Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, in 2 weeks I have an evaluation to become a snowboard patrolman. I'd like to think I'm a pretty decent rider, but I have to be able to do the following and I'm sure I can do them but I just want to confirm and know for sure what all these are:

CANDIDATE SCREENING EVALUATION SNOWBOARDING:
-Wide Radius Turns
-Medium Radius Turns
-Short Radius Turns (Minimum 3 turns on Six Shooter in a specified distance) <Six Shooter is a local double black diamond run, I bomb down it pretty easily>
-Crud Riding
-Falling Leaf/ Toe Side & Heel Side
-Snow Plow (Straight Line Toe Side & Heel Side Stop between 2 poles)
-Traverse Up Hill (One Foot Clipped In)
-Frog Hop (Both Feet Clipped In)

Really appreciate it

·
Registered
188 Posts
snowprofessor has all that on the videos, never seen anyone do a frog hop every.. but i've been proven wrong before...

·
Registered
539 Posts
-Wide Radius Turns - Turns using probably the whole width of the turn or probably at least 50 feet wide
-Medium Radius Turns - Turns using probably half of a run to a third of a run. Probably about 25 feet wide
-Short Radius Turns (Minimum 3 turns on Six Shooter in a specified distance) <Six Shooter is a local double black diamond run, I bomb down it pretty easily> Turns probably using a fourth of a run or about 10 feet or less wide
-Crud Riding Explains it self, really choppy can you stay on your feet and in control
-Falling Leaf/ Toe Side & Heel Side - Traverseing across the hill switching up you lead foot.(i.e. think how a leaf falls from a tree swing back and forth)
-Snow Plow (Straight Line Toe Side & Heel Side Stop between 2 poles) This will be for moving a sled for sure. Basically ride one edge down a corridor the length of your board.
-Traverse Up Hill (One Foot Clipped In) - Can you say Ice Pick? Just be able to walk up hill with out falling backwards or sliding.
-Frog Hop (Both Feet Clipped In) - This sounds like just hopping up hill with both feet bound in.

Good Luck on your try out.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I just had an evaluation for "ski" patrol last weekend at my local "mountain". Basically, they took me for a ride around the mountain and come to think of it, I did pretty much most things on that list. The dude I was riding with didn't come out and say "do this", but he'd pretty much set it up and I'd follow. gjsnowboarder pretty much described everything on that list, but one thing I'll add is when you're asked to do "falling leaf", do it really short and narrow. Basically it was described to me as what you'd want to do when hauling a sled.

Anyway, good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts