciate the advice but respectfully make my own mind up where it counts - on the hill.

For all the folk being put off Step On’s - my advice - if you can afford it without regrets give it a go - if it really doesn’t work out wing them back to Burton or put them up for sale and somebody else will take a punt if only out of the curiosity we all have for new toys. Step Ons cannot not fit everybody.

Ride safe.

#21 ·
Hi Tony,

I certainly won't push the issue with you if you are stoked. I responded because you had written, "I temd to need orthotics in any sports footwear". That is very common for individuals wearing oversized boots. Most find that they are able to shed orthortics, custom footbeds, J bars, etc when they move to their actual Mondopoint size at their actual width. If you ever decide to explore that we will be here...beating the drum.

STOKED!

#33 · (Edited)
I had this EXACT problem...hot spot 5th metatarsal head with my new Burton step-ons (10.5 ruler's boots + medium step-ons).
I fixed this with a "Bootfitter" boot stretcher from Amazon ($40) and a hair dryer.
can u elaborate on what you did to adjust your boots? i have a pair of Swaths US11 and having same issues with my back foot

i am about to measure my feet, but my right foot is smaller than my left, visibly, and has always been an issue. My last boots were 10.5US Burtons and i would get FRONT foot pain all the time! Now with my new boots, my front foot doesnt hurt at all (literally rode nonstop for 4hrs yesterday, never unclipped my front foot, and not a signal issue). But im getting this REAR foot hot spot now: I dunno if its my foot shifting in the boot while riding to a new and offset position, which is placing the bone in the wrong place for the cleat? taking the boot on and off helps, so leaning towards my foot shifting in the boot while riding....

EDIT:
Left foot - 28.3cm (US 10.5)
Right foot - 27.8 cm (US 10)
Width - roughly 10.5cm

#27 ·
Hi there, interested in reading this. I bought the Photons in UK size 12 and boarded for a week in Feb. Had the same trouble. Soreness on right foot at its widest point into base of small toe. Particularly when stopping would almost cramp too. Foot dimensions as per instructions above are 29.4cm long and 10.5cm wide so I’m wondering if width is the issue here? Any insight appreciated!

Matt

#31 ·
If anyone has a perspective in this it’d be much appreciated. Still undecided to push on through or switch back to the Salomon. Never had pain from these.
Are you sure your measurements are accurate & are actually done according to the instructions? It's amazing how many people get that wrong. If so, your feet are standard width, but your boots are 1.5 sizes too big. These are Wiredsport's links for sizing: https://snowboardbootsizer.com/ https://www.wiredsport.com/width2.JPG