Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
❄ Burton Wheelie Gig V Dakine Fall Line Snowboard/Ski Bag Review (Part 1).

(Due to the 10 picture limit per post, this review will come in 3 parts).

❄ Brand: Burton,
❄ Model: Wheelie Gig,
❄ YOM: 2016,
❄ Waterproofing: Water repellent finish,
❄ Material: 600D polyester construction with TPE (Thermoplastic elastomer) backing,
❄ Insulation: Full foam padded,
❄ Mobility: Super smooth 60mm IXION skate wheels,
❄ Size: 156 cm [160 cm x 33 cm x 14/21 cm] 110 litres, 166 cm [170 cm x 33 cm x 14/21 cm] 117 litres,
❄ Colour: "True Black/Rasta",
❄ Price: $Au 229.99 RRP ($US179.95 ), (@2021).
❄ Weight: 3.0 - 3.3kg [6.6 - 7.2lbs],
❄ Camera: GoPro Hero 7 Black/Smatree S2C carbon pole, Samsung S8.

Grey Font Electric blue Pattern Graphics

I've owned Burton Wheelie Gigs for over a decade now as my first choice go to travel bag for Snowboarding overseas. We have both the 156 (son) and 166 (me) Wheelie Gig bags as well as owning a 166 Wheelie Locker and a 166 Wheelie Board Case in the past. These bags are absolutely awesome for traveling overseas.

The Burton Wheelie Locker is unreal with its dual layered accessible compartments, an amazing integrated telescopic handle and 2 x separate zip up bootbags. The Wheelie Locker is practically the same dimension wise as the Wheelie Board Case however without the additional telescopic carry handle. Here is a plus which is actually a negative...., you can load up the Wheelie Locker/Board Case with a shit load of gear due to its 290mm height. I have been able to fill them with the whole families gear (skis, boards all broken down and layered) for past overseas trips, loading up easily to the check in 32kg weight limit.

However...., and this is a big however, the main problem you have now is a lot of Airlines have installed OHS weight limits on luggage to avoid staff getting injured. In the distant past, Airlines I've used have a 32 kg bag limit but more recently it's been dropped down to 23kg. The Wheelie Locker/Board Case has an enormous ability to swallow so much of your gear that you have to constantly keep an eye on you baggage weight in order to pass carrier check in maximums set for OHS reasons.

Rectangle Road surface Automotive tire Grey Asphalt

That's why we now use 2 Wheelie Gigs and spread the weight evenly across. I can easily clock close to or just over 23kg with 3 layered up protected boards, bindings, boots and ancillaries in a Wheelie Gig 166 or 156 bag. The Wheelie Gig is the perfect sized Snowboard bag to travel overseas with.

Burton Snowboards have changed the design for it's Gig Bag/Wheelie Board Case/Locker from 2018 season onward where they now have integrated top carry handles in the straps that buckle to the side. They changed to design for the secondary pocket, the identification port location and the bag also gains 2 internal tiedown straps rather than the centrally located single one in pre 2018 models.

The Burton Wheelie Gig Snowboard bag commands a pretty decent outlay being listed at $Au 229.99 RRP ($US179.95 RRP) @2021 season. They will generally last a long time so it's always a good idea to buy these on the EOS sales.

So lets have a look at what you get with the 2016 Burton Wheelie Gig bag. This Wheelie Gig 156 is in the colour "Rasta".

The Burton Wheelie Gig is a well made snowboard bag. Its construction, finish and full padded interior other than below the wheel frame are all first rate. The bag has a denier of 600D on the external fabric which is reasonably pretty robust. This bag has done 4 x overseas trips to Japan at 23kg capacity and is still in as new condition other than a few grazes around the wheel exoskeleton. The Denier and construction quality of the bags is probably the key importance for durability as they are they'll be treated as just another piece of luggage at the airports even though they have all your prized gear inside.

Tent Shade Grey Rectangle Tints and shades

The Wheelie Gig has a tapered shaped height being narrower on either of its ends at 14cm and rising to a thicker central 21cm around the middle of the binding area. There is a single internal buckled strap to lock your snowboard into the base. The internal waterproof nylon fabric is also pretty strong as well. There are no cuts in our internal fabric from all the use we've given it however when going overseas I put each layered up board is in it's own Board Sack protection sleeve. An important point to understand is that most snowboard bags have no hard internal spine so the board is actually the skeletal backbone of the bag. So when traveling overseas it is important to give the bag rigidity by having it volume packed with the board/s inside to prevent unnecessary internal sagging and slop. Any empty areas I fill up with foam blocks which help to pack the bag out and add to the snowboard protection.

Motor vehicle Graffiti Bumper Grey Automotive design

Above is a 156 Fish within the Burton Wheelie Gig and you can see it its pretty nice with a slight amount of extra length either side. They can internally fit boards up to around 4cm longer in length than the actual bag size (ie 150cm in a 146 WG,160cm in a 156 WG, 170cm in a 166 WG, 185cm in a 181 WG). The Wheelie Gig bag has an actual net weight (unladen) of between 3.0kg - 3.3kg depending on its size which consequently needs to be added into the internal payload to not step over check-in weight limits.

Brown White Luggage and bags Textile Grey

The Burton Wheelie Gig has a central external pocket which is layered over the top of the bags outer-layer fabric. This is a good feature as the external fabric layer is kept in the one piece and less likely to split or damage in transit. The main compartment area is accessed by 2 bi-directional heavy duty zips with added padlock ability. The zipper ends finish either side behind the rear edge which allows the top flap to completely hinge and lay flat back giving easy internal access to the bag.

Product Bag Textile Luggage and bags Musical instrument accessory

The IXION ball bearing skate wheel rollers on the Burton Wheelie Gig bags glide pretty amazing around the Airport Terminals and flat terrain areas however due to their smaller size they do have a tendency to bottom out over uneven rougher surfaces.

Wood Rectangle Bag Luggage and bags Fashion accessory

The rear base of the Wheelie Gig has a hard nylon skeleton to give the axle area added strength and protection.

Luggage and bags Bag Digital camera Reflex camera Auto part

The nylon internal skin velcro's over the rear chassis exoskeleton for protection. There are 2 axles that lock into the chassis frame from each side of the bag.

Sleeve Textile Wood Bumper Waist

The Burton Wheelie Gig also comes additionally with a clip on padded shoulder strap which I've never really used as they tend to get in the way with handling and...., it's a wheelie bag so you just roll it around. My bags going overseas are always loaded up so you always keep the bag on the ground. All carry handles on the Wheelie Gig are heavy duty padded and feel great in hand. There is also an velcro closed identification port where you can fill out your details on the supplied Burton card to help locate your bag if sadly it ever goes MIA.

Musical instrument accessory Grey Automotive lighting Luggage and bags Audio equipment

These are the Boot Bags you get 2 of in the Wheelie Locker/Board Case. They are made of the same robust internal fabric as the bag and zip up to protect your boots and board in transit. They comfortably take larger boot sizes with the one above having Burton SLX US13 within. They are ideal for packing your boots in before placing in the Wheelie Gig when going overseas.

In my mind.., a Wheelie Gig with a telescopic handle would be the ultimate snowboard bag however any extra features to the bag adds into net weight. A good tip when buying a Burton Wheelie Board Bag which you are going to travel overseas with is to get a patterned/coloured one. This makes them so much easier to identify when they come up from oversize with the 50 to 100 other board bags on the plane everyone is waiting to pick up. I have a "True Black" and "Rasta" coloured Wheelie Gig and use a Lime fluro' coloured sash straps around the bags centre to help us identify ours from others.

The Burton Wheelie Gig is an absolute superb snowboard bag for traveling domestically and overseas. It's pretty robust, brilliantly designed and constructed with high quality materials and components to protect your snowboard and contents from the potential rough handling of travel.

An essential bag for traveling overseas.

A 5+ rating ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
❄ Burton Wheelie Gig V Dakine Fall Line Snowboard/Ski Bag Review (Part 2).

❄ Brand:
Dakine,
❄ Model: Fall Line,
❄ YOM: 2021,
❄ Waterproofing: Water repellent finish,
❄ Material: 600D Recycled Polyester, Plain weave with print, bluesign® approved material,
❄ Insulation: Full foam padded,
❄ Mobility: Durable, over-sized 97mm urethane wheels,
❄ Sizes: 175cm (30cm x 20cm x 188cm) (12" x 8" x 74") 112 litres, 190cm (30cm x 20cm x 203cm) (12" x 8" x 80"), 112 litres 122 litres,
❄ Colour: "Begonia",
❄ Price: $Au229.99 RRP ($US144.95) (@2021),
❄ Weight: 2.7kg (6.0 lbs), 2.8kg (6.2lbs),
❄ Camera: GoPro Hero 7 Black/Smatree S2C carbon pole, Samsung S8.

Sleeve Grey Font Material property Pattern

Recently I grabbed a Dakine Fall Line roller bag for my daughter who is a pretty good skier and runs on 171cm Volkl's she takes to Japan. In the past we just used her single padded Volkl carry bag as they were just that little bit too long to fit in my 166 Burton Wheelie Gig. When you do a bit of overseas travel you quickly realise that wheelie bags are definitely the best way to go when traveling abroad. Now Burton make a 181 Gig bag but having the right sized wheelie bag for you gear is in my mind pretty important to prevent unnecessary sag or slop in the bag when carrying around. So Covid came to the rescue and I was able to get a Dakine Fall Line bag for $Au160 ($US116) delivered.

So lets have a look at the Dakine Fall Line roller bag and just see how it stacks up against the Burton Wheelie Gig.

Rectangle Asphalt Road surface Flooring Pattern

The Dakine Fall Line is marketed as a Ski bag but it can also be a snowboard bag. It's identically the same in features, design, width and cut with the Dakine Low Roller other than a reduced 5cm height difference being 20cm for the Fall Line and 15cm for the Low Roller. In hindsight, I'd probably would have been okay with a 175 Low Roller as the height with a ski bag is critically less important than the height of snowboard bag for me.

The Dakine Fall Line comes in 2 lengths; 175cm (30cm x 15cm x 188cm / 12" x 6" x 74") and 190cm (30cm x 15cm x 203cm / 12" x 6" x 80").
The Dakine Low Roller comes in 3 lengths; 157cm (30cm x 15cm x 170cm / 12" x 6" x 67"), 165cm (30cm x 15cm x 178cm / 12" x 6" x 70") and 175cm (30cm x 15cm x 188cm / 12" x 6" x 74").

Now the Dakine Fall Line is a well made snowboard/ski bag. Its construction, fit, finish and full padded interior other than above the wheel frame are very close to the same as the Burton Wheelie Gig. The bag has the same denier of 600D on the external fabric with the additional usage of bluesign® approved material. It feels pretty similar in its construction strength.

I have attached a video overview from Dakine going over the features of the Dakine Fall Line bag.

Automotive tire Rectangle Branch Wood Grey

The Dakine Fall Line has a rectangular shape which differs from the tapered shaped of the Burton Wheelie Gig. So its height of 20cm is the same from tip to tail throughout its length giving slightly more internal front and rear volume. However at 30cm wide the Dakine Fall Line is 3cm narrower than the Wheelie Gig with a total internal volume of 112 litres. You will be able to see this difference with wider width men's boards.

There is no internal buckles on the Dakine Fall Line to strap your ski/snowboard into the base. The internal waterproof nylon fabric feels pretty strong but not as heavy in Denier as the Burton Wheelie Gig. This difference though feels only minor but is noticeable.

Grille Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

Above is a 166W Burton Custom within the Dakine Fall Line and you can see it sits in pretty nice with around 5cm extra length either side. You can also see the difference in the zipper positioning of the Fall line which doesn't go to the edges tip and tail like the Burton Wheelie Gig.

The Fall Line roller bag has an actual net weight (unladen) of 2.8kg (6.2 lbs) @ 175cm.

Luggage and bags Textile Sleeve Bag Bumper

The Dakine Fall Line has a zippered external pocket up near the handle which is in a pretty handy position for accessing any items close to the handle end rather than the central area of the Burton Wheelie Gig. Dakine have been a bit cheaper here than Burton as the rear inner liner of the pocket is only the thin internal membrane unlike a pocket layered on top like the Burton Wheelie Gig. The main compartment area is accessed also by 2 bi-directional heavy duty zips with added padlock ability. The zipper ends on the Dakine Fall Line are not as high in finish quality than that of the Burton Wheelie Gig which are rubber coated for grip and a heavier gauged metal.

Brown Luggage and bags Bag Rectangle Tints and shades

The nylon roller wheels in the Dakine Fall Line are larger than the Burton Wheelie Gig but are tucked slightly inside the chassis as opposed to being on the perimeter of the Burton. They glide pretty nicely over flat terrain. The base has 2 nylon protection strips that run up from the rear to help prevent damage to the lower are of the bag.

Luggage and bags Bag Outdoor shoe Pattern Fashion accessory

The carry handle of the Dakine Fall Line roller bag has an integrated Velcro strap built into the carry handle to tie onto the telescopic handle of you luggage roller bag.

Automotive lighting Bag Luggage and bags Grey Automotive exterior

The nylon internal layer also Velcro over the rear chassis exoskeleton for protection. There are 2 axles that lock into the chassis frame from each side of the bag. You can see here that the structure and materials in the internal wheel frame assembly don't look or feel as strong as that in the Burton Wheelie Gig.

Textile Bag Art Motor vehicle Wood

The Dakine Fall Line does not have a shoulder strap like the Burton Wheelie Gig. You can see the carry handles are not in the same league as the ones on the Burton Wheelie Gig being just a shaped 50mm nylon handle. The Identification port does not have a flap and is exposed with a slide in access for the identification sleeve. Dakine have done a good design here with the handle as they have sewn it into a join in the fabric which will create a strength point under weighted carrying load. The Burton Wheelie Gigs handle is built and double stitched into the side and can load up under weight stress.

From 2018 onward, Burton have built a different carry hand which is build into the integrated sash straps in the bag.

Bag Luggage and bags Automotive lighting Gas Bumper

The Dakine Fall Line comes with one Boot Bag that can tie into the internal structure of the bag. They are made of the same nylon lining fabric as the bag and zip up to protect your boots and board/ski in transit. The boot bag is slightly larger than the Burtons but the Denier does not feel as strong. They comfortably take a large boot size with the one above having my Burton SLX US13 within. However you don't get a Boot bag with a Wheelie Gig as they only come with the higher priced Burton Wheelie Locker of Board Case. so this is a plus here for the Dakine Fall Line.

So the Dakine Fall Line is a pretty good snowboard/ski bag that will capably be able to handle your Domestic/International travels. However, it just feels a slight bit off the pace, just that little bit under the quality level of the Burton Wheelie Gig. In my mind it's sort of like being the Brides Maid and not the Bride. Now sometimes this can be a good thing......, but here, it clearly isn't. It's definitely up there in the top end of the wheeled travel bags.

A solid 4 stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
❄ Burton Wheelie Gig V Dakine Fall Line Snowboard/Ski Bag Review (Part 3).

Luggage and bags Automotive tire Bag Gadget Grass

Here is the Burton Wheelie Gig and Dakine Fall Line snowboaard/ski bags laid up side by side. You can again see the superiority of Burton's carry straps in comparison as well as the rear solid one piece axle chassis structure of the Wheelie Gig to the 2 piece Dakine Fall Line.

Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system Rim

It's easy to notice the difference in the 60mm diameter wheel size of the Burton Wheelie Gig to the Dakine's Fall Line 97mm wheel size diameter. The bigger wheels of the Fall Line allow far smoother movement across Airport Terminals and over uneven terrain however the unprotected centre is exposed to sharp edge damage. The solid nylon rear end cap across the entire width of the Wheelie Gig protects this area from damage which it needs due to the lower profile IXION wheels. The centre Nylon slides on the Fall Line are a great Idea as you can see the slight wear marks in the material above the right axle of the Burton Wheelie Gig.

Sleeve Bumper Font Auto part Sportswear

The contoured tapered shape of the Burton Wheelie Gigs 14cm tail progressing to a 21cm height through the central binding areas looks pretty nice. The Dakine Fall Line on the other hand has a completely rectangular shape with a constant 20cm height from tip to tail throughout its length. This gives the Dakine Fall Line a lot of extra packing volume in the front and rear tips of the bag.

Hood Grey Sleeve Automotive exterior Automotive lighting

Now what a wheelie bag is really all about is moving all your snowboarding/ski hardware/outerwear domestically/International via public transport or aircraft. So when traveling overseas it is important to pack everything so it's well protected. Here I have packed our Wheelie Gig bags for Japan. There are 3 boards layered up in this Wheelie Gig bag 166 each in their individual Burton Board Sack bag. This protects each snowboard from being damaged by rubbing against each other and also give some additional padding to each layer. I'm not bad on the sewing machine and quickly overlockered up some binding bags for each of our bindings we take away. This also gives them added protection from scratching and breakage. You could use an old pillow slip to achieve the same.

Product Sleeve Electric blue Tints and shades Linens

The above Burton Wheelie Gig 156 has 2 boards and a set of snow skis broken down and layered up along with wife's ski boots, a set of Genesis bindings and the ski bindings stacked on top. I then fill any empty areas on the bag with lightweight EPE (expanded polyethylene) package foam I've saved from snowboard deliveries.

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Automotive tire Bag

And this is what it's all about with owning a wheeled snowboard travel bag......, heading to the Powder.

Snow Plant Slope Tree Ice cap

Both these wheelie board bags are priced identically the same here in Australia with the Burton being slightly more expensive in USA.

Snow Sports equipment Slope Snowboarding Helmet

Now to pick a winner here. They are both very close..., but the Wheelie Gig bag is just that little bit better in quality, internal denier, design and materials than the Dakine Fall Line.

Burton Wheelie Gig ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Dakine Fall Line ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐

1 - 3 of 3 Posts