Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I now had the second toe strap break on my 1 year old Prophecy. It was the part with holes both times.

Has anyone had problems with the ankle strap breaking? (That would really suck.)

·
Registered
899 Posts
Yep... beginning of this season... on my Cartels, an ankle strap broke, then on the next run, the top strap.

but... these Cartels were a few years old

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
move the straps out of the way with your hands before stepping into the binding.
make this a habit and it's very unlikely that you'll ever break another ever again.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
move the straps out of the way with your hands before stepping into the binding.
make this a habit and it's very unlikely that you'll ever break another ever again.
I do that - I'm one of those guys who sit down to strap in. I also keep straps closed when transporting the board to minimize bending them the other way.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I also keep straps closed when transporting the board to minimize bending them the other way.
I also do this habitually with my capstrap when I'm finished with a run and before I get back in the lift line. It might be a bit of extra wear on the ladders but I haven't noticed it and it seems to me to be better than letting the capstrap flop around while skating and getting on/off lift, potentially having it get sliced up by my edges, etc.

I love Burton straps.

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
I have some 2012 Prophecys and have had no strap breaking issues and have put around 80 days on them. Some fray marks, but no breakage.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I also do this habitually with my capstrap when I'm finished with a run and before I get back in the lift line. It might be a bit of extra wear on the ladders
I'm happy with the ladders, they have minimal wear. The plastic ratchet wheel seems to be working quite well in that regard, doesn't do damage if it slips.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I'm happy with the ladders, they have minimal wear. The plastic ratchet wheel seems to be working quite well in that regard, doesn't do damage if it slips.
Oh I should've specified that this practice has not created any noticeable additional wear on the ladders, but I just assumed it would over time. My 2009's are just fine.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On a positive note, I went to a local store (where I hadn't bought the binding) and got a replacement strap for free, no questions asked (I was prepared to pay, since I needed a quick replacement).

·
Registered
70 Posts
2008 Burton Cartels

Toe strap broke for the first time this season, but had been worn out for a while. Replacement was free in a Burton store and took about 6 minutes to fix. Not really a big deal and a good deal of durability/usage given that the bindings lasted almost 5 seasons.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I've had my rear foot's toe strap (the piece with the toe-cap, not the ladder) break on my Prophecies this year. I've also had the same thing happen to a pair of CO2's a couple years ago.

I suspect what is happening is the toe-cap is getting underneath my toe edge when getting on or off the lift somehow. I've noticed the break both times immediately after getting off the lift and getting ready to strap in. In other words, I am more suspicious it was my action that caused it not a fault in the equipment.

That said, as much as it sucks this is the only two things I can remember to ever go wrong for me on a pair of Burton bindings and I've been riding Burtons for 20+ years now.

MeanJoe

·
Registered
730 Posts
This is honestly why i am so hesitant to stray from Burton bindings...their replacement for binding parts is completely unquestioned. "it broke? here's a new piece" I went to a local shop when i was going on a long trip...was worried about my older straps....they gave me one of each just incase.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
The reverse of thisis true. I broke a toe strap once by stepping on it and folding it backwards and broke it at the bottom. Not surprising, I slipped and landed on it by mistake.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts