Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i tried to search but couldn’t find any comparisons so was hoping for some bright minds’ help. Intermediate rider, mostly resort, some park, some back country, looking for the do it all set for a long time ;)

debating between burton AK Hover GTX pro set vs Arcteryx Rush jacket + stinger pant at similar discounted pricing (arcteryx~ $80 more).

both sets are GTX pro and 80D vs 70D(burton) with lifetime limited warranty. But burton might be more snowboard oriented and more features? What would you choose? Thanks!

·
Registered
976 Posts
If I were in the market I would probably go for the Volcom Guide or Guch Jacket(both 3L gore tex, the Guch is stretch gore tex) and the Rain GTX bibs. I already have 3L Jacket and Bibs but with all the steep sales from the season being cut short it has been tempting.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
If I were in the market I would probably go for the Volcom Guide or Guch Jacket(both 3L gore tex, the Guch is stretch gore tex) and the Rain GTX bibs. I already have 3L Jacket and Bibs but with all the steep sales from the season being cut short it has been tempting.
i found these 2 styles from Volcom for 50% off (guch set ~$700 cad), but also found Arcteryx 40% off and I am able to get Hover gtx pro 50% off so thats why i am indecisive..
Burton hover ~$750 and arcteryx is ~$900 both gtx pro

·
Registered
263 Posts
I'd go Arc'teryx all the way. I've had the highest end of Volcom, TDS 3L Guide Jacket and Pants and it quickly started to wear out after less than 20 days of riding. Zippers started to deteriorate, ankle areas, just didn't like the quality at all. I loved the ziptech, but not worth the high end price. Burton a bit of the same, but not as much.

I have Sabre pants and the Sidewinder jacket and it's bomb proof. Won't look at other brands even though Patagonia has lifetime warranty and their gear is pretty great as well.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Burton, without hesitation. Snowboard specific design and function, top notch quality, the best warranty and repair in the business. The cuffs were coming unsewn my my Burton AK pants after about 200 days of riding. I sent them in for repair. They said they were not repairable and offered my a new pair! Sweet! Function, style, service. Go with Burton.

·
Registered
711 Posts
AK and Arcteryx are both killer gear, I have AK pants and Arcteryx Sidewinder Jackets, I have a Sidewinder that’s 15+ years old and is still in killer shape, I don’t hesitate to fly through branches/limbs and up here in the PNW we have some huge limbs. I didn’t need a new jacket but my buddies son was working at Arcteryx and said we could buy up to $4600 no tax or shipping worth of gear 50% off using his employee number, I couldn’t pass that deal up so I ordered another Sidewinder which is still a strong, dry, super light, comfortable fit jacket. Since I had $4200 left to purchase stuff I told all my buddies and hocked them up with bibs, jackets, gloves, baselayers xmas came early for us.

·
Read Only
113 Posts
Arcterxy is top of the line outerwear, worth every penny, but not snowboard-specific.

FlyLow Baker bibs and Lab Coat my go to. Most durable products on the market bar none.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Arcterxy makes top of the line outdoor products. But... something to consider is.. if you wear a helmet, and on the extra cold, windy days, certain hoods don't fit over the helmet. That was the case with my North Face shell.

·
Premium Member
3,689 Posts
Arcterxy makes top of the line outdoor products. But... something to consider is.. if you wear a helmet, and on the extra cold, windy days, certain hoods don't fit over the helmet. That was the case with my North Face shell.
Arcteryx have the best helmet compatible hoods I've ever used, hands down. I'm fairly certain they don't make a single shell that isn't helmet compatible, and I believe my Beta AR has 3 way adjustment for the perfect fit. I've never had another hood that I can wear so comfortably over a bare head in the rain and adjust so it stays in place and out of my way, or works well with a hat, or works fantastically with a helmet.

But that said I don't snowboard in my Beta unless I know it's going to be wet. Kept me bone dry and very well protected on many hiking, camping and biking missions though!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Burton, without hesitation. Snowboard specific design and function, top notch quality, the best warranty and repair in the business. The cuffs were coming unsewn my my Burton AK pants after about 200 days of riding. I sent them in for repair. They said they were not repairable and offered my a new pair! Sweet! Function, style, service. Go with Burton.
Are the AK pants tru to size? I just purchased Flylow Chemical pants in size L and they fit very well. Wanted to compare them to the AK pants.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Arcterxy is top of the line outerwear, worth every penny, but not snowboard-specific.

FlyLow Baker bibs and Lab Coat my go to. Most durable products on the market bar none.
Hello, I just purchased a pair of Flylow Chemical pants in size L. for snowboarding. I really couldn’t pass these up since I got them for 50% off. They seem extremely solid. Looking for a shell jacket now. Thinking of AK or Flylow.

·
Registered
10,021 Posts
You won’t be bummed on either, personally sway towards AK for riding as I like the in hand feel and fits better. If you’re out there mountaineering or splitting a lot then Arcteryx, Pataguchi, or the new TNF Futurelight shiz.

Reactions: Craig64

·
Registered
1 Posts
AK and Arcteryx are both killer gear, I have AK pants and Arcteryx Sidewinder Jackets, I have a Sidewinder that’s 15+ years old and is still in killer shape, I don’t hesitate to fly through branches/limbs and up here in the PNW we have some huge limbs. I didn’t need a new jacket but my buddies son was working at Arcteryx and said we could buy up to $4600 no tax or shipping worth of gear 50% off using his employee number, I couldn’t pass that deal up so I ordered another Sidewinder which is still a strong, dry, super light, comfortable fit jacket. Since I had $4200 left to purchase stuff I told all my buddies and hocked them up with bibs, jackets, gloves, baselayers xmas came early for us.
I need a buddy like that!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Arcteryx is great, top quality, but not snowboard orientated...
Arcyeryx is great for mountainering or splitboarding. For resort riding, you might be better of with something more snowboard specific ;)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Arcteryx is great, top quality, but not snowboard orientated...
Arcyeryx is great for mountainering or splitboarding. For resort riding, you might be better of with something more snowboard specific ;)
Why and what do you mean when you say 'more snowboard specific'?

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Years ago when I tried to fit my body into Arcteryx outerwear, I found them to be short/wide in torso and impossibly long in the arms. That was the Sidewinder jacket. Pants fit wrong, too, tight in the crotch and too long in the inseams. I have since accepted I am not cut like a Canadian mountaineering He-man.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Anyone who has Arcteryx sabre or similar jackets in here? Would you mind listing size and measurements? Cant find anything online! Zip length and pit to pit?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts