Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last season was my 15th season and I decided to really step it up a notch and push myself and my riding to it's limits and then some. I want to keep my momentum and work on some skills training through the summer. I know I can do some foam roller work with a skate deck but what are some other exercises both actual exercises and technique things that you do?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Last season was my 15th season and I decided to really step it up a notch and push myself and my riding to it's limits and then some. I want to keep my momentum and work on some skills training through the summer. I know I can do some foam roller work with a skate deck but what are some other exercises both actual exercises and technique things that you do?
While the longboarding will be helpful for sure, if you get a regular skate deck and go to your local skate park that has transition/vert and just learn to skate that, it will exponentially help your snowboarding. If you can ride tranny, vert and drop in on tranny on a skateboard, snowboarding is pretty simple after that. ( learn to do it all switch as well )

·
Registered
905 Posts
I just bought my first ever skateboard and I'm teaching myself. Not gonna lie, Knaptons little video inspired me...i better be as good as him by next season...

Some make fun of it but yoga does so much for snowboarding...so...much. Core/leg strength, balance, agility, breathing. all improved by even semi-regular practice. Plus I lost like 30 pounds when I started doing it a year ago.

I'm thinking tae kwon do or hapkido would be good martial arts for snowboard attributes..but thats just in my head

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I do a little HIIT body weight leg routine that I'm pretty sure helps a lot, especially as I'm getting older. I mix it up but Sumo jump squats, single leg Romanian deads and pistol squats are no joke. You will feel the burn.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I do kettle bell workouts and yoga. The kettle is more of a circuit course with one weight and lots of squats mixed in. Great core and thigh blasting with some aerobic for good measure. But if you have poor form, you’ll fuck up your back for few days. Ha.

Now is the time. If you wait til October it’ll be like starting all over—finally in snowboard shape in March.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ride a longboard and once in a while ride switch. Wake surfing if you have the means.
Thankfully with a blown head gasket in my Suburu longboarding has been my main means of transportation lol.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
While the longboarding will be helpful for sure, if you get a regular skate deck and go to your local skate park that has transition/vert and just learn to skate that, it will exponentially help your snowboarding. If you can ride tranny, vert and drop in on tranny on a skateboard, snowboarding is pretty simple after that. ( learn to do it all switch as well )
I'll have to get on the skate deck and hit the park for sure

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Yeah skateboarding! Here's what I do:

Get back into skateboarding after a long time not doing it, get speed wobbles while riding down a large hill on your old Santa Cruz Rob Roskopp board with the Gullwing trucks because fuck you it's sick and you're not getting a new deck until tomorrow anyway, try to run it out before realizing you can't run at 25-30 mph, tear your ACL. Give your wife the finger when she tells you she knew you shouldn't have done that. Go to urgent care but don't get an expensive MRI because those are for wimps with money, but just try to strengthen the "sprained" knee instead. Keep skateboarding on the weak knee and re-injure it a few months later. Give your wife the finger again when she says the same thing as last time and throws the Rob Roskopp board in the trash even though you were riding the new board this time. Four years later while snowboarding with a buddy on an easy blue run, hit a mogul and feel a pop in your knee. Get the MRI, find out you've been living with no ACL for four years, and your miniscus is also torn. Have ACL reconstruction surgery. Go to physical therapy twice a week and learn to walk again after not putting weight on your leg for two months.

Or yoga, that could work too. Only problem I've had there is finding Lululemon yoga shorts where you can't see my junk through a see-through panel.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Lifting will help, especially if you do a silly amount of leg work.

Also, yoga, especially if there's some balance work.

If you have access to a trampoline, you can practice the movements for 180s and 360s, grabs, all sorts of stuff.

·
Registered
905 Posts

Get back into skateboarding after a long time not doing it, get speed wobbles while riding down a large hill on your old Santa Cruz Rob Roskopp board with the Gullwing trucks because fuck you it's sick and you're not getting a new deck until tomorrow anyway, try to run it out before realizing you can't run at 25-30 mph, tear your ACL. Give your wife the finger when she tells you she knew you shouldn't have done that. Go to urgent care but don't get an expensive MRI because those are for wimps with money, but just try to strengthen the "sprained" knee instead. Keep skateboarding on the weak knee and re-injure it a few months later. Give your wife the finger again when she says the same thing as last time and throws the Rob Roskopp board in the trash even though you were riding the new board this time. Four years later while snowboarding with a buddy on an easy blue run, hit a mogul and feel a pop in your knee. Get the MRI, find out you've been living with no ACL for four years, and your miniscus is also torn. Have ACL reconstruction surgery. Go to physical therapy twice a week and learn to walk again after not putting weight on your leg for two months.

Or yoga, that could work too. Only problem I've had there is finding Lululemon yoga shorts where you can't see my junk through a see-through panel.

Do every single thing stated in the post that i just quoted.

·
Registered
356 Posts

Ha. Best post I’ve read in a while. I’ll try to think of it every time I see the skate park and reminisce.

BTW it was my “always right” wife who bought me the yoga DVDs.

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
BTW it was my ?always right? wife who bought me the yoga DVDs.
I have a Baron Baptiste Yoga instructional DVD that appeared for me one day from a yoga instructor I might be married to. So I put it on, rolled out my extra big yoga mat, and the hit play. Thirty seconds in there Baron is in all of his probably-famous-in-circles-I'm-not-part-of glory, and he says,

"And of course, I'm Baron Baptise. <condescending cough/snort>"

I didn't make it past that point because the whole thing seemed so absurd and I couldn't stop laughing.

I've tried yoga, and it seems great but bores me to tears.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I have a Baron Baptiste Yoga instructional DVD that appeared for me one day from a yoga instructor I might be married to. So I put it on, rolled out my extra big yoga mat, and the hit play. Thirty seconds in there Baron is in all of his probably-famous-in-circles-I'm-not-part-of glory, and he says,

I didn't make it past that point because the whole thing seemed so absurd and I couldn't stop laughing.

I had to check out a couple of studios before I found one that didn’t bore me. He spiritual aspect doesn’t really do much for me so I needed to find a place where that part is minimal. The place is kinda douchey but effective!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Gotta find the right yoga for you brother, there are a bunch of different styles and some are vastly different from others. I primarily mix yoga into my bodyweight routine. I call it power yoga.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts