Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

We are intermediate riders who like powdery bowls, tree runs and cruising. Not into park. Will do the occasional black run but prefer cruising on the blue runs or no run at all.

We are coming to the US Feb/Mar 2014 and trying to find the best places for us to snowboard.

Firstly we've been told to stay away from any ski resort on Presidents Week so we will start the weekend after, for 2 weeks.

Our neighbour has relatives in SLC so he is raving about Utah snow (although he doesn't ski or board).

We are used to going to a resort and staying ski-in ski-out for 5-7 days at the one place. Then you can ride all day and just crash at night after a good feed. This doesn't seem to be the go from what I've read about Utah?

So do people hire a car and drive to different resorts each day from SLC? It sounds like most resorts are too small to stay at and have a reasonable choice of accommodation and dinner...

So far we like the sound of Brighton, Solitude, Snowbasin and Canyons...

Other choice is week in Utah, week in California (Mammoth or Heavenly?).

Advice would be lovely...thanks

·
Registered
756 Posts
In my humble opinion...

Hit Snowbird, Brighton, then Snowbasin and The Canyons. It's roughly a 30-1:30 drive to all those resorts from downtown SLC. Downtown SLC is pretty lame compared to real cities but it can be fun. You can stay slope-side at any of those resorts, just not much going there. Hopefully some guys from Utah will chime in, I just visit there sometimes.

Can't say much about Cali, I went to heavenly once and I thought it sucked. pretty views though.

No Colorado love?

·
Banned
1,966 Posts
I you are really going to CA, pretty much anything around Tahoe is better than Heavenly (other than for the partying).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm yeh might need to consider Colorado. We like the vibe of staying in a village slope side and this seems more likely in Colorado than Utah. We aren't huge party people but still like varied restaurant choices and a quiet drink at the pub.

Not too keen on driving, wrong side of the road for us plus never driven in snow ourselves! Plus get car sick so once up the windy roads is preferable rather than every day!

Have you got any Colorado recommendations...tree runs, powdery bowls, not fussed on park...nice village vibe?

:confused:

·
Veteran Member
11,555 Posts
For full on resort town. Steamboat, Park City, Breckenridge, Vail, South Lake Tahoe, Aspen, Telluride, and many others not mentioned.

Personally, if you got some hook ups for Salt Lake City, you should go. They have one of the higher snowfall areas in the US. So your chances of hitting some powder are a little higher there. Stellar terrain. I have never had a bad time riding there. If you got to be based by a resort just stay in Park City. Plenty to keep you entertained there.

·
Registered
33 Posts
As killclimbz said, Park City, and Canyons in particular will give you slope side lodging in UT.

Another option in CO is Keystone, it's walkable and has shuttles to other parts of Summit County (Breckenridge) and ABasin. Also has night skiing if you're into that sort of thing. You could still snag a season pass and save on $100/day lift tickets:
Keystone Season Pass | A-Basin Season Pass | EpicPass.com

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
Abasin is nothing close to what he is looking for. Keystone sure.

Killz has the best list so far. Jackson hole is also another to consider. Also since your coming from far away you should consider Whistler BC.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I've been looking into Telluride. Maybe a bit pricier than what we normally go but hey if we're flying all the way from Perth why not! Pretty good reviews on the terrain too.

Sounds like snow can be a bit hit or miss though...Tempted to wait and see what the season is like. What's the latest you guys would book? Can you still get accommodation if you leave it late or will we pay through the nose and/or get a dive? Plus flights from LA to Montrose are $100pp with Allegiant Air...don't know if it goes crazy closer to the season.

We're warming up to driving to Utah resorts and staying in SLC...

Had a couple of weeks in Whistler and Big White a couple of years back, unreal. We like trying new places though.

Trying to fit a sneaky couple a days in at Tahoe too. Going to visit San Fran and Yosemite and Tahoe looks pretty doable from there!

·
Banned
257 Posts
wasnt mentioned by squaw valley is nice. also, if you go noorth you could try stevens pass. awesome, awesome place

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
Stevens Pass? Really?

Lot's of ski in ski out lodging there.

Not...
Funny how people still do this.....oof.

If you have the Cash and are doing the experience, I suggest staying at the mountain. SLC town is fun, but you really have to know where you are going and why. Utah resorts are the most reliable for snow in NAmerica, aside from maybe the Pac NW. Staying in Park City will provide the most fun "Town experience." There is transportation to and from the airport if you don't want to rent a car. (I always suggest renting a car, though...I like the freedom.) If you want to stay at the mountain and are ok with a low-key mountain experience....stay at Solitude or Snowbird. Different places....snowbird has more on and off-mountain stuff.

Tahoe is always a good option. Staying in South Lake is cash-friendly, and Heavenly is good for one day of riding. From there you could also get to places like Kirkwood (a must visit) and Sierra at Tahoe. Unfortunately it is 80 mins from reno airport.

Jackson Hole and Aspen are also great options......bigger/busier mountain towns than the SLC resort areas.

My Suggestion: If you are traveling with a few friends who are ambitious......

Buy the Mountain Collective....Google it
Fly into Aspen.....Ride Aspen...Drive to SLC..Ride Snowbird.....Drive to JHole....Drive to Tahoe to ride Squaw.....Ride a Day at Homewood for the Lake View (Not a huge mountain but great views).....wander down to Yosemite...be sure to take-in one of the old Oak Forrests AND obviously the waterfalls in the Valley....then enjoy SF. You can Stay Slopeside at all of these resorts. Break the Bank.....it is worth it!!!!

You may need an extra few days to hit this, but it is totally doable in your 2 week window!

EDIT:
Revisiting your posts...I think you'd be good with 4/5 days in Utah, then doing California.....4/5 in Tahoe taking the drive to Yosemite for a day or two then hitting SF. Half Moon Bay is a good little day trip from SF, too. Real good Hostels out that way.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
So I've been looking into Telluride. Maybe a bit pricier than what we normally go but hey if we're flying all the way from Perth why not! Pretty good reviews on the terrain too.
Spent a little over a week there this past March, absolutely loved the mountain and the town(s). Staying in Mountain Village will be more expensive that staying in Telluride. We stayed at the Telluride Mountainside Inn. I think it was about 95.00 a night. It's about a 5 minute walk down to the free gondola. You can either take all the way to Mountain Village (about 15 minute ride) or if you already have your lift tickets you can get off at the halfway point and start your day that way. There's also 2 other lifts that start in the town of Telluride.

Regarding the timing of late feb/march, we got there March 2nd and everything was open including the gold hill chutes, palmyra and black iron bowl. If you fly into Montrose just take the shuttle to town and back to the (very small) airport when you leave, it's about an hour and a half but not sure what the price would be for a group. We went with the Telluride Express shuttle.

There's no need for a car in Telluride.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Funny how people still do this.....oof.

My Suggestion: If you are traveling with a few friends who are ambitious......

Buy the Mountain Collective....Google it
Fly into Aspen.....Ride Aspen...Drive to SLC..Ride Snowbird.....Drive to JHole....Drive to Tahoe to ride Squaw.....Ride a Day at Homewood for the Lake View (Not a huge mountain but great views).....wander down to Yosemite...be sure to take-in one of the old Oak Forrests AND obviously the waterfalls in the Valley....then enjoy SF. You can Stay Slopeside at all of these resorts. Break the Bank.....it is worth it!!!!

You may need an extra few days to hit this, but it is totally doable in your 2 week window!

That's a lot of driving and takes away from the riding aspect of the trip, imo.

Come out to Utah and get rowdy. One place no one mentioned was powder mountain. From the terrain you said you liked to ride look it up. It is super fun. Also, it didn't seem like you liked super steep stuff to ride? Snowbird and JH are both pretty steep mountains.

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
Meh. It is a ton of driving, but it would be one helluva story to take back home with them. Quite a spread of things to see, why not get the variety if they can swing it.

Come out to Utah and get rowdy. One place no one mentioned was powder mountain.
Rowdy and Powder Mountain should not be used in conjunction! There is usually a reason why nobody mentions Pow Mow. It kinda blows. It is remote, sleepy, (neither of which are too bad) lay-out blows, provisions are thin, and it is full of Ogdenites or the new community of Yupsters.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Sorry to hijack here but i'm interested in something similar. What are the crowds usually like at Jackson Hole? I've heard people say its usually empty, but others say it gets out of control. Whats the go? Anyone spent a season here?

·
Registered
520 Posts
In my humble opinion...

Hit Snowbird, Brighton, then Snowbasin and The Canyons. It's roughly a 30-1:30 drive to all those resorts from downtown SLC. Downtown SLC is pretty lame compared to real cities but it can be fun. You can stay slope-side at any of those resorts, just not much going there. Hopefully some guys from Utah will chime in, I just visit there sometimes.

Can't say much about Cali, I went to heavenly once and I thought it sucked. pretty views though.

No Colorado love?
The fuck would you suggest those? The Canyons? Snowbird I didn't fucking enjoy At ALL. It's such a skiers resort the entire fucking thing is cat tracks.

I'd hit Brighton, Solitude, PMCC or the Canyons, Snowbasin, and wherever else is getting snow blasted. You can def stay in Park City for ski in/out, and the party scene there is fucking fun.

·
Registered
520 Posts

Come out to Utah and get rowdy. One place no one mentioned was powder mountain. From the terrain you said you liked to ride look it up. It is super fun. Also, it didn't seem like you liked super steep stuff to ride? Snowbird and JH are both pretty steep mountains.
I really can't state how much I dislike Snowbird. I regret even going there because my money supported Alta which can burn down for all I care. Steep, icy, really fucking wide and not in a fun way. Just ugh.

·
Registered
756 Posts
The fuck would you suggest those? The Canyons? Snowbird I didn't fucking enjoy At ALL. It's such a skiers resort the entire fucking thing is cat tracks.

I'd hit Brighton, Solitude, PMCC or the Canyons, Snowbasin, and wherever else is getting snow blasted. You can def stay in Park City for ski in/out, and the party scene there is fucking fun.
I suggested three of ones you said you'd hit? :dunno:

Snowbird is awesome if you've never hit it before. If it wasn't on a powder day I wouldn't go, but it's steep and has fun terrain! If your a groomer cruiser you wouldn't care for it much I guess. Brighton had a way better vibe though, I'll agree with that!
I don't think I spent much time on cat tracks at Snowbird at all, just used them to launch off of into the bowls.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts