Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been snowboarding a handful of times using rental boards and have a great time everytime other than the yearning for a board other than a crappy rental! This year i am getting my first board. I mostly just carved down the slopes and hit small jumps here and there. Always wanted to go into the parks but never felt confident enough with the rental equipment. I have decided on the 2011 k2 raygun. Seems like a good all mtn board capable of carving and jumping into the park. My only decision now is what size to get. I know its mostly personal preference but i could use a little guidence.. I though about going with the 153cm so it would be shorter for the park but someone told me that it may be to short for me (I am 5'10, 155 lbs) when it comes to hitting the jumps, which i plan to do alot of as i get more practice. Now i am trying to decide between the 156 and 160? Went to a shop today and held a 156, sits right under my chin hair. Someone told me that is a general guide to go by but for jumps that i may want to go a little longer, maybe the 160? Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I have been snowboarding a handful of times using rental boards and have a great time everytime other than the yearning for a board other than a crappy rental! This year i am getting my first board. I mostly just carved down the slopes and hit small jumps here and there. Always wanted to go into the parks but never felt confident enough with the rental equipment. I have decided on the 2011 k2 raygun. Seems like a good all mtn board capable of carving and jumping into the park. My only decision now is what size to get. I know its mostly personal preference but i could use a little guidence.. I though about going with the 153cm so it would be shorter for the park but someone told me that it may be to short for me (I am 5'10, 155 lbs) when it comes to hitting the jumps, which i plan to do alot of as i get more practice. Now i am trying to decide between the 156 and 160? Went to a shop today and held a 156, sits right under my chin hair. Someone told me that is a general guide to go by but for jumps that i may want to go a little longer, maybe the 160? Any advice is appreciated, thanks.
Means NOTHING. It's weight, not height.

and a 160 park board is HUGE, especially at 155lbs

who the hell is giving you advice? they are complete morons.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I'm am the same exact size and weight...weird. Anyway, I ride a 154. It's quite a bit park though.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
153-156. Ignore your height, it's all about weight.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I think you should definitely only consider the 153 or 156. I'm 5-10 pounds heavier than you and ride a 153 Neversummer Sl. I feel very stable on it at high speeds, and while my board is a bit stiffer than the Raygun that should give you some indication.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
haha, well i figured the guy didnt know what he was talkin about, thats why i came here :) I mentioned to him i planned to hit some jumps and thats what caused him to say a 156 to 160. But if a 153 can do the job jump and speed wise then i may go with that. I would get the 156 but i have a feeling i may get hooked onto the park after a few runs!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Means NOTHING. It's weight, not height.

and a 160 park board is HUGE, especially at 155lbs

who the hell is giving you advice? they are complete morons.
While I somewhat agree both have some impact. A taller person has a higher center of gravity than a smaller person of the same weight and also in a very generic sense height is somewhat representative of a standard persons weight. It also depends on where you are snowboarding. I am 6'2 and about 175 Pounds and I just picked up a 159 board. I will hopefully be riding some thick pow in Japan so opted for a slightly longer board, otherwise I would have picked the 156, if I was for example to be riding the slush they call snow in Australia.

I would recommend between 153-156 depending on the sort of snow you are expecting, but I am only a beginner just going off what I learnt prior to buying my own board.
Goodluck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts