Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts
Hi Tony,

I certainly won't push the issue with you if you are stoked. I responded because you had written, "I temd to need orthotics in any sports footwear". That is very common for individuals wearing oversized boots. Most find that they are able to shed orthortics, custom footbeds, J bars, etc when they move to their actual Mondopoint size at their actual width. If you ever decide to explore that we will be here...beating the drum.

STOKED!

What do you mean by this? Do my toes need to pierce through the fabric or be half folded in the shoe in order to be the right fit?
Hi Nolan,

No Sir. Not quite that extreme :) Boots are designed so that when you are wearing your Mondopoint size You will have firm pressure (both toe and heel into the compliant materials of the liner). If you are just touching that will mean that the boot is ~1 cm too large (one full boots size). You should be overhanging the insert of the boot by ~1 cm. You can check this by removing it. Post up a picture or two of yourself standing on the insert if you have the time.

PS: This is by no means an argument on my part. I am sharing some experience and I have no problem if my suggestions are not followed or even considered. They are given with my best intentions.

STOKED!

I just picked up a pair of photon steps-on's and the pinkie toe and the Tailor's bunion gets hot spots just laying around the house trying to heat mold these things. Usually wear a size 10 boot but went down to a 9 at first. After wearing them for 1 hour around the house my foot went numb and had severe hot spots in those areas. Then the same thing with the 10 just not as much numbness. No its not over tightened but it is tightish as it should be. When the outer cleat is under pressure from tightening the boa it really notches down into your foot causing pain and soreness within 10 min. I hate to say that since I've waited on a list all summer to pick mine up and now I'm probably going to either return them and scrap the whole step on system all together or try to see what other solutions are out there... My foot is not wide I tend to fit in a more euro shoe which typically is slimmer but this is a serious design flaw and will eliminate many people from enjoying this set up. AARRH!! Anyone here experience this similar issue find a fix? TIA!
I had this EXACT problem...hot spot 5th metatarsal head with my new Burton step-ons (10.5 ruler's boots + medium step-ons).
I fixed this with a "Bootfitter" boot stretcher from Amazon ($40) and a hair dryer.

Bought this setup (Photon size 13) in December and have used ~10 days. Had the same issue with sore pinky toes after the first couple of days, but figured out that I had the ankle strap on the boots done up just a bit too tight. No issues since then. Absolutely love these things.

Hi there, interested in reading this. I bought the Photons in UK size 12 and boarded for a week in Feb. Had the same trouble. Soreness on right foot at its widest point into base of small toe. Particularly when stopping would almost cramp too. Foot dimensions as per instructions above are 29.4cm long and 10.5cm wide so I’m wondering if width is the issue here? Any insight appreciated!

Matt

Boots are designed so that when you are wearing your Mondopoint size You will have firm pressure (both toe and heel into the compliant materials of the liner). If you are just touching that will mean that the boot is ~1 cm too large (one full boots size).
Huh, I never knew. This should be emphasized more often. Not that I've actively sought your advice, but I've casually read several boot fitting threads here and hadn't caught that nugget of wisdom.

I kind of want my boots to wear out faster now.

Huh, I never knew. This should be emphasized more often. Not that I've actively sought your advice, but I've casually read several boot fitting threads here and hadn't caught that nugget of wisdom.

I kind of want my boots to wear out faster now.
Hi,

Yes, this cannot be emphasized enough. The range for any mondopoint size (half size) is 5 mm. If your foot is with that 5 mm range you will have the fit described above. That is how boots are designed to work.

STOKED!

Hi there, interested in reading this. I bought the Photons in UK size 12 and boarded for a week in Feb. Had the same trouble. Soreness on right foot at its widest point into base of small toe. Particularly when stopping would almost cramp too. Foot dimensions as per instructions above are 29.4cm long and 10.5cm wide so I’m wondering if width is the issue here? Any insight appreciated!

Matt
If anyone has a perspective in this it’d be much appreciated. Still undecided to push on through or switch back to the Salomon. Never had pain from these.
Are you sure your measurements are accurate & are actually done according to the instructions? It's amazing how many people get that wrong. If so, your feet are standard width, but your boots are 1.5 sizes too big. These are Wiredsport's links for sizing: https://snowboardbootsizer.com/ https://www.wiredsport.com/width2.JPG

Are you sure your measurements are accurate & are actually done according to the instructions? It's amazing how many people get that wrong. If so, your feet are standard width, but your boots are 1.5 sizes too big. These are Wiredsport's links for sizing: https://snowboardbootsizer.com/ https://www.wiredsport.com/width2.JPG
Hi,

Radial has some good advice there. UK 12 (US 13) is Mondopoint 310. At 29.4 you would be a size 11.5 US or Mondopoint 295. Please confirm those measurements with some images of your bare feet being measured.

STOKED!

I had this EXACT problem...hot spot 5th metatarsal head with my new Burton step-ons (10.5 ruler's boots + medium step-ons).
I fixed this with a "Bootfitter" boot stretcher from Amazon ($40) and a hair dryer.
can u elaborate on what you did to adjust your boots? i have a pair of Swaths US11 and having same issues with my back foot

i am about to measure my feet, but my right foot is smaller than my left, visibly, and has always been an issue. My last boots were 10.5US Burtons and i would get FRONT foot pain all the time! Now with my new boots, my front foot doesnt hurt at all (literally rode nonstop for 4hrs yesterday, never unclipped my front foot, and not a signal issue). But im getting this REAR foot hot spot now: I dunno if its my foot shifting in the boot while riding to a new and offset position, which is placing the bone in the wrong place for the cleat? taking the boot on and off helps, so leaning towards my foot shifting in the boot while riding....

EDIT:
Left foot - 28.3cm (US 10.5)
Right foot - 27.8 cm (US 10)
Width - roughly 10.5cm

can u elaborate on what you did to adjust your boots? i have a pair of Swaths US11 and having same issues with my back foot

i am about to measure my feet, but my right foot is smaller than my left, visibly, and has always been an issue. My last boots were 10.5US Burtons and i would get FRONT foot pain all the time! Now with my new boots, my front foot doesnt hurt at all (literally rode nonstop for 4hrs yesterday, never unclipped my front foot, and not a signal issue). But im getting this REAR foot hot spot now: I dunno if its my foot shifting in the boot while riding to a new and offset position, which is placing the bone in the wrong place for the cleat? taking the boot on and off helps, so leaning towards my foot shifting in the boot while riding....

EDIT:
Left foot - 28.3cm (US 10.5)
Right foot - 27.8 cm (US 10)
Width - roughly 10.5cm
I've been out 3 times with my US11.5 swaths and I'm in the same boat. I replaced 20 year old Original Sin step in's that never once had any issue. Now after about 20 minutes of riding, I'm in constant pain, outside of the pinkie toe and big toe. I'm going to try the Photon Wide boots and see if that makes a difference. If I can find them.

Hi Nolan,

No Sir. Not quite that extreme :) Boots are designed so that when you are wearing your Mondopoint size You will have firm pressure (both toe and heel into the compliant materials of the liner). If you are just touching that will mean that the boot is ~1 cm too large (one full boots size). You should be overhanging the insert of the boot by ~1 cm. You can check this by removing it. Post up a picture or two of yourself standing on the insert if you have the time.

PS: This is by no means an argument on my part. I am sharing some experience and I have no problem if my suggestions are not followed or even considered. They are given with my best intentions.

STOKED!
I appreciate you sharing your experience and applaud you continue to do so! Please don't ever let those that choose to look the other way discourage what you do because it is very helpful to others!

I am in the process of getting the swath step ons. I have super bent pinkie toes and am now afraid that the boots are gonna be too painful. Can i put one of those stretcher machines that bumps out the toe, like i can for work boots? Not sure the molding thing will be enough.

So the work boot toe stretcher thing works on the cleat? Pushing it out to take the pressure off the baby toe. Think i am gonna need that for my Swath step ons.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts