Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
So I'm 60-ish kg (132 pounds), 175 cm (5 feet 9 inches) and my 6th season just came to an abrupt stop, like everyone i guess. I just sold my Spring Break Catamaran because it was too big (166) to do why I actually bought it for (riding switch in powder) with their one-size-didn't-fit-me.
So I've been actively looking for a new powder (true twin-ish) board to accompany my LibTech Hot Knife 156 (which I love!). It needs to be a bit more playful since at the end of powder days the slopes tend to be really bumpy and I'd like to ride that too, I'll be using it for slushy days as well. I was thinking since 166 was too big even for powder-days I have to look at boards more or less the size of my daily driver?
  • Bataleon Magic Carpet
  • Yes 20/20
  • Capita Spring Break Powder Twin
Are the ones I am looking at for now but will take any suggestions/tips!
ps: I'm looking at the 2021 versions of the boards mentioned above, money is not really an issue, just want the best board for me :)

·
Registered
242 Posts
Hello,
I have ridden any if those but if I decide to add a twinish powder board, I'd go for the Amplid Dada.
Camber, wide, like the orange topsheet and I am into Amplid for some reasons at the moment.
I have seen a few deals on it in France.
Their ideal recommended weight is > 70 kgs if i remember correctly. I am 85 kgs but would try it, might be on the bigger side for you.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello,
I have ridden any if those but if I decide to add a twinish powder board, I'd go for the Amplid Dada.
Camber, wide, like the orange topsheet and I am into Amplid for some reasons at the moment.
I have seen a few deals on it in France.
Their ideal recommended weight is > 70 kgs if i remember correctly. I am 85 kgs but would try it, might be on the bigger side for you.
Hey! Wow what a quick first responder! :p
I did not consider a lot of boards because they were not true twins. I do know of a few like the Korua Otto, Capita Spring Break Powder racer or LibTech Double Dip but was never sure if riding switch would feel normal (it's already hard enough as it is, no need to make it harder by not taking a true twin I was thinking). And in my search I did come across this board but they only make it in 154, and I'm already to light-weight for it the official page points out (min 63kg, perfect 75kg, max 87kg). If I google recommended snowboard sizes I get recommended a much smaller snowboard then what I'm riding now too so I'm a bit lost about sizes and not-true-twins :D
I do like the orange too, but can't judge a book by it's cover (but I do kinda hate how the 20/20 looks with the see-trough nose/tail^^)

·
Registered
242 Posts
Riding switch will not feel the same but would be more than doable.
I am an advanced rider but never rode switch more than a traverse or a few meters after a 180. I have started to do it a bit more now that i ride directional boards (?!?) and realized that most boards would work in some way. I have a Mind Expander than ride switch just fine on groomers.
I agree the Dada might be a touch big but should be doable as you are already used to a fairly big size for you.
A pure powder twin could be the Mahrar Lumberjack (or the cambered X version) but you wont get it here in Europe.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I suggest you get a proper powder board that can also carve and forget about riding switch on it completely as you will have a lot more fun with a lot less leg burn. You have your other board for riding switch I imagine and it's not good for your technique to try and adapt to something not suitable. You don't need anything over 155cm in that case being a lightweight as there are plenty of suitable boards under 150cm also that will do the job. Search other threads I suggest on powder boards as there are many good suggestions.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah sorry but I'm looking more for an excellent switch powder performance then just doab
Riding switch will not feel the same but would be more than doable.
I am an advanced rider but never rode switch more than a traverse or a few meters after a 180. I have started to do it a bit more now that i ride directional boards (?!?) and realized that most boards would work in some way. I have a Mind Expander than ride switch just fine on groomers.
I agree the Dada might be a touch big but should be doable as you are already used to a fairly big size for you.
A pure powder twin could be the Mahrar Lumberjack (or the cambered X version) but you wont get it here in Europe.
Yeah sorry but I'm looking more for an excellent switch powder performance then just doable. I ride about 1/3 of the way in switch even in powder, can't help it, it's just my style. 180's left and right :p
Thank you for thinking with me here my friend!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I suggest you get a proper powder board that can also carve and forget about riding switch on it completely as you will have a lot more fun with a lot less leg burn. You have your other board for riding switch I imagine and it's not good for your technique to try and adapt to something not suitable. You don't need anything over 155cm in that case being a lightweight as there are plenty of suitable boards under 150cm also that will do the job. Search other threads I suggest on powder boards as there are many good suggestions.
Hi, thank you for pitching in! I don't really get leg burn, probably something to do with my riding switch a lot and being on the hill 140+ days a year. Boards under 150? That sounds really small no? But I figure you're right that I don't need anything bigger then 155...Will do thanks!!

·
Registered
277 Posts
What about a 152cm Yes 420? I ride a lot of switch and rode one a couple of years back and it wasn't too bad riding switch, seemed good on kickers and in the powder.

·
Registered
242 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What about a 152cm Yes 420? I ride a lot of switch and rode one a couple of years back and it wasn't too bad riding switch, seemed good on kickers and in the powder.
Interesting!! Not sure how I feel about volume shifted boards... Haven't tried any extra wide+short boards, so forgive me for being skeptical, their website says that the 148 has the same surface area as a normal 160... very interesting indeed, might be a good move to look into this board or other similar boards! thanks!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Grab the last 150 and I am sure youll be extremely happy.

I would love to try that board as well.

If I could spend as much time as you do riding, I ll have that true powder twin and then something more directional. Especially if money is not a real issue.
Thanks for the affiliate link for the 20/20 from last year? :D You recommend a 150, not what I thought I needed, so I'm already glad for posting, such a different perspective!
I had a Catamaran (pretty directional) but didn't like it since switch was out of the question (even with the double swallow tail) because of it's size, should have been on the forum asking questions before I bought it last season, oh well, made a good friend really happy :D I wonder why they stopped making it!
Why should I get a directional board as well you think??

·
Registered
277 Posts
A good true twin is made for riding hard and holding a rail switch and natural, the others are not and you will have to compromise your technique and it will be shit anyway. If you are mainly popping 180's everywhere, tricks etc and not too fussed with hard carving, then stick to what you are looking for I reckon. That's my 2c worth.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Yeah this last year model, I like the topsheet of this year better but how you argue about 40%?
Just to be clear, maybe i have the wring idea about affiliate link, but I have absolutely no interest in you buying from this link!
If I was to get that board, I may for for the 150 myself (85kgs).
I own a 147 Party Platter which I could upsize but is nowhere as wide.
At a certain level of expertise, you can make a lot of different sizes work depe ding on intended terrain and compromise you are willing to make.
But I feel you would not compromise float on a 150 with a 278cm waist width and the size of the tip and tail.

I think directional would you show you a different way of riding. You spend such an enormous amount of time riding, you could definitely enjoy those big powder day on a short tailed surfy board. I used not to think much about my board and had twins, last couple of years, I have ridden Mind Expander so surfy, Hovercraft surfy, carvy, stable. They did make me improve my ride, so easy to ride powder, infinite float but really different boards. I got an Amplid Surfari for next year which I hope will float similarly but carve even more aggresively than the Hovercraft.
However now, I d like to try one of those twinish powder boards now.

My view is that with all those different shapes coming out, if you have the opportunity to try them go for it! Your riding will benefit.
Test weekends are a good options if you can.

Hope this make sense.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A good true twin is made for riding hard and holding a rail switch and natural, the others are not and you will have to compromise your technique and it will be shit anyway. If you are mainly popping 180's everywhere, tricks etc and not too fussed with hard carving, then stick to what you are looking for I reckon. That's my 2c worth.
Thanks, it's worth more then 2c's ;) ! I indeed do not care for hard carving on powder days, it's gonna be bumpy on the slopes then anyway :) Any big differences between the 3 I'm proposing? And I'm obviously not going in the park on my powder board so don't really care about that as well.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I went volume shifted last season, and it's been awesome. I got a Cool Bean 144 and a Slush Slasher 151. The extra volume floats great, and the extra width really lets you get low with carves. The shorter lengths feel really playful and are easy to throw around.

·
Registered
242 Posts
FYI, feel free to put my last message typos and others errors on whisky...
Still looks clear enough to me at the moment...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah this last year model, I like the topsheet of this year better but how you argue about 40%?
Just to be clear, maybe i have the wring idea about affiliate link, but I have absolutely no interest in you buying from this link!
If I was to get that board, I may for for the 150 myself (85kgs).
I own a 147 Party Platter which I could upsize but is nowhere as wide.
At a certain level of expertise, you can make a lot of different sizes work depe ding on intended terrain and compromise you are willing to make.
But I feel you would not compromise float on a 150 with a 278cm waist width and the size of the tip and tail.

I think directional would you show you a different way of riding. You spend such an enormous amount of time riding, you could definitely enjoy those big powder day on a short tailed surfy board. I used not to think much about my board and had twins, last couple of years, I have ridden Mind Expander so surfy, Hovercraft surfy, carvy, stable. They did make me improve my ride, so easy to ride powder, infinite float but really different boards. I got an Amplid Surfari for next year which I hope will float similarly but carve even more aggresively than the Hovercraft.
However now, I d like to try one of those twinish powder boards now.

My view is that with all those different shapes coming out, if you have the opportunity to try them go for it! Your riding will benefit.
Test weekends are a good options if you can.

Hope this make sense.
True, I'm getting last year's or next year's. The topsheet of this year I just can't look at. Doesn't have to be pretty but that's to a point :p
My mistake, just saw the word affiliate in the link^^
Thanks for the tips on picking the right size!

You're right, I did enjoy that Catamaran as well on all the powder days this year, VERY surfy in that ONE direction. But I feel like it makes it just easier to surf on the powder, but even with my previous board (Rome Agent Rocker 2015) which should not be good in powder, I could create the same surfy feeling with just a little more effort and counter-rotation in my turn, which I don't mind putting in.
Why do people want carvy powder boards? :D Whatever floats your boat I guess! :)
Thanks for sharing all your experiences with these different boards, looking at the spec sheets of the ones you are describing helps me a lot on learning what to look for!!
I won't get to try them :'( They don't do test weekends that big here in France, or maybe just one Brand at a time. And I'll never get to try them all on powder days. I just want it for the start of next season :)
Great help!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts