Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings everyone!

I am elated to have very recently discovered this informative forum! I am trying to learn how to penguin walk. My current penguin walk, rather than it being, for instance, a nice smooth transition of weight from one foot to the other while being probably mostly up on the toe (front) edge, in order to nicely resemble a smooth, almost effortless, running motion, … No. Instead for me, unfortunately at the present time, I find that my penguin walk appears more like I am almost “hopping”, that is, in order to transition my weight from one foot to the other in my pseudo-attempt to "penguin walk".

I am reasoning that this “hopping” of mine is possibly because I do not yet have enough skill and balance to maintain my balance more on the front (toe) edge of the board like I probably should. (?)

This past snowboarding season I tried to practice my penguin walk a little bit each time I went to the slopes. But this, unfortunately, current hopping motion of mine, during my dubious attempt at “penguin walk”, I find soon becomes strenuous and exhaustive. It’s currently a lot of work for me.

This apparently up-and-down choppy hopping motion of mine unfortunately becomes even more pronounced or exaggerated when I attempt to penguin walk while going up an incline.

Therefore, I am wondering if me possibly practicing my penguin walk on a balance board, now, during the off-season, if I would find that this would subsequently improve my penguin walk when I go to the snowy slopes again for our soon-to-be approaching upcoming season?

FYI. I recently discovered ... From 1:36 to 1:43 within the below short video (total running time of 1:58) from Snowboard Addiction, there is a guy practicing the penguin walk on a balance board.

How To Penguin Walk On A Snowboard

I am just really wondering if practicing the penguin walk on a balance board, on a dry wooden (or carpeted) floor, as shown within the video, will really prepare someone for doing the penguin walk when they finally get to the snow. (?) For example, like comparing apples and oranges, inside wood or carpeted flooring seems to me to be a totally different realm or environment as compared to snow. Thus, I have my doubts if practicing on one would necessarily improve the other. (?)

What do you all think? 😊

Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much.

The best to all,
Greetings!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Rip154,

Thank you for your reply to me. I need some clarification from you, please. Please find three questions from me, below.

1. Do you have experience using the balance board from Snowboard Addiction, as I indicated at the 1:36 mark within their video?

2. Or, perhaps you would recommend another balance board to me? If so, which one?

3. Do you, yourself, actually have experience, or, you personally know of someone, who has practiced penguin walk on a balance board, and it subsequently helped their penguin walk on the snow?

Thank you very much for your help.

Take good care,
Greetings!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Using a balance board would probably be beneficial for snowboarding. I think overall fitness, flexibility, core and leg strength training is more important.

Not sure why you need to penguin walk at all? Can't think of any reason to do it.

Sent from my SM-A015T1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Using a balance board would probably be beneficial for snowboarding. I think overall fitness, flexibility, core and leg strength training is more important.

Not sure why you need to penguin walk at all? Can't think of any reason to do it.

Really? There aren't any flat spots on your mountain that you ever stop?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Hello Rip154,

Thank you for your reply to me. I need some clarification from you, please. Please find three questions from me, below.

1. Do you have experience using the balance board from Snowboard Addiction, as I indicated at the 1:36 mark within their video?

2. Or, perhaps you would recommend another balance board to me? If so, which one?

3. Do you, yourself, actually have experience, or, you personally know of someone, who has practiced penguin walk on a balance board, and it subsequently helped their penguin walk on the snow?

Thank you very much for your help.

Take good care,
Greetings!
Greetings Greetings!

1. no
2. no
3. no

I don’t recommend it much at all, but it’s something you don’t have to train for other than trying it out on snow a few times before you do it. You can’t always use it either, depending on board and conditions or people watching.

Balance boards can be fun, but don’t waste time training for the penguin walk olympics.

Pro tip for when it gets slow is to step off your board, have a stretch, pop a can and yell fuck off to the next skier who passes you. Then just pick up your board and walk slowly away from the flats and avoid it in the future.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes there're flat spots at most mountains. If I hit flat spots I go as fast as possible before hand. I'd then rather unstrap and skate or hike if it's any distance at all. If it's real short then yea I'll 'penguin walk' but that happens maybe once or twice a season for 10 feet?? if at all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Greetings to ... rip154, suntaimatty, smellysell, and eivind sa klart!

I greatly appreciate all of your responses to me.

I enjoyed reading the advice from Eivind sa klart where he mentioned, "Dude ... just tape your board up and practice on a lawn or something." Great advice. I would imagine that if I did not tape up my board when practicing on the lawn, as you are probably inferring as well, my board would otherwise get very scratched-up from the dirt, grass, small stones, etc. that can be found on the lawn.

I live just two blocks away from a sandy beach (loose granular sand). I am now considering to tape up my board and go over to the sandy beach to practice penguin walking since I would imagine that the loose granular sand would more closely emulate the powdery snow found on the slopes, as opposed to a firm grass lawn would.

Eivind sa klart, or anyone, any thoughts to practicing the penguin walk while on a sandy beach?

Some of you inferred the unnecessary desire to penguin walk. Here are some reasons or possible justifications for you. 😊

1. It’s another great (as well as fun) skill or routine to be able to put into your “list of things to do when snowboarding”.

2. As expressed within the Snowboard Addiction video, and makes total sense to me, Penguin walking is a great drill in order to improve your skills for buttering as well as overall skill at snowboarding. The coordination learned and employed in order to Penguin Walk would be transferrable for other facets of snowboarding.

3. It looks good (when done correctly). Unlike the choppy, hopping-style, that I have when I do the penguin walk, especially when I am penguin walking while going uphill, instead, when it’s done right, it looks very smooth, effortlessly graceful, a.k.a. very esthetically pleasing.

4. Convenience. … When done right, it appears to be very energy conserving as you gracefully “run” across the snow in order to get to your destination without otherwise having to inconveniently unstrap.

The best to all,
Greetings!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hello Rip154,

Not knowing what you are referring to, when I google "bluetooth controlled snowboard troll", I get a video on
The Troll Project : Full Video | TransWorld SNOWboarding

as well as links to other videos and websites.

Were you making a joke? :)

Unfortunately, I am probably not as computer literate as most people on this forum.

·
Registered
134 Posts
When I run into flats (and dont have enough speed), I unstrap while moving, skate few kicks and strap in while moving. Easy, fast and saves energy because I dont stop at all.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Yes there're flat spots at most mountains. If I hit flat spots I go as fast as possible before hand. I'd then rather unstrap and skate or hike if it's any distance at all. If it's real short then yea I'll 'penguin walk' but that happens maybe once or twice a season for 10 feet?? if at all.

Gotcha, I penguin walk away from where I strap in more often than anywhere else. Also one hill you have to bomb over to get to a side lift that depending on conditions sometimes can make it and sometimes can't. Would rather penguin walk a little bit than unstrap, but to each their own.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Think it'll get more popular than cross-country skiing? 🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🥇
400m penguin walk relay could be fun. Problem is theres so much paddling involved that the International Kanoe Federation would govern it for sure, and that means it would be in the summer olympics? Dresscode: Speedos and bikinis?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Greetings everyone!

I greatly appreciate the recent helpful comments within the last couple of days from kieloa, bazman, smellysell, Manicmouse, and Rip154.

Much gratitude to bazman for openly agreeing with Eivind så klart's suggestion to me to tape up my board and to then proceed to practice the penguin walk outside.

I look forward to trying this idea out when I will sometime within the near future go to the nearby sandy beach with my board (which I will pre-tape up ahead of time).

Take good care, everyone!
Greetings!

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Greetings everyone!

I greatly appreciate the recent helpful comments within the last couple of days from kieloa, bazman, smellysell, Manicmouse, and Rip154.

Much gratitude to bazman for openly agreeing with Eivind så klart's suggestion to me to tape up my board and to then proceed to practice the penguin walk outside.

I look forward to trying this idea out when I will sometime within the near future go to the nearby sandy beach with my board (which I will pre-tape up ahead of time).

Take good care, everyone!
Greetings!
IF you do this, you will HAVE to put in on tape so the forums members can participate in the development in this future olympic sport;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts