Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I read this just now and I really do hope that snowboard equipment come in line with US pricing.

Budget 2013: Don’t spit tobacco, get off your butt and shoot clay pigeons instead

However, I'm skeptical this move will help promote healthy living because usually it's a life choice that people want to do. I'm not convinced lower prices on equipment will motivate those who chose not to engage in physical activity. However, this will encourage Canadians to shop locally for sporting equipment.

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
I read this just now and I really do hope that snowboard equipment come in line with US pricing.

However, I'm skeptical this move will help promote healthy living because usually it's a life choice that people want to do. I'm not convinced lower prices on equipment will motivate those who chose not to engage in physical activity. However, this will encourage Canadians to shop locally for sporting equipment.
Yeah, I noticed that yesterday in some of the Budget highlights. Didn't know it was coming into effect as of April 1st!!! I was very surprised when I ordered a snowboard from Germany, only to have about 7% duty added onto it a couple months ago. I've almost always bought products from the states which of course has no duty, so jacking up an already expensive board sucked.

For me it means I'll likely replace my current board with another German one, instead of looking for cheaper alternatives.

Funny thing is my neighbour and I were talking the other day, and I said "I think all sports equipment should be a tax write off"... Well this isn't quite that generous, but it's still better than nothing. I say good on them... But I'd still like to see any sporting related expense be eligible for a tax credit (gym membership, personal trainer fees, sports equipment, etc.).

You couldn't allow a credit on hotels, food or fuel to get to and from the hill, because none of that proves you actually board. But the equipment, lift tickets, rentals and lessons could be worth a credit!!! :yahoo:

I think people will do anything they think they're getting a bargain on. I reno'd my basement during the home reno eco action plan of 2009 or so. Worked out great for me and I'm sure my work helped "stimulate the economy" lol

·
Premium Member
4,499 Posts
Prices are set by the manufacturer and distributors.

When K2 sells a board for $400 in the US and Canada, it's because K2 said so.

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
Prices are set by the manufacturer and distributors.

When K2 sells a board for $400 in the US and Canada, it's because K2 said so.
Agreed, however there is duty added to certain products brought into Canada. I didn't realize that the US can buy snowboards duty free from Germany, while we pay 7+% on them. You think the manufacturers are going to eat that cost, or pass them on to us?

·
Resident Snowman
609 Posts
At first I was excited about this. The GF wants the new NS Infinity ... then I realized since it is US made, no tariff (NAFTA) ... so the price probably won't change.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts